Syncing two MB servers

chjohans

chjohans

I have a a setup which involves 2 different locations and I have a NAS box on both locations. One is the "master" and all new content is added there, and it is constantly syncing any new content to the second location. I'm using "Media Center Master" to grab metadata and organize all my files, downloads etc so my MB servers are set not to download metadata.

Both locations have a PC running MB server.

I would like to syncronize that "status" between the two servers as both locations have the same users. Right now I'm using the trakt.tv plugin to synchronize "watched state" between the two servers, and that is working pretty good.

But I was wondering if there is a better strategy for keeping the servers in sync? Being able to synchronize "everything" including "resume state" between the two servers would be welcomed.

Anyone?

chjohans

Thanks but not sure how this will help me, maybe I was not clear in my original post. I'm not looking to keep the server settings in sync, thats easy enough. I'm tring to keep the watched flags, progress flags, playstates etc in sync between the two servers. None of these will help me to do that.

Happy2Play

I'm tring to keep the watched flags, progress flags, playstates etc in sync between the two servers.

My understanding is that information is stored here.  So syncing those files should accomplish what you are looking for.  Same way EBR's plugin backs up users and userdata information.

MediaBrowser-Server/data/userdata_v2.db
MediaBrowser-Server/data/users.db

The new configuration backup plug-in does allow you to backup and restore users and user-specific item info (play states, resume, favorites, etc.).  However, it isn't really designed for what you are trying to do.  You could schedule a backup, but not a restore.  Plus, you have a potential problem with "who wins" when you use the other server.

chjohans

Yup, I see the problem. Really can't use the backup/restore function.

Need a new server-top-server function to accomplish this, in the mean time I'll just stick with having the watched status synced by using the trakt.tv plugin. :)

My impression was that maybe the two servers were not on the same network but, even so, I think that could be a very dangerous thing to try.  I don't know if SQLite is designed for sharing db files with multiple instances of the db engine.

MrWebsmith

jsut throwing this out there but can the serers "share" some of those dbs using symlinks in the filesystem..

@@ebr do you think there would be dire consequences of that.. im thinking along the lines of your "who wins" comment above and simultanous accesses that wouldnt be good for either mbs..

disclaimer: i dont have this setup and cant speak to if this would/could work.. but its a thought to "share" those items in real time

My impression was that maybe the two servers were not on the same network but, even so, I think that could be a very dangerous thing to try.  I don't know if SQLite is designed for sharing db files with multiple instances of the db engine.

Even if it is we are in no way prepared to offer support on such a setup. Users are doing it at their own risk.

• 7 months later...
Dibbes

Though as Luke says, this isn't supported, did anyone find a workable solution for this?

Reason I'm asking is that I my setup involves 2 servers, on the same network, one of these directly installed on the same machine as Kodi on the HTPC in the livingroom (to minimize freeze and connection errors and loading of graphics is a lot faster) and a 2nd always-on more powerful, but less aesthetically pleasing machine for streaming/encoding to various other devices. As the cabling in my apartment is not superb (currently working with Devolo Powerline 1200+) and I can't change this as it a rented place, having a server installed on the HTPC is a must.

A replicated (or shared) database would be a very nice option.

• 4 months later...
MSattler

Though as Luke says, this isn't supported, did anyone find a workable solution for this?

Reason I'm asking is that I my setup involves 2 servers, on the same network, one of these directly installed on the same machine as Kodi on the HTPC in the livingroom (to minimize freeze and connection errors and loading of graphics is a lot faster) and a 2nd always-on more powerful, but less aesthetically pleasing machine for streaming/encoding to various other devices. As the cabling in my apartment is not superb (currently working with Devolo Powerline 1200+) and I can't change this as it a rented place, having a server installed on the HTPC is a must.

A replicated (or shared) database would be a very nice option.

So far the alternative is really just to split the user base among two separate servers.  You could move users between servers by using the backup/restore functionality.  The only way this will ever change is if a database like mysql ends up being used.  Here is to hoping =)

hatharry

I have also been trying to sync db's. I setup a 3 server load balancing cluster with dfs and iis. I found the db files are locked and only get written to when emby closes. changes are stored in the ram until flushed. This means updates are not real-time and the wanted db has to be the last emby to close for it to 'Win' .

MSattler

I have also been trying to sync db's. I setup a 3 server load balancing cluster with dfs and iis. I found the db files are locked and only get written to when emby closes. changes are stored in the ram until flushed. This means updates are not real-time and the wanted db has to be the last emby to close for it to 'Win' .

Interesting.  How does one switch to using IIS instead of the build in web server?   Any performance increases?

hatharry

Interesting.  How does one switch to using IIS instead of the build in web server?   Any performance increases?

The built in web server is still in use. Performance is the same. ARR from the web platform can be used as a reverse proxy and load balancer by creating a server farm.

Dibbes

Can't you use the trakt plugin to sync those things?

Trakt isn't really all that stable... It keeps failing to sync. Also, when wanting to switch device, trakt won't help. In other words, you'd lose a bunch of functionality...

Dibbes

Sounds like a job for an ESXi cluster and a shared redundant storage.

Not everyone has the space and money for a setup like yours :)

Besides, it wouldn't help me, at least not in a way that I can see...

MSattler

Not everyone has the space and money for a setup like yours :)

Besides, it wouldn't help me, at least not in a way that I can see...

I am curious how he thinks ESXI would help in this matter?

You're still limited to do utilization of one Server.

The only real answer would be to have a backend database that multiple frontends can connect to. then you can put three virtual load bouncing then you can put a free virtual load balancing application in front of it.

• Like 1

Dibbes

The only real answer would be to have a backend database that multiple frontends can connect to. then you can put three virtual load bouncing then you can put a free virtual load balancing application in front of it.

That's the reason I don't see how it would help me... As you suggested a few days ago, I'd need something like SQL or MySQL...

MSattler

That's the reason I don't see how it would help me... As you suggested a few days ago, I'd need something like SQL or MySQL...

Exactly.  It just would mean some work being done to make the database piece modular.  I was hoping someone else would be willing to look into it as I know Luke and EBR are busy coding everything else.