Finally Switched to Emby Theater

LyleHome

LyleHome

Greetings Emby Team,

After about 8 years using Emby for Windows Media Center (subdued plugin and MPC Player), I finally paid for a lifetime subscription. For 2 months now have been using the Emby Theater App.  I really hesitated for a long time but I’m surprised how I’ve come to enjoy/appreciate it.  You’ve done a great job! I really like the resume feature, collections and other benefits that seem to be more elegant with Emby Theater.  Worth the money. That being said, I hope it’s okay if I list a few of the features I miss. I use this system for my living room TV and a mouse.  I rarely use the keyboard.  I did search for each of these topics before writing to you. 

1)     Would be nice to control volume with the mouse wheel (without impacting gaming, etc).

2)     Can the 10sec skip feature be controlled with mouse side keys?

3)     I typically don’t like black bars on the sides – is there any way for user to set default aspect ratio?  It’s always set for auto and I prefer ‘fill’ or ‘cover’. I realize this sometimes makes Ginger and Mary Anne look a little wider than they should, but that’s okay.

4)     The re-sizing is a bit clunky. It’s limited in that the smallest is about ¼ screen and it’s sometimes hard to grab the edges (I have to wait 5 seconds for on-screen-display to turn off).  With MPC it was quite simple…I could grab the edges anytime and re-size it as small as I like.  For example, I do this to read the news while having ‘Love American Style’ playing in the lower corner.

5)     And finally, how do I keep the player ‘always on top’?  I’ve tried using task manager settings but that doesn’t do the trick. If I’m scrolling through the news (or FB or whatever) with Emby in the lower corner, I don’t want to keep having to click on the taskbar in order to reenable Jonny Quest. MPC had a simple setting to enable ‘always on top’.

Okay, that’s it.  None of these are show stoppers; as I said, I’m very happy

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, LyleHome said:

Greetings Emby Team,

After about 8 years using Emby for Windows Media Center (subdued plugin and MPC Player), I finally paid for a lifetime subscription. For 2 months now have been using the Emby Theater App.  I really hesitated for a long time but I’m surprised how I’ve come to enjoy/appreciate it.  You’ve done a great job! I really like the resume feature, collections and other benefits that seem to be more elegant with Emby Theater.  Worth the money. That being said, I hope it’s okay if I list a few of the features I miss. I use this system for my living room TV and a mouse.  I rarely use the keyboard.  I did search for each of these topics before writing to you. 

1)     Would be nice to control volume with the mouse wheel (without impacting gaming, etc).

2)     Can the 10sec skip feature be controlled with mouse side keys?

3)     I typically don’t like black bars on the sides – is there any way for user to set default aspect ratio?  It’s always set for auto and I prefer ‘fill’ or ‘cover’. I realize this sometimes makes Ginger and Mary Anne look a little wider than they should, but that’s okay.

4)     The re-sizing is a bit clunky. It’s limited in that the smallest is about ¼ screen and it’s sometimes hard to grab the edges (I have to wait 5 seconds for on-screen-display to turn off).  With MPC it was quite simple…I could grab the edges anytime and re-size it as small as I like.  For example, I do this to read the news while having ‘Love American Style’ playing in the lower corner.

5)     And finally, how do I keep the player ‘always on top’?  I’ve tried using task manager settings but that doesn’t do the trick. If I’m scrolling through the news (or FB or whatever) with Emby in the lower corner, I don’t want to keep having to click on the taskbar in order to reenable Jonny Quest. MPC had a simple setting to enable ‘always on top’.

Okay, that’s it.  None of these are show stoppers; as I said, I’m very happy

Ah a subdued user!! Hehe one of my theme’s 

so, depending on what mouse you have, you may have an app to set up different controls for the mouse for different apps. I can do this with my Razor mouse. That might be one option.

i think there are args you can add to the launch path that can do this, part of the app properties window. Google adding args to path to see what’s available 

• Like 1

LyleHome

Thank you, I loved the Subdued plugin!  Unfortunately when I finally had to update my computer and lost windows media center, I think I lost the ability to use that plugin.  I'm now using Windows 10 and the Emby Theater player (no media center). I'll need to have a look and see if I can change my mouse (I think I can).  But wondering if that will change how the mouse works with games.  Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Edited by LyleHome

Bottles51
15 hours ago, LyleHome said:

You could show your support here as i have asked for this as well.