Actor/Voice Actor Region Changes --- also, Characters?

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

Howdy, its been a while since I stopped in to make a suggestion! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

While cleaning/pruning Actors/Voice Actors, I had a few thoughts on/around this area.

First off (I'll go post this as a bugs after; but I assume it has been changed because its probably a little arsine to do):

Under the metadata for any given TV Series, updating the STUDIO field will in turn change/update the Network. There is no "Studio" for TV Series on the quick select bar.

---

Outside of that, I've been thinking that the Actor/Voice Actor section REALLY needs an update/overhaul.

First off, I got to thinking that a great many people may not care who the actor/voice actor is on a given TV Series or Movie. They may just care who the characters are.

I'd imagine it would be nice to have several sections collapsible or even turned off by user and/or admin preferences.

That being said, I'd suggest the fields that fall under a Movie/Series should have the following (ordered)

1. Chapters
  2. Major Characters (Protagonists) 
  3. Major Characters (Antagonists)
  4. Minor Characters (Maybe divide both?)
  5. Cast (Togglable between regions)
  6. Voice Actors (for situations where its a live action dub)
  7. Principle crew (Executive Producer, Producer, Writer, Director)
  8. Auxiliary Crew (This edges on getting a little overkill)
  9. Original "Broadcast" network
  10. Current "Broadcast/Streaming" Network
  11. Distributors
  12. Studios
  13. Links (As a SEPERATE suggestion for another thread --- can we get Show Specific Wikis and Wikipedia links here?)
  14. File(s)
  15. Meta Info

---

Now before anyone says "Hey, this might be a whole bunch of overkill", let me first off say that I don't DIRECTLY envision a new table or dynamic web addon (or whatever tech is being used;  I honestly never explored what/how Emby uses for this).

I'm kind of in the habit of asking Devs/Designers "Hey, this is the information I'd like to have" and let them present a few tests of how they'd like to do it (I know people like Luke, if he remembers me atm knows this; but for those reading my post(s) for the first time, there's my M.O.).

Let me cite a way I MIGHT present this info for Characters:

I'd probably have a tick box to show each classification of characters with each type having a different "aura" (outer glow). Protagonists might have a green aura while Antagonists might have a red aura.

I'd probably like to see a dynamic "turn card" to change between region actors/voice actors. Basically, a little dynamic affect that litterally turned over the current actor/voice actor to show the preferred region/studio (studio for cases like DBZ that have had multiple voice actor studios)

---

As far as Original Network, Current Network, Distributor and Studios go --- I find this is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE problem with many sites (this includes Netflix, Amazon, etc) ATM. They just group *ALL* of the above into one "thing". For instance, looking at a series like Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War (highly recommend for those into anime who havent tried it yet!) There is the Japanese Broadcast Network (TV Tokyo), the US Broadcast Network (Toonami), the US Streaming Network (Crunchyroll), the Rights Holder (Viz Media), the publisher (Shonen Jump), the Animation Studio (Pierrot), and The Dub Studio(s) (Viz Media).

In Emby (and MOST streaming apps) --- this *ALL* gets dumped under "Studio" or some variation of it. 

---

For the Links section, I know this might be an undertaking how to grab the right pages since the consistency is a little less "accurate" since there isnt a fixed numbering system like, say IMDB. However, I find if I want more information on a given series; wikipedia ultimately ends up being the place I end up at.

---

Finally, I dont think there's ANY reason for non-admins to see File and Metadata information. Thats one of TWO features I noticed I felt Emby needed in my quick stent looking at/discovering Jellyfin. I very much want an option in user profiles on the admin console to turn that off.

---

That's it for my big suggestion here. Hope to have a good discussion on this =D

Edited by Lighthammer

1. Major Characters (Protagonists) 
  2. Major Characters (Antagonists)
  3. Minor Characters (Maybe divide both?)

Hi, I'd have to check, but I don't think the data we get from moviedb/tvdb has this level of information on the characters of each show/movie. @Happy2Play may know.

Lighthammer
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, I'd have to check, but I don't think the data we get from moviedb/tvdb has this level of information on the characters of each show/movie. @Happy2Play may know.

Hey Luke, thanks for responding.

I almost certainly know they don't unless these are hidden fields. I doubt the database designers or website designers had the forethought to do this. There are more niche sites that do. Toonzone comes to mind.  For a lot of series, I tend to go in and manually edit them based upon what the Wikipedia articles outline or if I know from my direct knowledge.

I don't know about you, but I find it annoying when you scroll down on a series/movie and it sometimes won't even list the primary protagonist until the 8th+ spot. For instance, I TOTALLY recall editing Star Wars Episode 7 because Rey wasnt even physically on the screen when navigating to the movie. She WAS listed as an actor, but she was just sooooooo far down the list, you had to scroll over to see her.

Its also weird when you get a list of actors and have something like "Trash Man #1" as the first person listed.

Now, I know I am listing off a few edge cases and its not typically THAT bad; but its usually far from ideal. I don't often bother cleaning the metadata on movies because unless I can narrow it down to like 3-5 characters super fast that I want to be seen.

For TV Series, I tend to be super critical at cleaning it.

I know this is can only be as good as you can scrape from websites. It kind of goes back to my desire to have an SQL Database hosted someplace with metadata cleaned up in similar fashion. 

• Thanks 1