Too many errors, giving up. Files don't direct play.

WanderingCr0W
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

WanderingCr0W

Hi, it's a very weird problem i had recently. Emby stopped direct playing NETFLIX WEB-DL's and only them. Basically every other similar web-dl's from Amazon or HBO or Disney all playing fine. What's weird is that emby for web-os playing that exact files without problems. What's even weirder that not all netflix web-dl's are affected, only recent ones. I compared MediaInfo's of working netflix web-dl's to the ones that not and they are absolutely similar. So i have no idea what's happening there.

I also sent logs from the AndroidTV app at 13:20 EST. User: Th3LostArt File: Glass.Onion.A.Knives.Out.Mystery.2022.2160p.NF.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.HDR.DV-MZABI

embyserver.txt embyserver-63808204270.txt ffmpeg-directstream-4383f2e8-2bbb-466e-9ad3-53ac2e4d1fd2_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-ccd707ee-3d17-402f-a951-639eb92dc528_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-e92b5ee5-1846-4103-a2b6-a3bf4733421e_1.txt hardware_detection-63808204290.txt working-MediaInfo.txt notworking-MediaInfo.txt

GuybrushMonkey

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue on both Android clients (Android TV 2.0.83g and Emby for Android 3.2.90) running on a Nvidia Shield.

As the shield is the 2017 model w/o Dolby Vision I've removed the DV RPUs from one of the affected files leaving only the HDR10 metadata (just for testing), but it refuses to direct play anyway... 😕

Edited by GuybrushMonkey

WanderingCr0W
2 minutes ago, GuybrushMonkey said:

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue on both Android clients (Android TV 2.0.83g and Emby for Android 3.2.90) running on a Nvidia Shield.

As the shield is the 2017 model w/o Dolby Vision I've removed the DV RPUs from one of the affected files leaving only the HDR10 metadata (just for testing), but it refuses to direct play anyway... 😕

I'm also using Shield (2019 Pro model). I don't have any idea what can cause this very specific issue...

Hi.  What does "stopped playing" mean?  What, exactly, happens?

Nevermind.  Here is why they are not playing.

Enable Video Playback Transcoding: False
        Enable Audio Playback Transcoding: False

Please read the help text below those options.

WanderingCr0W
51 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What does "stopped playing" mean?  What, exactly, happens?

Nevermind.  Here is why they are not playing.

Enable Video Playback Transcoding: False
        Enable Audio Playback Transcoding: False

Please read the help text below those options.

Hi, but it should't transcode at all. Everything is in the same local network. Of course if i enable transcoding the file will play. By "stopped playing" i mean that when i hit play on a video it's just closes shortly afterwards with "too many errors, giving up". The interesting thing is that web-os version of the emby in the same network will direct play those files. Plex on the Shield will also direct play those.

Update: I changed default player to VLC and now emby (AndroidTV version) is direct playing the video but Dolby Vision isn't working (only HDR).

Edited by WanderingCr0W
Update

GuybrushMonkey
1 hour ago, WanderingCr0W said:

Hi, but it should't transcode at all. Everything is in the same local network. Of course if i enable transcoding the file will play. By "stopped playing" i mean that when i hit play on a video it's just closes shortly afterwards with "too many errors, giving up". The interesting thing is that web-os version of the emby in the same network will direct play those files. Plex on the Shield will also direct play those.

Update: I changed default player to VLC and now emby (AndroidTV version) is direct playing the video but Dolby Vision isn't working (only HDR).

Yep, transcoding is out of the question.

I was hoping to avoid the need of an external player... but that's nice to know, thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, WanderingCr0W said:

but it should't transcode at all

It is trying to direct play but throwing an error of some sort so needs to fall back.  Also cannot direct stream so my guess would be the Dolby Vision profile.

GuybrushMonkey

Can confirm, it Direct Plays with no issues when not using emby internal player.

21 hours ago, WanderingCr0W said:

Afaik VLC won't use Dolby Vision and it just falls back to HDR10, but I may be wrong.

WanderingCr0W
7 hours ago, GuybrushMonkey said:

Can confirm, it Direct Plays with no issues when not using emby internal player.

Afaik VLC won't use Dolby Vision and it just falls back to HDR10, but I may be wrong.

I'm glad it works for you. I personally like the ability of internal player to change the height of subtitles (useful when you play encodes without black bars (3840x1600 for example)) and Dolby Vision is great too. So VLC is not ideal.. I guess i would use plex for these specific files that don't direct play with emby... or will try to find another external player which have those features.

GuybrushMonkey
15 minutes ago, WanderingCr0W said:

I'm glad it works for you. I personally like the ability of internal player to change the height of subtitles (useful when you play encodes without black bars (3840x1600 for example)) and Dolby Vision is great too. So VLC is not ideal.. I guess i would use plex for these specific files that don't direct play with emby... or will try to find another external player which have those features.

Oh, it doesn't work for me at all, I don't want to use anything but emby... I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

I've already uninstalled all the external players, I was just testing them to confirm (as you did before) that the shield 2017 can also play those files without issues.

WanderingCr0W
26 minutes ago, GuybrushMonkey said:

Oh, it doesn't work for me at all, I don't want to use anything but emby... I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

I've already uninstalled all the external players, I was just testing them to confirm (as you did before) that the shield 2017 can also play those files without issues.

Okay. Let me know if you find some other solution!

• 3 weeks later...
WanderingCr0W
47 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try updating to the latest version of the sideload build?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

We've updated our embedded video player to the latest version. Let's see if it plays better with that. Thanks !

Yes! All affected files are Direct Playing now! I hope you update AndroidTV app too.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
3049nq8nsrvt
On 1/18/2023 at 11:15 PM, Luke said:

Can you try updating to the latest version of the sideload build?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

We've updated our embedded video player to the latest version. Let's see if it plays better with that. Thanks !

So will this upgrade be deployed to the emby shield app inside the store?

Or do i now need to use the "normal" android app for my shield?

rbjtech
3 hours ago, 3049nq8nsrvt said:

So will this upgrade be deployed to the emby shield app inside the store?

Or do i now need to use the "normal" android app for my shield?

Just side load the latest AndroidTV (2087) version the same as you did for the Android app - this has the same fix as the Android version (updated Exo Player).

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/