Why is Emby trying to transcode this on my Roku TV?

flashls82
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

GiGo
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Log sent :)
File; Ted Lasso - 4-5-1
Time; 01:22
User; Holly & Giles
Logs also attached, its a large log file as I hadn't restarted the server before testing, sorry.

ffmpeg-remux-49f1c273-fe3c-41b9-9b71-699fa954a18c_1.txt embyserver.txt

Okay, so the device is reporting no support for any Dolby audio.  What is it connected to and how?

GiGo
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, so the device is reporting no support for any Dolby audio.  What is it connected to and how?

The Roku is connected to my TV via a HDMI cable, no idea what version cable, which I assume could make a difference?  TV is a Techwood 4k, not sure what audio it supports, will look into it.

EDIT: the Roku says Available Dolby Audio-TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, I do have the resolution set to 1080p if that is likely to make a difference, all my content is 1080p. - This was when I set it to custom on Dolby Digital 

EDIT EDIT: When audio is set to Auto it lists available; Dolby Atmos-DD+ and DTS_HD Master Audio

Edited by GiGo

2 hours ago, GiGo said:

When audio is set to Auto it lists available; Dolby Atmos-DD+ and DTS_HD Master Audio

Where, exactly, is the audio set to auto?  The TV?  The Roku?

I find it unlikely that the TV accepts DTS-HDMA as an input but the device certainly isn't reporting that in the app.

Have you tested with different audio settings on either the TV or Roku?

GiGo
18 hours ago, ebr said:

Where, exactly, is the audio set to auto?  The TV?  The Roku?

I find it unlikely that the TV accepts DTS-HDMA as an input but the device certainly isn't reporting that in the app.

Have you tested with different audio settings on either the TV or Roku?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, the auto setting is on the Roku. I will look into the TV settings, I never use the TV only use the Roku so will check the settings to see what it accepts.

GiGo

Not sure if it's relevant, but looking at the specs of the TV says;

Audio Decoders;
DTS, Dolby Atmos

I've looked on the TV settings and set that to both PCM and Passthrough and Auto and it still transcodes it the EAC3 stream to AAC. I literally have no idea what most of this means TBH. I've got other files that are EAC3 and they also transcode, but the system transcodes fast enough to keep up.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Looking further at the specs under 'USB and Media' it states;

Supported Audio Formats
AAC,AC3,EAC3,FLAC,M4A,MP3,OGG,WAV,WMA

I assume the above is for files loaded via USB using there inbuilt player rather than via a Roku? IDK, I'm not very technical when it comes to TV's and audio. I assume the supported audio formats would extend to the Roku as it's through putting to the TV.

Edited by GiGo

GiGo

Just to add, I'm currently watching a file that has a EAC3 Stereo stream and it's direct playing, but the other EAC3 5.1 Streams transcode. I assume that the TV will support EAC3 Stereo and not EAC3 5.1? If so by getting a 5.1 system would I be able to solve this problem?

1 hour ago, GiGo said:

If so by getting a 5.1 system would I be able to solve this problem?

Possibly.  Note, however, that in none of your examples is the item transcoding.  It is only remuxing and converting the audio format which should take very little resources on your server.

GiGo
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Possibly.  Note, however, that in none of your examples is the item transcoding.  It is only remuxing and converting the audio format which should take very little resources on your server.

Hmm..... this is weird in the Dashboard it says Transcoding, surely it needs to be changed in the dashboard to say remuxing? I was going to grab a screenshot to show, but for some reason whatever setting I have changed on my TV it is now Direct Playing the audio! Even tho when I was playing around yesterday with settings it kept transcoding/remuxing.

Thanks for you help! I'll remember to delve into TV settings next time I have an issue with Audio!

• Thanks 1