Emby Server on travel (Nvidia Shield)

Tsch3ns

Tsch3ns

I plan to take my Nvidia Shield with me on a 1-weeks travel. I am aware that the premiere features might be disabled after one week without internet connection, but this doesnt seem to be a problem for me since I could provide a interimistig hotspot via my phone to re-enable the premiere features. But my question is: How do I connect with mobile devices to the Shield since I will NOT have a network connection with DHCP and therefore I assume the shield device will have a unkown/undefined IP adress in a different address range that the mobile devices. Any ideas if and how this might work anyway?

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, Tsch3ns said:

How do I connect with mobile devices to the Shield

Obtain a travel router or use one of your mobile devices to act as a hotspot (even without internet connection) and connect other devices to it, including Shield. 

• Thanks 1

Tsch3ns

Good idea, thanks. I took my backup router with me. I am facing some troubles, however:

After everything was installed (no Emby Premiere code used yet), it worked as expected on Nvidia Shield. As soon as I entered the premiere code, I got the info that the code was wrong. Obviously because there was no internet connection yet. After setting up the interimistic internet connection, it accepted the premiere code, but for some reasons I could not play videos. The play button was simply ignored. After some fiddling around it started to work, no idea why.

On the mobile devices I have the following issues: Of course all mobile devices connect to the router because it is a 1:1 copy of my home router. But no device which is connected to the router gets internet access via the router. This seems to cause some confusion among the devices. On Android, I had to disable „use mobile data“ in order to get Emby running. On iOS, I had the same problem as on the Shield device at the beginning: play button was ignored. After about half an hour I got the message on my iPad that there seems to be no internet connection via the WLAN and was asked if I would like to use mobile data instead. After confirming, everything works now. Obviously, some mobile devices need internet access in order to get Emby premiere to work, others not!?

The whole configuration process without internet connection was a real pain in the a## and I see much potential for improvement here.

Regards,

Jens

• 2 weeks later...
Tsch3ns

At the end it worked until the end of my stay. Next time I will start the server at home immediately before I go on holiday in order to let it "phone home" one last time. I assume this should reduce the configuration issues I faced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1