Subtitles are missing and I dont know why

KLF&TLF

KLF&TLF

Hi guys

I am at a complete loss here. My subtitles are working on a good number of shows however my latest edition "The Recruit" won't load or read my subtitles. 

When I downloaded the season it had a file structure of:

The Recruit/The Recruit Season 1/Episodes 1 - 8

The Recruit/The Recruit Season 1/Subs

See attached

Now episode 2 requires subs for the Russian so you can test if need be.

So if I use the search facility it won't find any however Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan is perfect and not a problem. I have searched for other subtitle files and swapped them in but still no joy. I have the VIP OpenSubtitles plugin set and in my scheduled tasks run my subs update every 2 hours 

Now the only difference that I can sort of see is that my pop up search dialog box doesn't have the same options as the images used in the Manual Subtitles Download of 2019 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Happy new year to all reading 

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 11.10.41 am.png

GrimReaper

Don't know if \subs subfolder is even supported for TV shows (it is for Movies in its own folders), but even if it were I reckon subs name would have to match episode filename, it wouldn't work with them named as they are. Or just rename & move them 2 levels up. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
The file name must match the video file name

To my knowledge subfolder "Subs" is not supported.

Emby Subtitles :

@cayarswe many need examples specific to TV but in the end I believe the same rules apply (subs next to media with same name).

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Might have some hope.  Don't know if any testing has been done here though.

KLF&TLF

OK so I have tried the naming convention suggested, I have moved the files and still no such luck.

I have now got to ask some backwards questions. 

Where I stand right now is this. I think my problem is sort of simple. My working subs are referencing the file from OpenSubs which is all good. My working example of something working is Echo 3.

Attached is a screenshot of what I get when I look for subs and my folder structure which clearly shows no subs. So therefore it is reading from OpenSubs. When I go to Opensubs and search for "The Recruit" there are subs  there but it is not referencing Opensubs

So if you are wanting TV series with subs here are a bunch

Echo 3, Narcos, Narcos Mexico, Chernobyl, Borat Americas Lockdown, Dead Still, Dan Browns Last Symbol, Devils, Counterpart, As The Crow Files, Bron (2011) (The Bridge original), Borderliner, Forbrydelsen (the original The Killing), Homeland, Peaky Blinders, You, White Lotus (Season 2), and Squid Game.

These are just some that I can think of off the top of my head. So while I think my problem is more the plugin I do think you guys need to look at how you deal with subs in shows if you haven't.

But I still haven't fixed my problem.

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 2.14.28 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 2.13.56 pm.jpg

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, KLF&TLF said:

Attached is a screenshot of what I get when I look for subs and my folder structure which clearly shows no subs. So therefore it is reading from OpenSubs.

It doesnt. Those are internal subs, embedded into the video file. If you scroll down, you'll eventually come to Search button, upon which you'll get results from OpenSubtitles listed (but not yet downloaded) if available. 

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, KLF&TLF said:

OK so I have tried the naming convention suggested, I have moved the files and still no such luck.

Can you share screenshot of your folder now after renaming/moving? 

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:
The file name must match the video file name

To my knowledge subfolder "Subs" is not supported.

Emby Subtitles :

@cayarswe many need examples specific to TV but in the end I believe the same rules apply (subs next to media with same name).

Happy2Play, where does it mention subfolders?

I rewrote the line to:

"External subtitles should use the same file name as the movie/show except for the extension."

KLF&TLF

Here is the adjusted names and location screenshot 

I think I renamed it correctly but please let me know if I didn't so I can try your suggestion.

Based on this configuration this is what I get for subs now

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 6.35.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 6.37.10 pm.png

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, KLF&TLF said:

I think I renamed it correctly but please let me know if I didn't so I can try your suggestion.

Subs need to be named exactly as the video file (followed by language code), i.e. for Ep 2 they'd be:

The.Recruit.S01E02.WEBRip.x265-ION265[eztv.re].en.srt

Emby Subtitles

KLF&TLF

@GrimReaper I am trying that naming convention now but what do I do when I have 4 different English files for the subs?

Also OpenSubs got back to me and it they are half the problem at the moment as well de to their error so we are all trying 

KLF&TLF

OK dont know which file to consistently select but out of the five different English sub files that I have and renaming them one at a time I have one working as long as the episode and sub file names are the same and both are in the same location. I have tested this as the following to confirm for you guys as some people do like their files set within other parameters 

The Recruit/The Recruit Season One/ The Recruit S01E01.mkv 

The Recruit/The Recruit Season One/ The Recruit S01E01.str

Or 

The Recruit/The Recruit Season One/ The Recruit S01E02/The Recruit S01E01.mkv 

The Recruit/The Recruit Season One/ The Recruit S01E02/The Recruit S01E01.str

Now I appreciate the assistance on this so I can continue watching but any suggestions on what to do with all the other English sub files?

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.03.45 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.02.54 am.png

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, KLF&TLF said:

I am trying that naming convention now but what do I do when I have 4 different English files for the subs?

Not all of those subs are the same, we'll take example of the screenshot you posted earlier:

image.png.b098679d02d564b64437ab7c055a3b8c.png

Of those 3 english subs there, one is likely forced subtitle (only non-English spoken parts are subbed), one is likely full subs and one is likely HI/SDH/HoH (Hearing Impaired/Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing/Hard of hearing), which is basically same as full subs with addition of Closed Captions like [Phone ringing] or [Music plays] and such, you get the idea.

Between them, forced would be smallest in size (smallest amount of text), then full then HI/SDH/HoH (full+captions), that should give you an indication at a glance. You can also open each of them and check the contents: forced subs will have smallest number of lines and they would typically start some time later (not always); full subs have no captions (no text between square brackets [xxxxx]) and HI/SDH/HoH with biggest number of lines/largest amount of text.

Forced subs are typically appended with suffix "forced" after language code, i.e. <episodename>.en.forced.ext.

Full subs usually carry no suffix, i.e. <episodename>.en.ext.

HI/SDH/HoH subs typically have "hi/sdh/hoh" suffix, i.e.  <episodename>.en.hi.ext. or <episodename>.en.sdh.ext or <episodename>.en.hoh.ext

(btw, @Luke, is Emby already ingesting HI/SDH/HoH subs, following this thread?)

Anyway, in your case, I'd name forced subs as <episodename>.en.forced.ext, HI subs as <episodename>.en.ext and full subs as <episodename>.en.default.ext (default tag is not subtitle-type-related tag, it only tells the player that that sub should be selected by default when playing media) or only <episodename>.ext (no language code so it'd show as "Und" in your subtitle list). That way you'd have all three subs listed in subtitle dropdown to choose.

Hope all that makes some sense. Have a read here again: Emby Subtitles

KLF&TLF

Thanks that does. While I get most programming and logical setups sometimes it just doesn’t gel. Also downloading isn’t the best option but it’s better than spending over 500/m to get the shows we watch so subs aren’t labeled the best. 
Open subs has a problem at the moment so it’s old school solutions so thanks for putting up with me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 7:21 PM, GrimReaper said:

Not all of those subs are the same, we'll take example of the screenshot you posted earlier:

image.png.b098679d02d564b64437ab7c055a3b8c.png

Of those 3 english subs there, one is likely forced subtitle (only non-English spoken parts are subbed), one is likely full subs and one is likely HI/SDH/HoH (Hearing Impaired/Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing/Hard of hearing), which is basically same as full subs with addition of Closed Captions like [Phone ringing] or [Music plays] and such, you get the idea.

Between them, forced would be smallest in size (smallest amount of text), then full then HI/SDH/HoH (full+captions), that should give you an indication at a glance. You can also open each of them and check the contents: forced subs will have smallest number of lines and they would typically start some time later (not always); full subs have no captions (no text between square brackets [xxxxx]) and HI/SDH/HoH with biggest number of lines/largest amount of text.

Forced subs are typically appended with suffix "forced" after language code, i.e. <episodename>.en.forced.ext.

Full subs usually carry no suffix, i.e. <episodename>.en.ext.

HI/SDH/HoH subs typically have "hi/sdh/hoh" suffix, i.e.  <episodename>.en.hi.ext. or <episodename>.en.sdh.ext or <episodename>.en.hoh.ext

(btw, @Luke, is Emby already ingesting HI/SDH/HoH subs, following this thread?)

Anyway, in your case, I'd name forced subs as <episodename>.en.forced.ext, HI subs as <episodename>.en.ext and full subs as <episodename>.en.default.ext (default tag is not subtitle-type-related tag, it only tells the player that that sub should be selected by default when playing media) or only <episodename>.ext (no language code so it'd show as "Und" in your subtitle list). That way you'd have all three subs listed in subtitle dropdown to choose.

Hope all that makes some sense. Have a read here again: Emby Subtitles

HI, the hearing impaired status for subtitles, both internal and external will be supported in Emby Server 4.8:

image.png

Thanks.