Nextpvr plugin vs M3U for Emby

pctravel

pctravel

I've been using Nextpvr for years with Kodi for recording with my Ceton tuner (using the extra wrapper for it) and NextPVR (v5.2)  I just came across a post to setup Nextpvr live tv to Emby (using v4.7.5) using M3U which I did and Viola it seems to be working perfect. My only question is then I came across a NextPVR plugin.

My question is whether there are any improved benefits using the NextPVR Plugin vs the "add tv source" and m3U option??  Hate to mess anything up that seems to be working.

I run Emby server on a truenas jail and NextPVR on a separate Windows 10 PC I use as a media center.

Edited by pctravel

emveepee

If you are happy with the m3u option and Emby EPG source that is a better solution.  There was a time the plugin would have integrated much better with Kodi/Emby/NextPVR but that functionality was removed.

Martin

The primary reason to use the plugin is to get guide data from NextPvr. If you don't need that, then it shouldn't matter which of the two approaches you use.

emveepee
On 12/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, Luke said:

The primary reason to use the plugin is to get guide data from NextPvr. If you don't need that, then it shouldn't matter which of the two approaches you use.

I know that IPTV and Silicon Dust are your prime user base but you are forgetting how few tuners you currently support.  To be fair the plugon would have to use the channel oid API and not the channel number API like the m3u file for this to make a big difference.

Martin

Edited by emveepee
  • Thanks 1

pctravel
1 hour ago, Luke said:

I'm using the Emby option for guide and looks like it merged it fine. I also have schedules direct but doesn't seem like that would be needed any more with the Emby guide. Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm able to continue using the Ceton tuner with my cable card, got lots of help to get it working but perfect for years now.

• Thanks 1