No backdrop movies on Android?

Painkiller8818
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Painkiller8818

Hi,

Today i got the Shield TV Pro and i found out, that android doesn't support backdrop movies.

Is there something i've missed in the settings or is there an update planned to support this?
I always liked this on the Samsung TV and the LG

thanks

GrimReaper

Sorry, not following, backdrop where? On Home Screen and while browsing library? If so, yes it does, Settings>General Display>Show Backdrop while browsing.

Painkiller8818
23 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Sorry, not following, backdrop where? On Home Screen and while browsing library? If so, yes it does, Settings>General Display>Show Backdrop while browsing.

ah sorry, i mean if i enter a TV-Show, i always have the "trailer" of the show running, but on android this seems not to work (you know a folder backdrops with a theme.mp4 or .mkv in it)

GrimReaper

Ah, nope, AndroidTV app doesn't support video backdrops - sideloaded standard Android app does, but AFAIR it had some issues as it would play in foreground, don't know whether that has been rectified, @Luke?

Painkiller8818

it is really a mess that emby on every platform offers different features.

I switched from Samsung to an LG, and now i use a Nvidia Shield and all of them have different features or don't have them...

GrimReaper

That depends on how one looks at it - it is heavily dependent on platform capabilities, and unifying all client apps/offering same set of features would mean finding lowest common denominator between all of them and crippling some apps at the expense of others instead of playing to platform strengths which IMHO should not be the case; personally, I'd like as much diversity between them as possible so everyone can find their own cup of tea - there's plethora of affordable streaming sticks/boxes/different platforms nowdays so one hardly has to remain locked to certain platform if it doesn't suit him. 🤷‍♂️  

Painkiller8818
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That depends on how one looks at it - it is heavily dependent on platform capabilities, and unifying all client apps/offering same set of features would mean finding lowest common denominator between all of them and crippling some apps at the expense of others instead of playing to platform strengths which IMHO should not be the case; personally, I'd like as much diversity between them as possible so everyone can find their own cup of tea - there's plethora of affordable streaming sticks/boxes/different platforms nowdays so one hardly has to remain locked to certain platform if it doesn't suit him. 🤷‍♂️  

yeah sure but an app should have the same options and someone could choose to turn a function on or off, but netflix eg is the same on web, andoid, lg, samsung etc, there is nothing like this could only be used on tizen or android

• Solution
1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

it is really a mess that emby on every platform offers different features

Hi.  That is one of the reasons we are working on unifying the Android apps.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

• Thanks 1

Painkiller8818
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is one of the reasons we are working on unifying the Android apps.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

sure i will try, thanks

Painkiller8818

yes this is the solution, this app works and looks like i know it from other platforms

thanks

• Thanks 1