Show Movie Posters and Episode Thumbnails in Smart Playlists

Mister D

Mister D

I have the smart playlist plugin and have several playlists created for movies and episodes. The Android app shows the thumbnails and the poster art when viewing these playlists, however, the Android TV app only shows a list of the titles with no images. Can the Android TV version be updated to include the corresponding images like the Android version?

Mister D
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and then you will get the same display.

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

I tried it but there are some layout differences that I don't like in the Android app so it's trading one thing for another. For example, on the home screen, if you want to see the plot synopsis of Up Next or Continue Watching items, you also have to deal with a synopsis for random movies showing up when you highlight the Movies or TV Show menu items. Also, the layout in the movies and TV Shows section lists the title and rating information differently than it does in the Android TV app. Also, in the Android app, when you click on a playlist item it just starts to play it. There is no option to open the item to view the plot or change audio or subtitles. So adding the thumbnails and posters to the playlists screen would be a better option for me personally.

Edited by Mister D

Mister D
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you mean by synopsis for random movies? Why is it random?

When you select the Movie or TV Shows item on Android TV using the Android app, it shows a synopsis for a random item when you have the layout option selected that shows the backdrop for the currently watching episode or TV show. I think this is because in the Android app it's touch screen so you don't hover over the main Movies or TV show menu items. However, on Android TV your cursor has to move through each individual item so you highlight the Movies and TV Shows items and it then shows a backdrop and synopsis for one of those items.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:31 PM, Mister D said:

When you select the Movie or TV Shows item on Android TV using the Android app, it shows a synopsis for a random item when you have the layout option selected that shows the backdrop for the currently watching episode or TV show. I think this is because in the Android app it's touch screen so you don't hover over the main Movies or TV show menu items. However, on Android TV your cursor has to move through each individual item so you highlight the Movies and TV Shows items and it then shows a backdrop and synopsis for one of those items.

@Mister D it only shows a random one until you have one selected. Like for example, when the focus is up in the top tabs, you don't have a specific movie selected.

Does that make sense?

Mister D
22 hours ago, Luke said:

@Mister D it only shows a random one until you have one selected. Like for example, when the focus is up in the top tabs, you don't have a specific movie selected.

Does that make sense?

Yup, correct. There is nothing selected so no metadata should be displayed. This works correctly in the Android TV version but I guess since the Android version is more used with touchscreens it doesn't expect you to land on these icons unless you use your fingers to select them, at which point it just opens that particular menu item.

42 minutes ago, Mister D said:

Yup, correct. There is nothing selected so no metadata should be displayed. This works correctly in the Android TV version but I guess since the Android version is more used with touchscreens it doesn't expect you to land on these icons unless you use your fingers to select them, at which point it just opens that particular menu item.

No, that's not true because the app fully supports TV devices. Simply press the down key on your remote to select something and then it won't be random anymore.

Mister D
2 hours ago, Luke said:

No, that's not true because the app fully supports TV devices. Simply press the down key on your remote to select something and then it won't be random anymore.

Yeah, I understand that part, but it shouldn't show a random item when you have the Movies or TV shows menu items selected. Either way, that's not my main concern as there are other things about the Android app layout that I don't like in comparison to the Android TV app so I would prefer if the episode thumbnails and movie or TV show poster art displayed within the playlists.

but it shouldn't show a random item when you have the Movies or TV shows menu items selected. 

Why not? It's better than a blank background, right?

Either way, that's not my main concern as there are other things about the Android app layout that I don't like in comparison to the Android TV app

Can you please provide specific examples? Thanks.

Mister D
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Why not? It's better than a blank background, right?

Can you please provide specific examples? Thanks.

I actually prefer the blank background of the Android TV app, especially with the black theme and the icons I use.

image.thumb.png.248f81ab75598af87bc663952879e8d2.png

This screenshot is actually from the Windows version my server is running but you can see how these icons would look good on a black background.

From my previous post:

The layout in the movies and TV Shows section lists the title and rating information differently than it does in the Android TV app where it is under each movie instead of at the top left of the section. Also, in the Android app, when you click on a playlist item it just starts to play it. There is no option to open the item to view the plot or change audio or subtitles. So adding the thumbnails and posters to the playlists screen would be a better option for me personally.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Mister D

@Luke

Hey, you've recommended that before and I did that and reported my issues with the layout of the Android app in this thread. I really would prefer if the functionality was added to the Android TV app as I prefer nearly everything else about that version besides the lack of thumbnails in smart playlists for episodes, TV shows and movies.

23 hours ago, Mister D said:

@Luke

Hey, you've recommended that before and I did that and reported my issues with the layout of the Android app in this thread. I really would prefer if the functionality was added to the Android TV app as I prefer nearly everything else about that version besides the lack of thumbnails in smart playlists for episodes, TV shows and movies.

What exactly do you prefer about it?

Mister D
11 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly do you prefer about it?

I prefer having the thumbnails in the Android TV version since that is the version I prefer to use. I tried the Android version and there are things I don't really like about it. For example, the layout in the movies and TV Shows section lists the title and rating information differently than it does in the Android TV app. Also, in the Android app, when you click on a playlist item it just starts to play it, there is no option to open the item to view the plot or change audio or subtitles. So having the episode and poster thumbnails in the Android TV version would be the best solution for me since it retains the functionality I prefer while taking a feature I would like to have from the Android version without me having to deal with the stuff I don't like about that version of the app.

GrimReaper
On 2/18/2023 at 2:00 PM, Mister D said:

@Luke

It doesn't matter how the playlist was created, via SmartPlaylists plugin or manually adding video items, for Emby it is just a playlist and what you're seeing is the default presentation in the AndroidTV client app - thumbless/posterless. Considering same app is (unfortunately) bound to be replaced by standard Android app in some foreseeable future, I wouldn't get my hopes too high up that it'd ever be implemented in its remaining lifetime. 

Mister D
On 2/20/2023 at 1:12 PM, GrimReaper said:

It doesn't matter how the playlist was created, via SmartPlaylists plugin or manually adding video items, for Emby it is just a playlist and what you're seeing is the default presentation in the AndroidTV client app - thumbless/posterless. Considering same app is (unfortunately) bound to be replaced by standard Android app in some foreseeable future, I wouldn't get my hopes too high up that it'd ever be implemented in its remaining lifetime. 

If the Android app will be replacing the Android TV app, I hope some of the layout and functionality of the Android TV app is retained as there are some things with the Android app that I am not a fan of.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Mister D said:

If the Android app will be replacing the Android TV app, I hope some of the layout and functionality of the Android TV app is retained as there are some things with the Android app that I am not a fan of.

You can join the existing discussion and express your views here:

rbjtech

I don't think that list has been updated in a long while ..

I update and test the Android version every 6 months or so in the hope it comes some way to resembling the AndroidTV version - unfortunately, my personal view is for it's targeted audience (primary TV client) it is still way off in terms of performance, aesthetics and overall usability. 

3 hours ago, Mister D said:

Hi, such as? They have the same layout now. 

Mister D
20 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, such as? They have the same layout now. 

Wow, when was this? Last time I tried a few months ago there were layout issues with the home page not matching the Android TV version and playlist items playing when you clicked on them instead of giving you the option to open the item. I will give that version a shot now.

Edit:

Just gave it a shot and it keeps crashing on my Chromecast with Google TV. Also, the it takes way longer to startup compared to the Android TV version. Some of the layout issues I'm immediately seeing are:

* Fanart is fullscreen compared to only being on the right side of the screen on movies and TV shows on the home screen.

* There is no plot synopsis when you select an item on the home screen.

* The clock is way smaller than in the Android TV version.

* Within the movies and TV shows section the title, rating, etc. are under each item instead of being in the upper left of the screen.

* Playlist items still immediately play instead of showing the detail screen where you can select audio and subtitles.

* The info screen has a grey background when you pull up the plot synopsis.

* There is no quick way to pull up stats for nerds.

The clearlogos on the info screen when watching a movie or TV show are way smaller than on the Android TV version.

These are just a few of the things I noticed that are minor annoyances to dealbreakers for me in the 15 minutes I messed around with the Android version.

@Luke

Edited by Mister D

• 8 months later...
Saitama1979

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I got here with the same playlist issue on my Nvidia Shield Pro (2015 model).

I sideloaded the android apk as suggested and was happy with the results. However, the app keeps rebooting my shield.

I played two different media and both times, within about 5 to 10 mins, it rebooted by Shield. Did it 3 times in a row. So switched back to the regular TV app.

Any ideas?

12 hours ago, Saitama1979 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I got here with the same playlist issue on my Nvidia Shield Pro (2015 model).

I sideloaded the android apk as suggested and was happy with the results. However, the app keeps rebooting my shield.

I played two different media and both times, within about 5 to 10 mins, it rebooted by Shield. Did it 3 times in a row. So switched back to the regular TV app.

Any ideas?

HI, what version number did you try?