Screen gets very dark

Jeanette158

Jeanette158

I have two Tivo Stream 4k devices. I have noticed that with emby every so often you can be watching a show and all of the sudden they get very dark.  You  can still see the show, in order to fix the issue I have to pause the show and then hit play again.  Anyone experienced this and knows how to fix the problem?  I have not tried a Roku to see if it does the same thing.

Thanks

Eigeplackter

I had this issue with WEBGUI some days ago. It was the synology being working overtime with different tasks (Cleanup. Virus Scan and something else.)

When I stopped some tasks so the load on the Synology went down it was fixed, but not sure as you don't mention where server is hosted in your case.

Jeanette158

I am using an overpowered server, Intel Xeon Silver and over 100 gig memory, OS TrueNas Scale. I do not think load is the issue.  Any other suggestions? 

Edited by Jeanette158
  • Haha 1

Q-Droid

It happens to me now and then on the Shield TV. Like screen saver kicking in while playing. Not frequent enough that the workaround is a burden. 

Jeanette158

Thanks for the response; weirdly enough, it has not happened lately, but I will record a short video next time it does.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
mchahn

I bought a Chromecast with Google TV to replace my TIVO.  I installed emby for android.  This dark problem happened and I thought it was the chromecast HW (I know, stupid of me).  I replaced it with a new one and the same thing happens, about once a night.  Going out of emby and back in fixes it.  What can I do to help fix this?

EDIT: This didn't happen with TIVO.

Edited by mchahn

11 hours ago, mchahn said:

I bought a Chromecast with Google TV to replace my TIVO.  I installed emby for android.  This dark problem happened and I thought it was the chromecast HW (I know, stupid of me).  I replaced it with a new one and the same thing happens, about once a night.  Going out of emby and back in fixes it.  What can I do to help fix this?

EDIT: This didn't happen with TIVO.

Hi.  If you pause and unpause, does it fix it?

mchahn

Of course now that I'm waiting for it to happen it hasn't happened for the last four days.  If/when it happens again I'll be careful to test what fixes it and even take a picture.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
mchahn

It took three months but it happened again.  I have noticed that the dark effect is what chromecast/android tv uses for screen saving.  In other words after no activity for a while the screen dims.  So this problem is a false triggering of the screen saver.  The screen stays dark until you exit emby and go back in.

Two reasons to not worry about this: 

1) Having to exit/enter emby every three months is not exactly a PITA 🙂

2) It may be a chromecast problem.  We don't spend much time in other apps so it could have nothing to do with emby.