Network speed of QNAP NAS decreased by 90% if EmbyServer is running

Tormentor667

Tormentor667

Dear developers,

I have encountered a critical issue with my EmbyServer (4.8.0.21) running on my QNAP (TS-831X). 

If EmbyServer is running for a while, my network speed when reading and writing on my shared host on my NAS slows down from 100MB/s to 9MB/s. The only solution is restarting/shutting down EmbyServer on my QNAP.

After restarting, I have full speed again for a while.

What could be the issue here?

• 2 weeks later...
Tormentor667

Sure thing, there you go. I took the log while copying data to the NAS (10MB/s). After the log, I restarted the Emby Server from my QNAP Admin Interface and copied something else, and it was speedy as hell again (90MB/s).

embyserver.txt

Two suggestions - disable the automatic port mapper in server network settings, and configure port forwarding in your router manually for remote access (if needed).

Then remove the statistics plugin. Do both of those things, then restart emby server and see how that compares. Thanks.

Tormentor667

Did both, seems that it fixed the problems. Thanks kindly for the solution, but what was causing it now? The statistics plugin or the router thing?

2 hours ago, Tormentor667 said:

Did both, seems that it fixed the problems. Thanks kindly for the solution, but what was causing it now? The statistics plugin or the router thing?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure. You could try reenabling them one at a time to determine that. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Tormentor667

Okay, back to the issue: I noticed that the bug still persists even without Statistics Plugin and the Router Settings. The change didn't help anything, it started again after a while with 10MB/s and I had to restart Emby Server to get back to 100MB/s copying files over.

9 hours ago, Tormentor667 said:

Okay, back to the issue: I noticed that the bug still persists even without Statistics Plugin and the Router Settings. The change didn't help anything, it started again after a while with 10MB/s and I had to restart Emby Server to get back to 100MB/s copying files over.

Please attach the emby server log from when that happened. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
tux1980

HI. Any news here? I have exactly the same problem with my TS-431 QNAP. Using EMBY 4.7.11.0 - but also 4.6 in the past I'm experiencing that too. After couple of days the networking throughput slows down to 1-3 Mbit (observing that with iperf). Then, I can access the qnap still via ssh (but not via the WEb UI) to stop the Emyb Service. After stopping Emby the orignal network speed tops up to 100 MB/a again.

Edited by tux1980

tux1980

I also observed that this problem exists since 2018 with all emby versions. A final solution would be great. I'm using the actual emby version and the actual qnap firmware version too.

1 hour ago, tux1980 said:

HI. Any news here? I have exactly the same problem with my TS-431 QNAP. Using EMBY 4.7.11.0 - but also 4.6 in the past I'm experiencing that too. After couple of days the networking throughput slows down to 1-3 Mbit (observing that with iperf). Then, I can access the qnap still via ssh (but not via the WEb UI) to stop the Emyb Service. After stopping Emby the orignal network speed tops up to 100 MB/a again.

Hi, Please attach the emby server log from when that happened. Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Tormentor667 said:

For me it works actually, didn't have the issue anymore.

What was the solution?

Tormentor667

Good question. I actually have no idea anymore… I was fiddling around with numerous things at this point. 

tux1980

Hi Guys. Thanks for your answers. I won't upload the log since all my folders and files are clearly shown there and that I won't to due to privacy. 

But asking for the log file is the standard answer for years and some people uploaded the logs and nevertheless, this issue has not been solved in 5 years (since 2018). 

What I'm doing, I restarting the Emby Service on my qnap NAS via the scheduler every second day at 7:30 am. So that is only a lazy bridge solution but at least it is working since the slowdown is only starting after 3-4 days.

@Tormentor667Maybe you will memorize the solution you did find to solve this issue. If so I'm happy about the feedback:).

Thanks

Tux1980

Tormentor667

Okay back here - I just tried it and I still suffer the same problem. It's happening from time to time but I didn't notice it anymore because I am restarting my QNAP every day around 8AM and shutting it down around 2AM. But if the slowdown occurs, I need to restart Emby Server and it works again.

Please attach the Emby server log from when the problem was experienced. Thanks.

Tormentor667

Well, the problem is that it's hard to keep track when the issues is appearing or starting to appear.

When I restart my Emby Server on my QNAP everything works fine with the usual speed. I have no idea when things start to get worse, I would have to copy 24/7 a big file to my server just to find out when this is going to begin to happen - this doesn't seem like a good way to track things tbh. Any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, Tormentor667 said:

How would I do that? I mean, what do you need to bugtrack that?

Just locate the original log file, zip it up and attach it here:

Does that help?

Tormentor667

I know how this works but I wonder from when should I attach the LOG? Just the latest one? Because I can't really tell when the problem is starting to happen. I can only say that the speed is perfect when I restart the Emby server on my QNAP - at least for a specific time window.

25 minutes ago, Tormentor667 said:

I know how this works but I wonder from when should I attach the LOG? Just the latest one? Because I can't really tell when the problem is starting to happen. I can only say that the speed is perfect when I restart the Emby server on my QNAP - at least for a specific time window.

As soon as you experience the problem again, then I would suggest grabbing the latest log file at that time.