Show Movie Version eg. Remastered even when singular

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

image.png.fff614ea15a713d2c4640f358c9f76d1.png

is there some css that would show the version even if the only version

Captain America, The First Avenger (2011) - Remastered.mkv

image.png.ae400595917ccb1e3bae48c9bb3f48e1.png

If a movie is the remastered version or a specific cut it would be helpful to know it, even when the only version.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

CSS no

Sort of can already be done via "Embedded track title display" but comes back to labeling the media.

Generate friendly

image.png.9e527f85bac0888e00f901074d8b7c06.png

image.png.68c7966539c5b5cb3ee300c6ee8c5cf2.png

Prefer embedded but requires the titles on tracks.

image.png.2b647a0b065b0f2be5a842833d58df1e.png

image.png.a567de8cc236d49d28b3b631501ca91d.png

But Versions as a permanent metadata option is not a bad idea.

I think this would likely confuse a lot of people with very unexpected things showing up there just based on how the file is named.  Happy's solution of providing an embedded title is probably your best bet.

ginjaninja

Thanks..i see a script coming on to to set the embdedded title based on the Emby naming scheme i use in my filenames across all movies. Its a hard pill to swallow that im naming things correctly but my suggestion falls foul that some people are not, but i understand :-).

ginjaninja
On 28/12/2022 at 20:29, Happy2Play said:

CSS no

Sort of can already be done via "Embedded track title display" but comes back to labeling the media.

Generate friendly

image.png.9e527f85bac0888e00f901074d8b7c06.png

image.png.68c7966539c5b5cb3ee300c6ee8c5cf2.png

Prefer embedded but requires the titles on tracks.

image.png.2b647a0b065b0f2be5a842833d58df1e.png

image.png.a567de8cc236d49d28b3b631501ca91d.png

But Versions as a permanent metadata option is not a bad idea.

Ive created a test library,

i set

image.png.161459e9e7b70a3fd9c854948911f5ec.png

i set an embded title here and here

image.png.17b96aa14f9763ff108d0bb3c737d97d.png

rescanned and refreshed metadata and was expecting to see the title here

image.png.546de9d908e70feff566c5d3e073decf.png

but i only saw it here

image.png.f4381a9069e39b96067ad25bc31a641d.png

any ideas what i might be doing wrong please?

Happy2Play

@ginjaninja Made that mistake before as the note says.

This determines the default display title when no internet metadata or local metadata is available.

You need to go to Settings-Library, Advanced tab-Embedded track title display.

ginjaninja
27 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@ginjaninja Made that mistake before as the note says.

This determines the default display title when no internet metadata or local metadata is available.

You need to go to Settings-Library, Advanced tab-Embedded track title display.

thanks this seems to be working...

at one point the title and sort title got set to "remastered" but i was playing with the settings and that seems to have settled*. 

im now getting the tmdb data, proper title and sort title and  video shows the embeded title, so i think i am good.

image.thumb.png.6ca9fd40da3c4821e30ed6360edf3352.png

* is this why you said

requires the titles on tracks.

It does not seem you need the movies title embeded and you can get away with just the version embedded

image.png.f61ef419039f46e4d4287d0269fee98b.png

will do some more testing

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

@Happy2Play

So when my script edits the videos track name to "$version $size"

the title and sort title of the emby object also get set to "$version $size" (as well as the track title). (library is set to detect changes automatically)

image.thumb.png.cd2f37d63c6f998eb3300666fc8d3fac.png

but if i refresh the metadata the Emby sort title and title resolve themselves

image.png.fee200c564cb79088e2749cee8060509.png

Do you think this behaviour is fixable by configuration?  Worst case the script can call a refresh of object.

rbjtech

Just to add that the MediaInfo plugin creates the MKV track titles for you based on a set of options - For example it adds 'Remux' if over a certain bitrate for its resolution.  It doesn't currently scan the filename but could do - but to be 100% universal and accurate, it would need to have some sort of known delimiter in the filename to determine this was a 'version' of the file - as many people use the '-' to add all sorts of info to the filename.

@Cheesegeezer

As an example - the Video (and Audio..) track titles below are auto generated with a combination of MediaInfo and other metadata.  Version 'might' be an option if we can find a solid way to gather that info.

image.png.c4472723e14194f9d620fc28b89ab5e0.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer
18 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Just to add that the MediaInfo plugin creates the MKV track titles for you based on a set of options - For example it adds 'Remux' if over a certain bitrate for its resolution.  It doesn't currently scan the filename but could do - but to be 100% universal and accurate, it would need to have some sort of known delimiter in the filename to determine this was a 'version' of the file - as many people use the '-' to add all sorts of info to the filename.

@Cheesegeezer

As an example - the Video (and Audio..) track titles below are auto generated with a combination of MediaInfo and other metadata.  Version 'might' be an option if we can find a solid way to gather that info.

image.png.c4472723e14194f9d620fc28b89ab5e0.png

Personally i feel that this should be a metadata field and not put in the video Title. it should be stored in the DB and also have an option to display the editorial cuts in the UI, and written to the Nfo also if user has it enabled.

I.E.  <editorialcut>Extended</editorialcut>

• Agree 1

ginjaninja

@Cheesegeezer @rbjtech

thanks for turning me on to your plugin.

Given your experience with embedded track names....have you got experience with the issue i raised a post or two back about the emby objects title being switched to the embedded track name prior to a further refresh?

Cheesegeezer
9 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

@Cheesegeezer @rbjtech

Nae bother.

9 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

Given your experience with embedded track names....have you got experience with the issue i raised a post or two back about the emby objects title being switched to the embedded track name prior to a further refresh?

So I set the "Use Embedded Track Title" to true when the plugin runs, because the user has chosen to use the plugin.

Never had any issues, just need to run a library scan (or it might be metadata scan now - still not sure which)

But certainly helps.  

@rbjtech Rich, do you think this is this something i should look at.  What would need to be added to the plugin would be a naming convention that we can identify from the filename and give the user the option to display it at the end

1. Remastered
  2. Extended
  3. Directors
  4. iMAX
  5. Theatrical
  6. running out of options now haha

i'm just concerned about the screen real estate becoming a problem and shifting audio and subs to the next line, etc.

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

i'm just concerned about the screen real estate becoming a problem and shifting audio and subs to the next line, etc.

Agreed - thought about that issue too.

I'm just gonna look in the MKV metadata - perhaps there is a field in there we can use rather than the filename which is messy and open to errors...

brb

rbjtech
47 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

@Cheesegeezer @rbjtech

As per Cheeses' experience - I've never needed to force a refresh - it does it on it's own.  But do clear the the browser cache , as sometimes that doesn't refresh properly for some reason and keeps the old value.

23 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Agreed - thought about that issue too.

I'm just gonna look in the MKV metadata - perhaps there is a field in there we can use rather than the filename which is messy and open to errors...

brb

Hmm - nothing 'obvious' in the possible MKV fields which I was not expecting - there are 100's of fields down to the nth degree - but nothing to show what 'version' it is - very odd.   There are fields there that could be used - but unless they are easily accessible in mkvtoolnix tools - then it's a non-starter. 

Analysing the filename may be the only option then - I believe this is stored in the db, so should be easy enough to get the info.

Worth adding I think - because I've often wanted to add this info too - but the only way I've found to confirm the 'version' is in the run length.

edit - yay - 5000 posts - holy cr*p ... 🤔

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

ginjaninja

i think i found my issue

the setting i wanted was ONLY this in the global settings

image.png.63421d3338a26eb0ada8d7ab83c2b285.png

and i should not have ticked this is the library settings

image.png.1cd650886de7bf90586d379543609a78.png

Cheesegeezer
Just now, ginjaninja said:

i think i found my issue

the setting i wanted was ONLY this in the global settings

image.png.63421d3338a26eb0ada8d7ab83c2b285.png

and i should not have ticked this is the library settings

image.png.1cd650886de7bf90586d379543609a78.png

Ah yes that would do it.

I couldn't remember what the correct term was, i should have showed you or pointed you to the media Toolkit wiki page.  which may of helped you.

specifically this item

https://github.com/Cheesegeezer/MediaInfoWiki/wiki#9-getting-the-titles-to-display-in-emby-ui-clients

my apologies Ginj!!

rbjtech

Just a few more if we are able to do this in the MediaInfo plugin

• Standard (or no 'version')
  • Unrated
  • Uncut
  • Remastered
  • Limited
  • Special
  • Directors
  • The Final Cut
  • iMAX
  • Theatrical
  • Extended

Maybe better to just have an editable CSV list in the plugin and it just writes it to the Emby.MediaInfo.XML config file .. ;)

ginjaninja
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Maybe better to just have an editable CSV list in the plugin and it just writes it to the Emby.MediaInfo.XML config file .. ;)

I think its the case that the versions are not a finite set...it seems anything goes

Mad Max, Fury Road (2015) - Black 'n' Chrome Edition.mkv

would tags be a place to store custom data?

https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html#mkvmerge.tags

• Haha 2

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

would tags be a place to store custom data?

https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html#mkvmerge.tags

Possibly - but then you still have the same issue to identify if that 'tag' is a version - or something completely different.

That's why I was thinking about using delimiters - ie #Extended# in the filename - then we 'know' its a version and you simply take what's inside the # and use that - no more logic needed.

The Arrs could also just tag this via the Edition Tags - ie #IMAX# in this case.

image.png.5bb4bfa8fde8db301bb876e327685f9c.png

Edited by rbjtech

Cheesegeezer

Yeah this can grow arm and legs, which is why i think that Emby core needs to incorporate this properly as a seperate UI entity.

hmm 🤔 i wonder tho if the video title component accepts wordwrap and could then display the edition under the video info??

that might work