Regional prices ever coming? Emby Premiere license in Argentina

Xhatry

Hey! I just noticed that the price of the Emby Premiere license is not depending on the region you're buying the license.

I wanted to highlight that for us Argentinians, the lifetime license at 120USD is super expensive. Check out the case of Plex, which has their lifetime license at just 23,72USD converted using the Blue USD Parallel dollar, which is the real conversion to use (You can check the conversion rate by searching "Dolar blue" or take a look at this link of an Argentinian newspaper with the updated rate https://www.lanacion.com.ar/tema/dolar-blue-tid67294/). Right now the conversion rate is 1USD=356ARS. I know that Plex is a different software but I think it's still Emby competition.

It just doesn't make sense to buy an Emby Premiere license if it's that expensive. Our salaries can't have the luxury of paying that amount of money. There are a lot of other software services with regional prices here like Netflix, Spotify, Steam, among many others. You can google the prices of those services in our country and you can see what I'm talking about.

I wanted to start a dialogue about the possibility to start having regional prices and convince lots of Argentinian (and other places too, why not) to pay for your services instead of just don't even consider it. I really like your product but it's not affordable at this price.

Thank you!

PS: I'm sorry if my English is not so good. I hope I don't offend anyone or be rude in any way.1885116527_PlexpricesinArgentina.thumb.png.03ac7e3e5651a39e568f55a8b7e3191d.png

This is a fantastic idea that I haven't ever considered. I don't know what the pay rate is in Argintina but I do know it's about $8 to $10 a DAY in Mexico which translates into 12 to 15 days of work if ALL the income went towards buying Emby. By comparison to the United States where the cost equates to a day or two of work. This does not seem at all fair or equitable.

BTW, your English is better than that of a LOT of people in the United States.

Hi.  We understand and empathize with your situation but, as a small company, we cannot absorb the costs of these conversions at this time.  Perhaps in the future.  The flip side of the equation is that we would be selling a Lifetime of service and support for very little in USD.

• Like 1

@ebr

I don't know what it costs to do ip geo location for servers and VPN prevention on foreign servers but maybe the revenue from increased sales abroad could help defray these costs resulting in increased net revenue?

• 1 month later...
HawkXP71

It doesn't seem fair or equitable to have the same exact product available a lot cheaper depending on what country you live on.

You are getting the same tool, it took the same effort to create it.  Why shouldnt I be able to pay 30USD vs the 100?  

If the discount exists, whats to stop me from buying a VPN in Turkey, or Argentina to purchase the license as if I live there.

From what I understand, PLEX requires you to contact their server to run any of the plex pass features (it allows for some downtime) so anytime it makes this connection, you have to have the VPN up,  thats no big deal,. but its a major pain to require a network connection outside to run the server.  

I would really hope they DO NOT go down this path.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, HawkXP71 said:

It doesn't seem fair or equitable to have the same exact product available a lot cheaper depending on what country you live on.

You are getting the same tool, it took the same effort to create it.  Why shouldnt I be able to pay 30USD vs the 100?  

If the discount exists, whats to stop me from buying a VPN in Turkey, or Argentina to purchase the license as if I live there.

From what I understand, PLEX requires you to contact their server to run any of the plex pass features (it allows for some downtime) so anytime it makes this connection, you have to have the VPN up,  thats no big deal,. but its a major pain to require a network connection outside to run the server.  

I would really hope they DO NOT go down this path.

what?...

1) you don't need a vpn in turkey, you need a local credit card...
vpn won't help you

+ the cost of vpn will just be equal to the difference in the price of the plex)))

2) The regional price is not fair, since the product is the same?
ok...

what about wages?
Doesn't it bother you that people in poorer countries get paid MUCH LESS than you do for the same job?
isn't it the same? ))))

what will you choose to raise the price for you in proportion to earnings?
how about emby for 500-600-800$ )
why not? 
well, or as an option to reduce your salary to the level of Turkey-Brazil?
also no? )))

regional prices are an inevitable reality of the economy, you make regional prices or you do not make a profit AT ALL
all international platforms, steam. spotify, adobe, microsoft, etc. make regional prices, without regional prices the consumer will use piracy or buy nothing, or buy a competitor's product with a regional price

it's hard to sell a game for 60 euros in a country where the salary is 200 euros
don't you think so?
that's why steam in poor countries sells the game not for 60 euros,
but sells for 15 euros 

You can hope they do NOT go down that path. May be
but... I look at the price of plex, which is 3 times lower and I doubt more and more that I will buy emby
Yes, emby is a good product, but the price...((

for the same reason I don't buy games for 60-70 $
you can consider it not fair, it is your right.
but the reality is that if there is no regional price, I will NOT buy, even if there is no crack, the manufacturer will still NOT receive money from me, simply because I cannot buy games for 60-70$ because it is too expensive. better to get 10-20$ than not to get anything...

Edited by Flest

HawkXP71
15 hours ago, Flest said:

what?...

1) you don't need a vpn in turkey, you need a local credit card...
vpn won't help you

+ the cost of vpn will just be equal to the difference in the price of the plex)))

2) The regional price is not fair, since the product is the same?
ok...

what about wages?
Doesn't it bother you that people in poorer countries get paid MUCH LESS than you do for the same job?
isn't it the same? ))))

what will you choose to raise the price for you in proportion to earnings?
how about emby for 500-600-800$ )
why not? 
well, or as an option to reduce your salary to the level of Turkey-Brazil?
also no? )))

regional prices are an inevitable reality of the economy, you make regional prices or you do not make a profit AT ALL
all international platforms, steam. spotify, adobe, microsoft, etc. make regional prices, without regional prices the consumer will use piracy or buy nothing, or buy a competitor's product with a regional price

it's hard to sell a game for 60 euros in a country where the salary is 200 euros
don't you think so?
that's why steam in poor countries sells the game not for 60 euros,
but sells for 15 euros 

You can hope they do NOT go down that path. May be
but... I look at the price of plex, which is 3 times lower and I doubt more and more that I will buy emby
Yes, emby is a good product, but the price...((

for the same reason I don't buy games for 60-70 $
you can consider it not fair, it is your right.
but the reality is that if there is no regional price, I will NOT buy, even if there is no crack, the manufacturer will still NOT receive money from me, simply because I cannot buy games for 60-70$ because it is too expensive. better to get 10-20$ than not to get anything...

The VPN would enable those of us in higher cost of living locations to VPN into a cheaper location, to then buy the Emby license.  We would then need to use the VPN anytime we used emby so it coudl validate our location

2) Nope. doesnt bother me at all.  I actually am amazed at the level of functionality and its quality that I get for 100 USD.  I would pay 500 to 1000 for it.   But emby and their competition are going for number of licenses rather than the price of a license.

And if I wanted to live in Turkey or Brazil, I would expect to get paid much less.   Guess what, I would love to hire people in the US from Turkey and Brazil.  Smart people, with a great work ethic.  Get a visa and apply for jobs here!

Regional discount prices are NOT inevitable.  How much does a DS923+ cost in turkey? I couldnt find one forsale in turkey, but I did find one forsale in Kosovo it was € 775, guess what, thats 40% more expensive than here.  

Sure, it has to be imported to the country, as Synology doesnt directly sell it to the location I found (https://www.kosovo.ubuy.com/en/product/5C4IR3HKW-synology-5-bay-diskstation-ds1522-diskless) but they are adding on a significant surcharge.  Emby isnt.

Emby is saying, its worth 119 USD for a LIFETIME of usage of premier value.  Ive already owned it for 2 or 3 years, so 40-60 dollars a year.  Im already ahead of the yearly price.

Also, your DONT NEED to run premier you can limit yourself to the open source level functionality, then you can build it yourself.

Rather than complaining, I would propose a better solution.  Ask if you can trade code/functionality for discounts. 

Maybe you develop a plugin for a 10USD discount? This way you are EARNING the data software.

Comparing this to steam is a red herring.  Steam (Valve) doesn't make the games, they distribute them. 

However, how much is a steam deck in Turkey?  Its full USD pricing + a 15% surcharge in Euros where sold in the EU.  But its not sold in Turkey. Why? Because Valve doesnt make software, and does make hardware.  They DO NOT RESPECT their software partners.  

Do you get discounts on PS5 or Xbox games in Turkey or Brazil? No.  Because those distribution platforms value their software development partners, and Valve doesnt.

So yes