Anyone used a Simple.TV tuner?

ericsmith504

ericsmith504

Didn't see anything in the forums previously, but I believe the Simple.TV tuners were SiliconDust "powered" and are ATSC network tuners similar to the HDHomeRuns. Anyone actually use one successfully w/ Emby? Seeing as how I can pick them up for around $15, hard to pass up if they might work. If no one has an answer I'll pick one up to test anyway, but here's to hoping. Thanks!

Hi, so they're essentially embedding an HDHR into their device? Are they partnering with them? It sounds like it would just work.

ericsmith504

Don't know. Their 2nd gen stuff was "powered by SiliconDust" and:

the new Simple.TV hardware will be powered by Zenverge's ZN200 chipset and the TransAll transcoding engine. The new tuner also includes support for international broadcast standards, including DBV-T2, DVB-C, DVB-S2, and ISDB-T, with international distribution coming in early 2014.

Unfortunately, they went out of business and I have not much other info other than their biz plan was apparently around selling guide (ala TiVo) and that didn't work. But super abundant and cheap clearance available now that their 8 or so years old.

Silicondust even hosted marketing material for them (retrieve from archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20131107182049/http://www.silicondust.com/images/hdhomerun/stv_sellsheet_2013USA.pdf) and there's some indication that it was a HDHomerun in other clothes, but...

Edited by ericsmith504
More info found, yay internet

ericsmith504

I might just bite the bullet anyway. Turns out when simple.tv bit the dust that SD offered a "conversion" for the gen 2 hardware to HDHR Extend. Very intriguing. BUT, if any fair users have already been down this path, any knowledge able to be shared before I blow an evening's bourbon budget, let me know. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
On 12/26/2022 at 7:28 PM, ericsmith504 said:

I might just bite the bullet anyway. Turns out when simple.tv bit the dust that SD offered a "conversion" for the gen 2 hardware to HDHR Extend. Very intriguing. BUT, if any fair users have already been down this path, any knowledge able to be shared before I blow an evening's bourbon budget, let me know. Thanks!

Sounds like a cheap way to get an Extend maybe, good luck :)