v1.0.37 - Missing themes

unisoft

unisoft

So I wait circa 9 months for an update, and then it does it today.

No Media Center Blue theme, just a choice of two themes?

If this is a mistake, how long to fix this? We've always used the Media Center Blue theme on all the apps except Apple TV.

We don't mind a rename to "Blue" or something similar but don't want the theme/colour to be removed.

Hi, theme development was re-worked in a way to make development easier but with the trade-off of them only being supported on slightly newer devices. We'll look at how feasible it would be to make them compatible with older devices again.

unisoft
On 27/12/2022 at 19:34, Luke said:

Hi, theme development was re-worked in a way to make development easier but with the trade-off of them only being supported on slightly newer devices. We'll look at how feasible it would be to make them compatible with older devices again.

Its just a colour? So if you can display dark theme as grey or black, you can do the original Windows Media Center Blue? It's just a colour in code for a background not even an image.

Not bothered if you want to rename to remove the Windows Media Center naming on it.

My OLED is a 2016 model with WebOS 3.x  but it is more than capable of showing the colour.

Edited by unisoft

Happy2Play

The issues of aging hardware.  If everything freezes in time it works forever.

My last iphone was that way as all apps eventually stopped working as all version continued to keep updating beyond the capabilities of the OS.  I see Emby being no different as we see it in minor things like Themes now showing the dated platform.

CrappyUserName
6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

My last iphone was that way as all apps eventually stopped working as all version continued to keep updating beyond the capabilities of the OS.  I see Emby being no different as we see it in minor things like Themes now showing the dated platform.

That's why updates should come with change logs so users can make a decision on whether any bug fixes or new features are worth losing things that have been removed.

I won't be updating my app anymore. Not worth the risk and it's working well enough for my needs. I'll just put up with the glaring white everywhere.....

• Agree 1

unisoft
13 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

If this was directed at me, it makes no sense at all. My TV has been displaying the BLUE colour since I had Emby which is a few years now. I've never had a problem with themes/colours or performance even when on old Orsay Samsung TVs. My 2016 model is more than capable. Even brand spanking new models of TV will have these "themes" (really just a colour) dropped because it's been removed for all.

When it comes to user impacting changes:

1. It's expected the vendor releases information in advance of the release which the Emby team repeatedly fail and many people have commented before about this

2. User impacting changes are usually kept for major versions not minor versions where people are expecting bug fixes for other things!

3,. Colours/Themes of a UI are NOT minor. The whole thing in Dark/Black is awful. Dark and bright whites. If it was so minor, why did Microsoft get a backlash from customers over Windows 8.1 for example. That is a typical "we know best" attitude. Anyone would think there was custom artwork like icons, backdrops, transparent windows, when all it is is a colour. Like declaring a colour for background in HTML.

Most of the people complaining about generic performance on here (and not related to any one specific issue or a bug) are because they have some old sh** TV from before 2013, a cheap under powered server,  a misconfigured server, cheap network cables and misconfigured managed hubs (or just cheap unmanaged ones that are poor) or they simply too lazy to embed meta data into their media and rely on just in time information from online when using the Emby App(s) and in some cases just poor media files with gigantic bit rates when most TVs only have a 10/100 ethernet port by default. Some will often have slow internet because of other people in a residence potentially using it.

Edited by unisoft