Metadata surviving deletion/reboot?

Meijinhada
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Meijinhada

I'm banging my head on a wall here, but....

I've updated some metadata for a folder of "Christmas" music to be Various Artists for the Album Artist tag in several albums.  Emby refuses to recognize these changes, even as I've:

Completed deleted the folder off my drive and re-added it

Deleted the metadata folder out of Emby

Gone into my Synology Emby folder and deleted anything I could find there related to said albums

Emptied recycle bins

Renamed the folder entirely

This is actually getting to be ridiculous at this point.  The library clearly scans properly, as it does notice when I've put the music files back on my drive. But the metadata is still the same as it was before, even though the file it's scanned is literally saying something different at this point.  It's like there's a ghost metadata folder somewhere I'm completely missing and I'm starting to lose my mind.   Where else can I look to clear this so it will actually read the correct, current metadata out of the files?

Emby refuses to recognize these changes, even as I've:

Hi there, why exactly do you think Emby is refusing to recognize the changes? How exactly are you determining this?

Meijinhada
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, why exactly do you think Emby is refusing to recognize the changes? How exactly are you determining this?

I can see, if I go into Edit Metadata, that the Album Artist is still listed as the old one, before I changed it in the file.  But I've deleted the old files with the old data, and Emby is reading from the new copies of the files with the updated metadata, and it's still telling me the wrong Album Artist.   That's why I'm wondering if I'm missing possible ghost data somewhere in Emby's system.

image.png.68ef61b13f1a313716d4677d672f4e41.png

image.png.8fc3c4a3e821687441418b30bb186696.png

• Solution

What did you use to edit the embedded info with? There are multiple versions of id3 tags and it's possible your tag editing software is updating one and leaving the others unchanged within the file. That's very common actually.

Meijinhada

I use MP3Tag to make sure I see them all, and I cleaned up any extra tags so it's only ID3 and FLAC.  Mostly because I did used to run into this, so I learned my lesson a while ago.  But even the FLAC files are giving me the wrong tag in Emby.

image.png.ed39962b34214e2798c6590c8bdf6412.png

Meijinhada
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

@Meijinhada But in the end it is about what ffprobe sees embedded on the track.

ffprobe -i "file path"

It's still literally looking at a file with updated data. 

1 hour ago, Meijinhada said:

It's still literally looking at a file with updated data. 

Did you try running ffprobe on one of these? What was the output?

Ok. Try refreshing the metadata on that track in emby server. Please see if that changes anything for that individual track. Thanks.

Meijinhada

Still changes nothing.  If I try manually editing the metadata directly in Emby and saving it, it holds.  But if I then refresh the metadata, it goes right back to the wrong info.   This is why I'm so confused, because this hasn't been an issue before. 

Meijinhada
Just now, Luke said:

When you ran ffprobe did you do it with the server's embedded ffprobe build?

No, I ran it on the file that Emby is reading from on my drive.  Didn't even know you could run that in Emby, or how.

Meijinhada
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Also check the album_artists tag because I believe the server checks that before album_artist

Maybe that could be it, then.  I will have to see if there's still a deeper tag I'm not seeing, though I haven't had this issue since using MP3 Tag to change them.

Meijinhada
39 minutes ago, Luke said:

Also check the album_artists tag because I believe the server checks that before album_artist

Well, at least this was figured out!

I had to right click in MP3 Tag and go into Extended Tags, and found there was a duplicate album artist tag.  (I'm not even going to guess why the hell....)  There was ALBUMARTIST (which was still the old info) and ALBUM ARTIST (which MP3 Tag had up front as the tag I was editing originally).  Got rid of the duplicate, and now Emby is reading it correctly.

I thought I was going nuts trying to find this.   Even Emby didn't know that tag was there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1