4k video playing at 1080p on Shield

justinrh

justinrh

One of us does not understand English.  It changes.  The display setting changes.

No, it is not on.

20 hours ago, justinrh said:

No, it is not on

Please try turning the option to match resolution on in the app and see how that compares. 

justinrh

Why would I want to compare with the resolution setting?  So what if it does exactly what it is supposed to do?  Can't we just stick to the problem at hand?

You want the resolution option on but the refresh rate option off?  Does anyone at Emby have a Shield to test with?  I feel like I'm being used as a test dummy.

(Well, maybe a test dummy is an upgrade for me  🤪)

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

Why would I want to compare with the resolution setting? 

Because you are saying that your 4k file is playing at 1080.  So, by turning that option on, the app will be sure to switch to 4k mode when you play a 4k item.

rbjtech

Guys - the Shield HDMI cannot handle 4K @ 120Hz (and the TV as well most likely) - it only has HDMI 2.0b not 2.1 - thus, the Shield/TV is downscaling it to 1080p - which it can probably display ok @ 120Hz as it's within the HDMI 2.0b specifications.

The issue may be the 60Hz/fps source, why it's doubling it I'm not sure.  HDMI 2.0b IS capable of 60Hz @ 4K (but the TV may not be..)

Try and find a 23.976 or 30 Hz/fps source - then it will likely play @ 4K

Edited by rbjtech

justinrh

Thanks for the infos, @rbjtech.  The TV is 4k@120Hz capable.  The vid is 60fps.

So, if I tell Emby to 'match refresh rate', that would tell the TV to use 60Hz, right?  Then I don't understand why there would be any issue except for a bug.

rbjtech
47 minutes ago, justinrh said:

So, if I tell Emby to 'match refresh rate', that would tell the TV to use 60Hz, right?  

yes - that's the concept and it works just fine on 23.976/24 fps - I've never really tested in on hfr or 60Hz content tbh.

But if it's trying to do 120Hz - then its likely your TV doing this,  emby is simply trying to play it - it won't have anything do do with doubling the frame rate.

As an example - my 25Hz content gets doubled to 50Hz by my TV/Shield without my involvement.

justinrh
8 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

As an example - my 25Hz content gets doubled to 50Hz by my TV/Shield without my involvement.

Do you use the Emby 'match refresh rate' option?

Something still ain't adding up if the TV can handle it either way.  But, I'm not saying the hardware is innocent, just that this Emby option causes the bad behavior to happen.

rbjtech
8 hours ago, justinrh said:

Do you use the Emby 'match refresh rate' option?

Something still ain't adding up if the TV can handle it either way.  But, I'm not saying the hardware is innocent, just that this Emby option causes the bad behavior to happen.

Yes - otherwise the TV will play at it's native refresh which is 60Hz.  My LG TV switches to 24/25(doubling to 50)/23.976 depending on source - on some 4K 60fps demo's I have, it stays at 60Hz.

So it's all working as intended - but as I said above, I have no idea where 120Hz is coming from and that is, I believe, the source of your problem as the Shield HDMI cannot handle that.

I still believe the issue would be solved by also selecting "Match resolution" if you match frame rate.

• 2 weeks later...