CORS issues when fetching EMBY images

VicMoore

VicMoore

I have written a tool for editing Emby images (Primary, Logo, and Backdrop) and have run into cors problems when trying to modify or save these images.  I fetch the images via the Emby API and display them on a Javascript canvas.  When I extract the image from the canvas I get a "tainted image error."

Uncaught DOMException: Failed to execute 'toDataURL' on 'HTMLCanvasElement': Tainted canvases may not be exported.

I am using the Javascript download program below.  How do I modify this code to work with Emby so that "cors"  works and allows me to use the image I fetch?  

Vic

async function download(url, callback, options) {
    let myHeaders = new Headers();
    myHeaders.append('pragma', 'no-store');
    myHeaders.append('cache-control', 'no-store');   // reload, no-store, no-cache

let myRequest = new Request(url, {
        method: 'GET',
        //headers: myHeaders,
        mode:   'cors',
        //cache: 'no-store'
    });

let data = await (await fetch(myRequest).catch(handleErr)).json();

if(data.code && data.code==400) {
        console.log("=== Error 400 ",data.code);
    } else {
        //console.log("=== Fetched Obj = ",data);
        callback(data, options);
    };

function handleErr(err) {
        let resp = new Response(
            JSON.stringify({
                code: 400,
            })
        );
        return resp;
    };
};

VicMoore

The tool is attached. Sign-on to your emby server, navigate to a movie and click on it. Select edit and the movie metadata editor will come up. now click edit image.  The image editor experiences the CORS problem.

Vic

tool - luke.zip

Edited by VicMoore

Cheesegeezer

Unfortunately Vic its a security feature in browsers now  because Javascripts are readable by every browser. Https would work. Alternatively you could use nodeJS which would also get you round the problem.

i have had issues before and its a silly one that i forgot to add the http:// to the beginning of the request. That always threw the CORS error too.

VicMoore

Thanks Cheesegeezer for the info.  If I understand right, and I frequently don't, converting the Emby server to HTTPS will solve the problem?  

I checked and I always add the HTTP:// to my requests. Thanks for pointing out this possible problem.

Vic

Cheesegeezer
49 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

Thanks Cheesegeezer for the info.  If I understand right, and I frequently don't, converting the Emby server to HTTPS will solve the problem?

yep sure would because its secure. If you noticed before with swagger and the api, in order to access the api, after the CORS security was introduced, we had to change the http physical swagger address to https and then it would work.

cors is only enforced when not accessing local addresses and by that i mean if you test on same server that is hosted on same dev laptop, it will be fine, but accessing another address on the network will fire up the cors issue. 

49 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

I checked and I always add the HTTP:// to my requests. Thanks for pointing out this possible problem.

Vic

Yeah it killed me for days wondering why lol 😂 then i posted here in the dev section and someone kindly pointed that out to me and all was good. 

merry Christmas Vic and hope you have a good ones.

VicMoore

Thanks Cheesegeezer

I will try to convert to https.  It will be a learning experience.

If you have a spare moment try the app I posted above and let me know if the image editor works when you are running HTTPS.  I dont have the save keys enabled so it will not save anything.

Merry Christmas,   Vic

Edited by VicMoore

Cheesegeezer
2 hours ago, VicMoore said:

Thanks Cheesegeezer

I will try to convert to https.  It will be a learning experience.

If you have a spare moment try the app I posted above and let me know if the image editor works when you are running HTTPS.  I dont have the save keys enabled so it will not save anything.

Merry Christmas,   Vic

I will for sure fire it up, but wont be till 27th, someone invented Xmas and we now have to cook for a Roman legion these days lol 😂 

have a good one and catch you on the flip side 👍👍

If you want to mirror what our javascript does, try removing mode from your fetch requests and instead specfying:

credentials: 'same-origin'

VicMoore

Luke, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.

Vic

image.png.15ef72c31cb731881592b90e2e384f23.png

async function download(url, callback, options) {
    let myHeaders = new Headers();
    myHeaders.append('pragma', 'no-store');
    myHeaders.append('cache-control', 'no-store');   // reload, no-store, no-cache

let myRequest = new Request(url, {
        method: "GET",
        credentials: 'same-origin'
        //headers: myHeaders,
        //mode:   "cors"
        //cache: 'no-store'
    });

let data = await (await fetch(myRequest).catch(handleErr)).json();

if(data.code && data.code==400) {
        console.log("=== Error 400 ",data.code);
    } else {
        //console.log("=== Fetched Obj = ",data);
        callback(data, options);
    };

function handleErr(err) {
        let resp = new Response(
            JSON.stringify({
                code: 400,
            })
        );
        return resp;
    };
};

Edited by VicMoore

Cheesegeezer
7 hours ago, VicMoore said:

Thanks Roaku for the link.  I tried every proposed solution. None worked.

Vic

Hi Vic, you have an issue with your url call, it should not start with File:// this is why the cors error is being triggered.

double check it. In fact log the call(GET) to the url to console so you can see exactly what is being sent.