Emby Using Date Modified for Sorting

sonofamort
Go to solution Solved by sonofamort,

sonofamort

I've run into an issue where Emby is using the file's Date Modified field for sorting instead of Date Created. I've tried setting both the "Use file creation date" and "Use date scanned into library" options under "Date added behavior for new content" but they don't make any difference. I've attached an example below...this is the last file added to my library but it is appearing in the list as if it were added on December 5 instead of December 23. Looking at the metadata for the file, it shows December 5 even though this is incorrect. Can anyone tell me what populated the Date Added field for the file's metadata?

image.thumb.png.519e7159bad8c29b6d1e0844403a7a99.png

image.thumb.png.f5119446cc96528bdf5f825312899cfe.png

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, sonofamort said:

I've tried setting both the "Use file creation date" and "Use date scanned into library" options under "Date added behavior for new content" but they don't make any difference.

How did you test this?  Do you write metadata with media?

sonofamort

I'm not sure I understand your second question. My assumption is that the date listed in the file's metadata is over-riding the setting I'm using in Library > Advanced > Date added behavior. I'm not manually doing anything with metadata...once the files are downloaded, Radarr is automatically moving them and Emby picks them up from there. 

Happy2Play

Changing the "Date added behavior for new content:" will not change existing imported "Date Added".  But do you write NFO files with media?

if the option is on Scan Date does a new item get correct Date Added?

sonofamort

Gotcha. I am not writing NFO files with media. I just ran another test...with the option set to "Scan Date" the media is using the file "modified date" for the metadata "creation date" and is not showing up as the last media added, based on scan date, in Emby.

image.thumb.png.135823f9af756de1a4f3db7c89ea7451.png

Edited by sonofamort
Added screen shot

Happy2Play

Unless Radarr is doing something I always get Scan Date when importing media ie today.  If I change to Created Date I get date on file.

I will have to search to see if there are other Radaar Date added topics.

sonofamort

I confirmed that Radarr was set to NOT modify the file date (Change FIle Date set to None). As a test, I changed that setting to "In Cinemas Date" and downloaded another film. This time, Radarr changed the file's Modified date to the Cinema date for the film which is what shows as the "Added" date in Emby. And, as above, the file does not show at the top when sorting by Date Added in Emby. Basically, Emby is using the file modified date regardless of what Radarr is doing when importing.

Happy2Play

I don't use Radaar but have you tried manually adding media to see if Scan date is used?

sonofamort

Confirmed, adding a file manually, even with a modified date from several days ago, results in Emby updating the "added" date to when the file was scanned in. So, looks like it is something on the Radarr side?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play

It would appear so but honest can't say exactly as a none *arrs user.

@CBersdo you still use this?  If so do you see this behavior?

sonofamort

I think this might actually be on the SABnzbd side. Before, when I tested the manual import, I used a torrent. I tried a manual download/import from SABnzbd and it exhibited the same behavior that I am seeing when using Radarr. I haven't made any changes on the SABnzbd side and this issue seems to have started within the past 24 hours. Any ideas?

sonofamort

I tried that already using both SABnzbd and a torrent and I'm seeing sporadic results. I do not believe Radarr is the issue since the problem still happens when manually adding files downloaded from SABnzbd. So far, none of the files that were downloaded from torrent have resulted in an incorrect "added" date, but files downloaded using SABnzbd sometimes show the correct date regardless of whether I use Radarr or through manual download.

sonofamort

I've yet to figure out what is causing this issue. I don't think it's related to radarr since the issue happens sporadically whether I manually add files or allow radarr to handle them. I don't think it's the download client since I've been able to reproduce using both torrent and usenet. I've gone through every metadata setting I can find, I've restarted all the apps and rebooted my systems and the issue persists. Occasionally, a recently added movie will show up properly by date added, but more often than not they show up based on the file modified date. I would love to hear any suggestions for additional troubleshooting.

Have you tried adding a file without using any download client to see how that compares? Thanks.

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you tried adding a file without using any download client to see how that compares? Thanks.

Confirmed previously.

On 12/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, sonofamort said:

Confirmed, adding a file manually, even with a modified date from several days ago, results in Emby updating the "added" date to when the file was scanned in. So, looks like it is something on the Radarr side?

sonofamort

I've since confirmed that this has nothing to do with Radarr and is sporadically occurring regardless of download client and whether it is automatically added (via something like Radarr) or manually added.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, sonofamort said:

I've since confirmed that this has nothing to do with Radarr and is sporadically occurring regardless of download client and whether it is automatically added (via something like Radarr) or manually added.

How did you do that?

How does one reproduce it as every item I add honors Scan date, or Creation date depending on what I have the option set to.

sonofamort

Starting with Radarr: Sometimes files added and "managed" through Radarr will show up by actual date added and sometimes they show up based on the file's modified date. Moving to manual adds from SABnzbd: I've tested several times by manually adding/downloading from SAB and then copying to a folder on my media server that is monitored. Like those added from Radarr, sometimes the show up by the date scanned by Emby and sometimes they show up based on the file's modified date. I do not use torrents with Radarr, but I tested that way as well with the same results. Files added to the monitored folder sometimes show up by the date scanned into Emby and sometimes by the file's modified by date.

Edited by sonofamort
Grammar

On 1/3/2023 at 10:01 PM, sonofamort said:

Starting with Radarr: Sometimes files added and "managed" through Radarr will show up by actual date added and sometimes they show up based on the file's modified date. Moving to manual adds from SABnzbd: I've tested several times by manually adding/downloading from SAB and then copying to a folder on my media server that is monitored. Like those added from Radarr, sometimes the show up by the date scanned by Emby and sometimes they show up based on the file's modified date. I do not use torrents with Radarr, but I tested that way as well with the same results. Files added to the monitored folder sometimes show up by the date scanned into Emby and sometimes by the file's modified by date.

Perhaps there is an nfo file containing the unwanted value? This is usually the reason. Radarr is probably writing an nfo file.

sonofamort

I’ve verified that there are no other files other that the videos themselves being written to the monitored folder. 

• 3 weeks later...
sonofamort
On 1/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, Luke said:

Have you tried adding a file without using any download client to see how that compares? 

Not exactly sure if I’m understanding correctly…I have manually added files and I have let Radarr and Sonarr automatically move them. In both cases I experience the issue. Since my last post I have completely reinstalled Emby server and I’m still seeing the issue. At this point all I can think to do is switch back to Plex as I’ve tried everything I know to troubleshoot with Emby and I cannot get “date added” sorting to work properly.

What if you just add it manually without having radarr and sonarr automatically move them? How does that compare?