Live TV not scaling correctly, Roku Streaming Stick

catch42

Both TVs I tried were set to the normal "fullscreen" aspect ratio. The Roku is set to "automatic", which is 1080p. Again, this only happens with Live TV broadcast in 720p. If I record the same program and play it back, it fills the screen normally. It seems to be treating Live TV programs broadcast at 720p as if they were 1080p, showing the program in the upper left with the rest of the space shown in green. Even if I change the TV aspect ratio to "zoom", the program is cutoff, because it is in the upper left, where the TV will zoom in on the center of the screen. 

This is a problem with the Roku firmware on some models when rendering MPEG2. The Roku will not upscale correctly for some progressive MPEG2 content. It assumes the Live TV MPEG2 stream should be interlaced then it could deinterlace on hardware which would then upscale. This is a bug in that devices firmware that upscaling cannot occur without deinterlacing when rendering MPEG2.

The Emby Roku app can fix this itself. But you need to do this manually since we cannot detect when this will happen.

If you press DOWN during video playback and choose the cog icon it will open Playback Settings. Inside the Playback Settings choose the "Attempt Playback Correction" button and it should solve the problem. You can use the Attempt Playback Correction multiple times, but with Live TV you should only have to do this once.

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...