Playback correction with AV1 ends in freezed video

hbbs

RanmaCanada

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but it may be time to upgrade your ancient home theatre setup, your server, or you can start converting your pirated content to what your reciever likes before putting it on the server, or rip it yourself "properly". I know this is not what you want, but you have to face reality. No one else has apparently spoken up about this.

Sorry, as a user myself, if I was having this problem for this long, I would be proactive and ensure my content fit my ancient hardware if I was too poor to upgrade it. I sure as heck would not be as patient as you appear to have been. It's not that difficult to process your files before putting them on the server, you can easily a batch file to process them. 

Toslink is 40 years old as it was introduced in 1983. Let it die.

• Agree 1

hbbs

I appreciate your honesty. 

The issue what I'm talking here is that somehow if you get a media file that contains an AV1 track and an Opus multichannel track, getting only Opus to be transcoded to AC3 5.1 while only direct playing AV1 (copy)

The problem is that when it does transcode the video image of the untouched AV1 track that is being direct played freezes on the very first frame after I hit the playback correct option while the audio goes on. Even if I skip 10 minutes ahead, the video will be freezed on that said frame. Only the transcoded audio will act accordingly.

This issue is even worse within Plex. If a multichannel opus audio track together with an AV1 video track is detected everything is transcoded to H264+AC3

For all I could gathered since I've opened this topic here there is/was an issue with FFmpeg that was making difficult to direct play AV1 + transcoding Opus to AC3 5.1.

But this was in late 2022 / Early 2023. And since then at least two major version of FFmpeg were released. 

I'm here hoping that with the latest FFmpeg version the video freezing (copy) may be addressed 

My audio setup is old. But a file containing HEVC+Opus 5.1 is properly 'corrected' to copy HEVC and transcode Opus to AC3 5.1.

Screenshot_20240419-024954.png.2fb794e7dbb6388c8da18ca072f350e7.png

RanmaCanada

Yes  but I believe EBR expalined that in regards to the HLS stream, it is/was still not possible with AV1. HEVC is a totally different codec. Using it as a reason to beleive that AV1 will work is like asking "why can't I put petrol in my Tesla? It's a car, and all cars run on petrol" The fact Plex is also having a serious problem, with the amount of resources they have, should tell you that it's not a problem with the software, but with the video codec itself. Again I would just process my files before adding them to my server. Many of us already go through the process of cutting out redundant audio and sub tracks, or even re-encoding things to save space prior to adding them to our servers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

hbbs
11 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

The fact Plex is also having a serious problem, with the amount of resources they have, should tell you that it's not a problem with the software, but with the video codec itself

Emby enabled AV1 almost 2 years before Plex. They don't care about adding this stuff anymore.

They were the last to allow AV1 to playback when even Kodi had it. 

Plex's business now is to add features that nobody asked to spy/sell on its users' data to their economic advantage.

23 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

Yes  but I believe EBR expalined that in regards to the HLS stream, it is/was still not possible with AV1

@ebr told me that on December, 21. 2022. Since then three different major releases of FFmpeg have been made.

Since we are talking about two open/royalty-free codecs (AV1 + Opus) Maybe something has changed.

I remember reading back then that future iterations of FFmpeg could sort this out

I know that Emby still uses FFmpeg 5.1.x, the LTS one, even on the beta server version.

But if someone is willing to send me an experimental beta emby server with FFmpeg 7.0 baked in I will be willing to start my server all over again to test it.

And for last. I have files on my server done by myself with AV1 + AC3 to avoid this issue. But everything else on the web will be AV1 + Opus (multichannel).

The Scene went with this combo of open codecs years ago. 

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, hbbs said:

Emby enabled AV1 almost 2 years before Plex. They don't care about adding this stuff anymore.

They were the last to allow AV1 to playback when even Kodi had it. 

Plex's business now is to add features that nobody asked to spy/sell on its users' data to their economic advantage.

@ebr told me that on December, 21. 2022. Since then three different major releases of FFmpeg have been made.

Since we are talking about two open/royalty-free codecs (AV1 + Opus) Maybe something has changed.

I remember reading back then that future iterations of FFmpeg could sort this out

I know that Emby still uses FFmpeg 5.1.x, the LTS one, even on the beta server version.

But if someone is willing to send me an experimental beta emby server with FFmpeg 7.0 baked in I will be willing to start my server all over again to test it.

And for last. I have files on my server done by myself with AV1 + AC3 to avoid this issue. But everything else on the web will be AV1 + Opus (multichannel).

The Scene went with this combo of open codecs years ago. 

So why not just insert an AC3 track and make it the default audio track like I suggested earlier in the thread ? 

A little time invested preparing media, pays dividends later on because it direct plays.   

• Agree 1

hbbs
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

So why not just insert an AC3 track and make it the default audio track like I suggested earlier in the thread ? 

A little time invested preparing media, pays dividends later on because it direct plays.   

This is not possible. How can I acquire an original AC3 track for a release done by the Scene? 

Also, it defeats the purpose of having Emby transcode/manager stuff for me in the first place.

For Direct Play we had Kodi to begin with. 

This issue will always come back, AV1 hasn't superseded HEVC as of yet. But trust me it will.

AV1+Opus makes all the sense. Not only for streaming data but for storage since it occupies less space. 

• Disagree 3

jaycedk

Guess if that is your what you believe and cling to, then you will see this.

Take a look at Tdarr.

RanmaCanada
4 hours ago, hbbs said:

This is not possible. How can I acquire an original AC3 track for a release done by the Scene? 

Also, it defeats the purpose of having Emby transcode/manager stuff for me in the first place.

For Direct Play we had Kodi to begin with. 

This issue will always come back, AV1 hasn't superseded HEVC as of yet. But trust me it will.

AV1+Opus makes all the sense. Not only for streaming data but for storage since it occupies less space. 

And when it supercedes HEVC, if you're still using your ancient hardware, you'll probably continue to blame the devs of Emby when it's an issue with the way AV1 is designed to work. There are no magic work arounds for a base codec's inability to be used in a certain stream style. Upgrade your home theatre receiver or process the files before adding them to your library. There is only so much hand holding a dev team can do when users refuse to use modern hardware. It's like people complaining that XP support no longer exists for newer programs. Sorry man, but that's the reality of the situation you are in. AV1 is still in its infancy, and there are a lot of inherit problems with it. 

As for your thing with Plex, Plex has over 100 staff members, tens of millions of dollars to play with, and don't add things until they know they work 100%. There's a reason they are "so far behind" in regards to video codec support, as AV1 is still not ready for mainstream, yet Emby users demanded it, and now people aren't happy that there are problems with the half baked implementation.

I don't know why this is a hill you're willing to die on when the solution is such a simple one on your end.

• Agree 1

VirulentPip
17 hours ago, hbbs said:

This is not possible. How can I acquire an original AC3 track

You don't.... You convert the OPUS Track into one that your equipment can support, remux the second track in and set as default while choosing to keep both or just the supported one. 

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

You don't.... You convert the OPUS Track into one that your equipment can support, remux the second track in and set as default while choosing to keep both or just the supported one. 

Yup - all done in a single ffmpeg command - which has already been provided in this thread ... ;)

RanmaCanada

From what I understand in order for AV1 to work with HLS you need to use HLS.js which is against the spec as it doesn't specify AV1 as a valid value in the CODECS field. That is why it freezes as it doesn't know what to do so it panics and freezes. This is akin to the kid who wanted Emby devs to support features that Intel specifically said they did not support.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

In the end the HLS delivery method of items that require change does not support what you want.  If the item cannot Direct play (video and audio) there really is nothing the devs can do to force what you want as it currently is not possible as previously stated.

To a point HEVC was the same way awhile ago until it evolved so I guess AV1 in a few years may do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 3:39 PM, RanmaCanada said:

From what I understand in order for AV1 to work with HLS you need to use HLS.js which is against the spec as it doesn't specify AV1 as a valid value in the CODECS field. That is why it freezes as it doesn't know what to do so it panics and freezes. This is akin to the kid who wanted Emby devs to support features that Intel specifically said they did not support.

Right and the web app does this.