Playback correction with AV1 ends in freezed video

hbbs

I was trying to get to convert Opus 5.1 to AC3 5.1.

This was achieved using playback correction in the Android TV app 

The issue which am I having is that get ting to remux audio I ended with a frozen image but the audio kept going.

I have provided an automatic log at 16:28 ET.

The user logged in my server was Hebert

Hope that helps somehow.

embyserver.zip ffmpeg-remux-752b513a-69f5-4569-91c1-773e119d5c9f_1.zip

Edited by hbbs
Added logs

Like I said in the other thread - this means that we cannot stream copy AV1 in HLS but this isn't really an issue for you right now since the item is direct playing fine.

What you are really after is a way to convert  your Opus to Dolby but, since Opus is technically supported on the device, there is no way to do this.  Why do you have Opus tracks if you want Dolby?

It worked on an old file that has a DTS 5.1 track. It remuxed seamlessly.  It has H.264 video though. 

It worked also on a file that I've created from scratch HEVC+ Opus. Seamlessly. 

AV1+Opus is the way the Scene is going with this. And it makes sense since using AV1 and retaining a DTS audio can create some crazy situations where the video part (1080p 10bit with HDR!) is smaller than a DTS track. 

I have some AV1 files that I've gathered these last two years. Only Saturday I got my hands on a device that has AV1 hardware decoding playback capabilities 

Before I was only reporting performance issues while transcoding AV1 to H264.  I'm used to contributing to these reports. I was using EmbyCon on Kodi to watch some stuff.

Kodi has the option to transcode not supported codecs to AC3. It converts AAC, Opus to AC3 5.1

It works well. Even on the Raspberry Pi

Now, this become an issue. I can only here hope that with more situations like this one I'm reporting becoming mainstream we could find a workaround.

Trust me on this. There's a deluge of AV1 files incoming next year.

Isn't that a way to edit the profile of my device within the Emby Server?

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 7:18 PM, ebr said:

Like I said in the other thread - this means that we cannot stream copy AV1 in HLS but this isn't really an issue for you right now since the item is direct playing fine.

What you are really after is a way to convert  your Opus to Dolby but, since Opus is technically supported on the device, there is no way to do this.  Why do you have Opus tracks if you want Dolby?

Hi @ebr

Is there something we (Emby users) can do to help fix this issue with HLS?

Maybe reporting things upstream. I've read that the next version of FFmpeg will bring a lot of AV1 improvements. There are a lot of people that will need Opus converted to DD due to only having audio receivers with optical only input.

Please, let us know.

Thanks.

Hi.  There would have to be some sort of option in the app to tell it to convert the opus to DD but, again, why do you have opus audio tracks if what you really want is DD?

rbjtech

Any hardware that has AV1 decode in h/w is surely going to be able to natively decode Opus anyway ?

All the Amazon FireTV products from 2017 do for starters...

Edited by rbjtech

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  There would have to be some sort of option in the app to tell it to convert the opus to DD but, again, why do you have opus audio tracks if what you really want is DD?

For the files that I do make I can put a DD/DTS track on them.

But the problem is that the scene already established that AV1+Opus goes together. and there is a lot of stuff out there already 

And it totally makes sense, to be honest. Having an AC3/DTS track with basically the same size (in some cases) as the video track is nonsense.

How can we proceed in order to add such an option to convert Opus 5.1/7.1 to DD 5.1? It would be added on the server-side?

Do we need a poll?

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Any hardware that has AV1 decode in h/w is surely going to be able to natively decode Opus anyway ?

All the Amazon FireTV products from 2017 do for starters...

AV1 video track is OK, I have a device that can HW decode it. The issue is in the audio track.

I need the audio to be converted/sent as DD due to the limitation of my audio receiver which has only SPDIF (optical) input.

27 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

surely going to be able to natively decode Opus anyway

The device is decoding it fine.  The issue is that it is only stereo and he wants a 5.1 track.  To do that, it would require an audio conversion on the server.

rbjtech

hmm ok - and it's stereo because it's going via the TV and it is only outputting AC3 2.0 or PCM 2.0 to the Receiver via optical/toslink - correct ?

If that's the case, then an option is to just insert an AC3 track into the MKV - making it the new default if you wish ? 

ffmpeg -y -report -i "input.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 ac3 -ac 6 -filter:a:0 "volume=1.2" -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 -metadata:s:a:0 title="AC3 5.1 (Default)" -f matroska "output.mkv"

Once created, then it should direct play with AC3.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, rbjtech said:

hmm ok - and it's stereo because it's going via the TV and it is only outputting AC3 2.0 or PCM 2.0 to the Receiver via optical/toslink - correct ?

If that's the case, then an option is to just insert an AC3 track into the MKV - making it the new default if you wish ? 

ffmpeg -y -report -i "input.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 ac3 -ac 6 -filter:a:0 "volume=1.2" -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 -metadata:s:a:0 title="AC3 5.1 (Default)" -f matroska "output.mkv"

Once created, then it should direct play with AC3.

Yes. On the particular example I mentioned it is just like this. 

The only device that I own as of now (still waiting for a newer Nvidia Shield TV)  that supports AV1 hardware decoding is the Xiaomi Stick TV 4K. 

There's a cable connected from the TV's  SPDIF out to the SPDIF in of my audio receiver.

Yes, I would like that the default be to transcode multichannel Opus, AAC or FLAC to AC3 5.1.

Downmixing 7.1 to AC3 5.1 as well 

Leaving an original AC3 5.1 or  DTS functioning just like it's today over passthrough.

While maintaining the copy of the video track in AV1.

Edited by hbbs
Typo

37 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

I've done that in December. But I'm assuming that is a newer build. 

Is there a newer version of Emby Server Beta beyond the version 4.8.0.21 for the Shield?

This one is from last December. I wonder if there's is something wrong and I'm not being notified of a new version.

Please, let me know. 

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, hbbs said:

I've done that in December. But I'm assuming that is a newer build. 

Is there a newer version of Emby Server Beta beyond the version 4.8.0.21 for the Shield?

This one is from last December. I wonder if there's is something wrong and I'm not being notified of a new version.

Please, let me know. 

Nope that is the latest beta as the next beta needs lots of work and changes to work on playlists.  Still waiting of next release but should be soon.

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Nope that is the latest beta as the next beta needs lots of work and changes to work on playlists.  Still waiting of next release but should be soon.

Fair enough. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

@Luke

I just did that with version 3.2.92 of the Emby for Android. I have used the default settings on both Emby Server and Emby For Android since they are both clean installs. 

is still behaving the same way as back in December when I realized this issue in the first place. 

Is being Direct Played (Opus 5.1 audio) but since I only have an audio receiver capable of receiving SPDIF input which is coming from my TV SPDIF Out. 

it is only showing stereo audio when the expected behavior should be to have a Dolby Digital 5.1 data signal being transcoded from Opus 5.1 directly from Emby Server, I think.

Differently from the Android TV one apparently there isn't a way to apply a playback correction using the cog wheel.

Or am I missing something?

Please, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tested this just now using the latest Emby Server 4.8.0.26 for Nvidia Shield.

It is still showing the same behaviour. The image is frozen when the audio is transcoded to AC3 5.1

I thought that there was a chance a fix was implemented. 

We're still stuck.

• 1 month later...

@Luke

I have tested the new beta build 4.8.0.32.

Unfortunately, this issue still persists. I have tested with files with 5.1/7.1 Opus audio.

One thing improved though. When I hit playback correction the audio is getting transcoded from Opus 5.1/7.1 to AC3 5.1 much more quickly.

As I mentioned above the video is still being frozen while the transcoded audio is going on. I tried to fast-forward to see if something would happen but to no avail.

Another thing. I have noticed that according to Stats for Nerds, the audio is being transcoded to Dolby 7.1. This must not be the case because my audio receiver is showing on its display (and playing back) Dolby Digital 5.1

Some titles failed to produce even only audio after I hit playback correction. They just kept loading.

Hope that helps. As always feel free to contact me if more debugging is needed. 

Here are the logs: 

Emby Logs.zip

Edited by hbbs

• 3 weeks later...

@Luke Yes, I did. On the day it was released. Last week, I think.

The reason I didn't mention it was because the changelog of .33 and .34 was very short.

There was nothing that could possibly indicate a fix. I'm afraid the situation remains the same.

Since you asked specifically for this .34 version I'm providing new logs, below.

Maybe something new may show up on the logging this time.

As always feel free to contact me anytime.

Regards,

Emby-Logs (v. 4.8.0.34).zip

@Lukeyou haven't asked it. 

But here's the logging from the freshly released 4.8.0.35 version of Emby Server for Nvidia Shield TV 

I have nothing new to report. It behaves exactly as the previous versions: after playback correction is used the audio is correctly transcoded to DD 5.1 and it goes on as  expected but the video freeze out on the last frame played before playback correction was used.

Hope it helps.

Emby-Logs (4.8.0.35).zip

• 3 months later...

@Luke

Hi. I've been testing every new beta release. 

Tested against .40, .41, and now .42.

The issue persists. Video is frozen on the exact frame when playback correction is pressed while AC3 5.1 audio transcoded from Opus 5.1 goes on 

The reason I didn't post here was that I was waiting for a new build mentioning ffmpeg 6. x. In the release notes.

As always feel free to ask for clarification. 

Here are the logs of the .42 version.

embyserver-logs.zip

• 8 months later...
hbbs
Posted (edited)

@Luke

@ebr

@rbjtech

@Happy2Play

Can someone here help me? I think this is important.

I don't think I'm alone on this. A lot of people have old AV receivers with only SPDIF input

I just tested the latest emby-beta  4.9.0.14 and nothing else has changed. I have been testing all versions of the latest 4.9 series since it was introduced to no avail.

Since the last time I posted here (August/2023)  on this thread two versions of FFmpeg were released. I thought this would help to sort this issue out. 

It didn't.

As always I have attached the logs of my latest attempt at getting AC3 audio without video freezing. 

Please, let me know if something is needed.

Thanks

Emby-Logs-April-24.zip

Edited by hbbs