Out of network (via internet) playback is freezing

TonyRostron

TonyRostron

Hi all, 

I use a Synology Nas to host emby server. My mum is trying to stream videos from the Nas to her house TV (outside of my local network).

Been having this issue for weeks so only just trying to resolve now.  She uses a Chromecast and casts emby from the app on her android phone to her TV. Unfortunately every time she plays videos the playback freezes.

Initially I thought it was her network having poor wireless coverage so I bought her a cable so her Chromecast is now wired into the router instead of wireless. I note though her ISP download speed is circa 13Mbps and my upload speed from my house is circa 5Mbps

We have just tried to play a few videos and I even changed the transcode speeds to super fast and the CRF to 30-35 but it still froze. I would've thought this would fix the issue, but alas not.

I've uploaded the current logs if you can help me please? Her username on the server is LooLoo

Many thanks 

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-d1cb1b48-6e34-4676-afd1-4fb614ee7240_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d5ae7dd5-f62b-43f3-8135-c4f4dd051c3a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2ff0f294-7197-40da-9808-06f40a3d8db4_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4d300298-04a9-402e-8a6c-33999371ecca_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-5218b604-4609-477e-8fd6-919125376f52_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-5c218b61-d9e0-4d5e-864d-0cb821ad611d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-63cba5f4-f413-4aa3-a1df-2518bae7e39e_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TonyRostron said:

Initially I thought it was her network having poor wireless coverage so I bought her a cable so her Chromecast is now wired into the router instead of wireless. I note though her ISP download speed is circa 13Mbps and my upload speed from my house is circa 5Mbps

The problem is likely your upload speed.  If you only have 5Mbps from your ISP that isn't very much.  It's going to fluctuate as well probably from 3 to 7Mbps.  Everything anyone does on the internet (from your LAN) is going to use that upload bandwidth to send requests, pass information back and forth to websites as well as acknowledge packets. 5Mbps is barely enough to support 100Mb down.

What upload speed do you get running both of these speed test sites?

https://speedtest.net
https://speed.cloudflare.com/

What numbers do you get using Cloudflare?
Download, Upload, Latency Jitter & Packet Loss

Happy2Play

Have you tried adjusting the client playback quality to something other than Auto?

• Like 1

TonyRostron

@cayars thanks, I'm getting the following:

SpeedTest:

18Mbs download (doesn't test upload)

Cloudflare:

25Mbs download

5.79 Mbs upload

42.1ms latency

41.9ms jitter

0% packet loss

(Attached the CSV for more details)

The thing is, I stream to out-of-network devices all the time, 3 different phones, 4 different tablets, other televisions and these seem to work fine. So wouldn't my upload speed affect that also if that was the issue? 

@Happy2Play yes I've tried all of this too but nothing seems to work

Anything else I can try and test at all? Perhaps using a 4g dongle at my mum's instead of her own broadband perhaps?

Thanks again

speed-results-1673007026.csv

Edited by TonyRostron

Hmm, speedtest.net does both upload and download.

Please try this site again.