Options to enjoy Emby on a new Samsung TV

CharleyVarrick
Go to solution Solved by CharleyVarrick,

CharleyVarrick

So I followed those instructions, but no install is taking place.

When I plug the drive in, TV only response is asking if I want to browse the content,

which I can. I checked the firmware version and its up to date

I did not create a Samsung account, is this step mandatory?

Junglejim
8 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

So I followed those instructions, but no install is taking place.

When I plug the drive in, TV only response is asking if I want to browse the content,

which I can. I checked the firmware version and its up to date

Yea sorry mate, my brother in law would be the one to answer that. :) I don't own a Samsung TV.

He had a few minor problems side loading but got it sorted out in the end.

Not sure about the Samsung acc, I already have one for my TAB but not sure if you need it for your TV?

I'm sure you will find the answers you seek (google) ;)

CharleyVarrick
4 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I'm sure you will find the answers you seek (google) ;)

I did, and the answer that came out was Shield TV, cost 200$ cdn.

I'll talk Santa into it.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
3 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Santa may wish to compare this with the latest firmware.

Paul

Barely cheaper by 10$.

Remote is not bt, they're mentioning an optional ir blaster, but if its wired, its a deal breaker.

Wife's allergic to wires.

What am I not seeing ?

CharleyVarrick

In the whole streaming device offer, which I know nothing about, they seem to go for either 40-50$,

like Roku Express, or Amazon Fire TV Stick, or else many going for +/- 200$: Shield TV, FireTV Cube.

Can those be so much better they're worth 4 or 5 times more?

Edited by CharleyVarrick

21 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Can those be so much better they're worth 4 or 5 times more?

To the market that wants them, yes.

The thing to remember is all of those companies are losing money selling you $50 devices.  Those are simply vehicles to get their content to you which is where they (hope) to make money.  So they are targeted at the bare minimum of streaming performance.  For those who wish to have more power and more support for advanced formats (that aren't even on streaming services) you have to pay much more to make it worth those companies even providing such a box.

• Like 1

• Solution
CharleyVarrick
On 12/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, CharleyVarrick said:

Look what I found on LifeWire 😵

image.png.f9a4c0405278ca868785f685f7958731.png

CharleyVarrick
22 hours ago, ebr said:

To the market that wants them, yes.

The thing to remember is all of those companies are losing money selling you $50 devices.  Those are simply vehicles to get their content to you which is where they (hope) to make money.  So they are targeted at the bare minimum of streaming performance.  For those who wish to have more power and more support for advanced formats (that aren't even on streaming services) you have to pay much more to make it worth those companies even providing such a box.

I hear you, the product is just a foot in the door to get you down subscription avenue.

There's also room for concern in the area of privacy/security.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

• 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick

If I now try to open Emby (thru Tizen), I am getting an error message that the app expired, or something to that effect.

To anyone who experienced this already, how do I make it work again ?

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
On 12/17/2022 at 6:25 AM, pwhodges said:

I use this device to transmit sound from the TV by Bluetooth (for my wife's hearing aids) - I've mounted it behind the TV on the bracket.  It can be fed from the headphone socket or the TOSlink, depending on whether you want to disable the built-in speakers.

Paul

I completely missed this post, this item seems to really fit my need.

Thank you ! 🙂 

Dickydodah!
1 hour ago, CharleyVarrick said:

If I now try to open Emby (thru Tizen), I am getting an error message that the app expired, or something to that effect.

To anyone who experienced this already, how do I make it work again ?

Hi this is a beta version so Samsung expires it every 30 days ish there will be a new one to download. the current version is 1.5.0 (01/11/2013)

I follow this thread so that I get prior notice of expiry;

CharleyVarrick
13 hours ago, Dickydodah! said:

Hi this is a beta version so Samsung expires it every 30 days ish there will be a new one to download. the current version is 1.5.0 (01/11/2013)

Thanks, but I have no luck to either straight update or go thru uninstall old v. then install new v..

All I am offered is to read/browse the widget folder.

Are there any detailed instructions on usb update process ?

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Dickydodah!

Not that I know of. On my TV I just download the zip and unzip it to a freshly formatted USB stick then insert into the TV. It's important to make sure there is nothing else on the stick as the TV writes a file to it if it has been used before and that will prevent an install.

On my second TV  I have to uninstall the App before trying to install a new one. The common mistake is to delete the icon from the "home" screen and not uninstall the app. You need to go into APPS and delete from there, it's unfortunate that Samsung use "delete" not "uninstall" as that would make it much clearer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CharleyVarrick
26 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

On my second TV  I have to uninstall the App before trying to install a new one. The common mistake is to delete the icon from the "home" screen and not uninstall the app. You need to go into APPS and delete from there, it's unfortunate that Samsung use "delete" not "uninstall" as that would make it much clearer.

Exactly my error, now working, thank you !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1