iOS Safari, Web Client & Chromecast

mini__me

mini__me

Hey Guys,

Just purchased a Chromecast to take with me on vacation, I can control from the iOS MB3 Apps as designed but I am unable to see the Chromecast to send Live / Recorded TV to the device using the Web Client on iOS Safari from my iPhone or iPad.

I'm assuming this is a limitation of Safari on the iOS device? Are there any third party browsers or apps I can use that would allow me to send Live / Recorded TV to the Chromecast from MB3?

Cheers

mini

Did you install the google chromecast extension for the chrome browser? that is the first step. then verify you can see your CC device from the extension. once you do that, the web client and ios apps should be able to see it.

mini__me

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a further read. I thought that I wouldn't be able to install the extension on the iOS Chrome Browser.

Just to confirm currently both of  MB3 iOS apps are able to see the CC and control it without issue.  It's just that they don't do the Live TV and Recorded TV currently and I'm on vacation shortly and I doubt the iOS apps will be updated in time for me to use them while I'm away :)

Cheers

mini

mini__me

Hi Luke,

Yes I know I regularly use the webclient on my iOS devices for Recorded and Live TV without issue.  What I wanted to do was to then cast from the webclient running on my iOS device to my shiny new CC while on vacation.

All the articles I can see so far suggest that casting from the Chrome iOS App is limited in it's functionality, attempting to install the cast extension within the Chrome iOS apps suggests it can only be done on a desktop.

I'm a little stumped as to what I am doing wrong.

To clarify I have this situation:

iPhone running Webclient in native Safari (or Chrome App)

- Works perfectly for all media playback in the iPhone including Recorded and Live TV

- Allows control of MBC and Android App on various device and PCs without a problem.

When I open the webclient on my iPhone and browse to the MB3 webclient all MB3 capable devices are displayed with the exception of the Chromecast.

Installing the Chrome iOS App and browsing to the Web Client within the iOS App results in the same behavior above where I can control and playback to all devices with the exception of the Chromecast device.

When I open the iOS iPhone MB3 Application All MB capable devices are displayed including the Chromecast - I can playback from the iOS MB3 App to Chromecast without a problem.

I'm not sure where I am / have gone wrong here?

Cheers

mini

@@Luke ,  I have an idea that could make it possible to use chromecast from any browser or client.

Lets say we could have  our chromecast sticks connected to the server instead of the clients, someting like this:

<Any Client> -- remote --> < Chromecast on Server> --> ChromeCast Stick

Not sure on how to implement the <Chromecast on Server> part but in theory in should be possible.

What do you think ?

mini__me

I've found 'Video and TV Cast' iOS App that allows me to browse the MB3 webclient and send Recorded TV videos to the Chromecast :)

Edited by mini__me