Why is Apple TV converting, transcoding and deinterlacing Live TV?

rdhardi
Go to solution Solved by rdhardi,

rdhardi
8 hours ago, cayars said:

Get a chance to test it yet?

Just tested it, and there is no change. Interlaced live tv is still transcoding. MPV playback is still jerky with audio & video out of sync. As soon as the Apple client connects at 2023-01-02 01:51:00.002, the log starts throwing numerous error reports. Logs attached.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b6608469-061f-4bf4-bb9a-3b49d0f90c1f_1.txt hardware_detection-63808220972.txt

Thanks for the additional information.

This is something a dev is going to need to look at.

• Thanks 1

rdhardi
On 1/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, cayars said:

Thanks for the additional information.

This is something a dev is going to need to look at.

Thanks. Here's some additional info:

So, I installed 4.8.0.21 beta to test issues with my Apple TV as documented in my post.

This morning I decided to try the beta server from Android TV Shield Pro (sidenote: all of our clients are (were) Shield Pros which direct play live tv with zero issues. Then on a whim, I added an Apple TV to the mix...silly me, I expected it to just "work" like the Android TVs. 😞 Thankfully I didn't pay much for it! Anyway...

I changed to the beta server on one of my Shields and it direct played live tv with no errors in the log. I watched for about an hour with no issues and ended playback. Started the Apple TV on beta and, again, as soon as it connected it started throwing errors in the log and transcoding interlaced channels. Playback was ok when it first started, but when I left the room and came back a few minutes later, there was NO sound and when the sound did return it was out of sync with the video. Totally unwatchable! The preferred video player on the apple is set to auto. Logs attached.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-56d765f4-eda6-4e03-94ae-8d7a6ed09c3b_1.txt

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • Solution
rdhardi

At the top of this post, I'm being asked:

"If any of these replies answered your question, please take a moment to click the 'Mark as solution' button on the post with the best answer.
Marking posts as the solution will help other community members find answers to their questions quickly. Thank you for your help!"

I truly appreciate all your help @Lukeand @cayarsand others, but none of the replies solved this issue. I love Emby, we've been with y'all for many years, back from the Media Browser days. But, this issue with the Apple TV and Emby live TV has not been resolved. Thankfully, the Apple TV is in a room that I don't use often, so really no big deal. Just want to close this out with MY solution - use the HDHomerun app when viewing Live TV on the Apple TV. I check with each Apple TV update, but still the same, deinterlacing and transcoding. My daily clients, Android Shields, play direct. Probably an Apple "thing". Anyway, all good, still love Emby! Just marking this solved from my point of view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1