NVidia Shield TV with LG OLED, Dolby Vision Prompt Keeps Popping Up

planedrop

Scrouples23

I know it’s been a while for this subject but for me it’s only when it’s a Dolby Vision file that also has Atmos. If it’s Dolby vision plus DTS HD I don’t have the issue. 

Does that help admin?

rbjtech
13 hours ago, Scrouples23 said:

I know it’s been a while for this subject but for me it’s only when it’s a Dolby Vision file that also has Atmos. If it’s Dolby vision plus DTS HD I don’t have the issue. 

Does that help admin?

It's not an Emby issue ?

If yours does the same - then as far as I am aware, you are only the 2nd person to report this alongside the original OP from over 2 years ago - thus it's a very edge case.

I'd suggest it's your source file that has the issue - maybe rebuild or remux it to see if that fixes it.

Edited by rbjtech

Painkiller8818
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It's not an Emby issue ?

If yours does the same - then as far as I am aware, you are only the 2nd person to report this alongside the original OP from over 2 years ago - thus it's a very edge case.

I'd suggest it's your source file that has the issue - maybe rebuild or remux it to see if that fixes it.

Yes must be like rbtech says.

I have a Nvidia Shield Pro and an LG Oled, without those popups.

Maybe really the files are damaged. So better rip them again from your disc.

js28194

Intresting topic as I am experiencing the exact same issue.  LG OLEC C1, Nvidia Sheild PRO connected to Onkyo.  50MB bit rate, TrueHD.  However, I know this is not related to issue, as if I payed close enough attention, I can "hear" the audio clip out for a fraction of a second, hence receiving Dolby ATmos pop ups.  I supsected this is network issue, my files are clean. I am over Wifi, so I decided to reboot my GT-AX11000 router and all issues gone.

I don't know if this is the same as ya'lls, but it was worth a shot to look into network.

• Like 1

dougw03

I've been experiencing this issue too with Shield + LG OLED G2 + Pioneer AVR with 48gbps HDMI cables. It only happens with Emby and not any other streaming apps. I rebooted my router but no luck. Any other ideas?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, dougw03 said:

I've been experiencing this issue too with Shield + LG OLED G2 + Pioneer AVR with 48gbps HDMI cables. It only happens with Emby and not any other streaming apps. I rebooted my router but no luck. Any other ideas?

Does it happen with all media or only some ?  Only on DV ? or happen on HDR also ?

Filtered power sockets for your AV equipment ?

As has been said above, once the TV is in the correct mode - there is zero reason for the TV to change.   If it is, then it's either a poor hdmi sync going on - or the media (source) is telling it to change something about the pic (could be hdr mode, could be fps etc).

If you can re-produce on a small sample - then maybe post it here to see if we can re-produce.

Edited by rbjtech

dougw03
57 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Does it happen with all media or only some ?  Only on DV ? or happen on HDR also ?

Filtered power sockets for your AV equipment ?

As has been said above, once the TV is in the correct mode - there is zero reason for the TV to change.   If it is, then it's either a poor hdmi sync going on - or the media (source) is telling it to change something about the pic (could be hdr mode, could be fps etc).

If you can re-produce on a small sample - then maybe post it here to see if we can re-produce.

I will run a few tests, but I know it's happening on the vast majority of DV+Atmos media (not sure about DV media without atmos). It doesn't happen on HDR media. I use a basic Belkin surge protector. I'm fairly certain that it's not the media since this only started happening within the last month or so and it's happening on media that never had this issue before. Within that time frame, I swapped from a Denon AVR to Pioneer AVR (both AVR's support DV/Atmos), there was an LG TV O/S update, and I also changed my router (I am hardwired via gigabit ethernet directly into the router). One thing I also noticed was my TV never used to pop up Dolby Vision + Atmos logo and it would only pop up the Dolby Vision logo. That may have been tied to the TV O/S update. I tried turning off eARC on my AVR, but that didn't help. 

Edited by dougw03

rbjtech

How are you connecting the Shield/AVR/TV ?   The TV should not be recieving any Audio signal if it's setup optimally for HD Audio  .. 🤔  

Should be

Shield > HDMI In on AVR = All Audio from Shield passthrough will go into AVR.    Ensure Shield is set to Audio Auto.

HDMI Out on AVR > LG TV = All Video from any AVR HDMI Source will go into TV.

ARC/eARC is not needed in this configuration - as no Audio needs to return from the TV (nor should it).

This is also the only way to get HD Audio - as eARC does not appear to work on an 'app' - only via HDMI, such as a UHD Blu-Ray player.

If you are getting the TV showing 'Atmos' - then it is receiving an Audio signal, which it shouldn't as your AVR should be handling that ...

see - Atmos on LG TV | Emby Documentation (see Option 2)

Edited by rbjtech

dougw03
31 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

How are you connecting the Shield/AVR/TV ?   The TV should not be recieving any Audio signal if it's setup optimally for HD Audio  .. 🤔  

Should be

Shield > HDMI In on AVR = All Audio from Shield passthrough will go into AVR.    Ensure Shield is set to Audio Auto.

HDMI Out on AVR > LG TV = All Video from any AVR HDMI Source will go into TV.

ARC/eARC is not needed in this configuration - as no Audio needs to return from the TV (nor should it).

This is also the only way to get HD Audio - as eARC does not appear to work on an 'app' - only via HDMI, such as a UHD Blu-Ray player.

If you are getting the TV showing 'Atmos' - then it is receiving an Audio signal, which it shouldn't as your AVR should be handling that ...

I have my setup connected as you described with my shield going to my AVR then out to my TV. I understand eARC/ARC isn't needed, but occasionally I will use LG apps. I turned it off on the AVR anyways to see if that was causing the issue.

That said, I tested about 10+ media items and here's my conclusion. There were no issues when media had HDR10 and/or Dolby Atmos are present. I was unable to find any media to test that had DV but no ATMOS. The issue only seems to happen for two scenarios #1 DV + Dolby Atmos (DD+) and #2 DV + Dolby Atmos (TrueHD). For both #1 and #2, whenever I pause or skip in the media, the DV+Atmos logo pops up immediately when I resume. It seems only for scenario #2 with TrueHD content then I get the random DV/Dolby Atmos pop ups every 30-60 seconds. I tested this scenario with 3 movies and the behavior was the same every time. I tested #1 with 5 movies and it was also consistent. As a side note, I really appreciate Emby 4.8 added the ability to tell me which media has DV, however, it's only about 50% accurate and it shows a lot of media as 4K even though it has Dolby Vision or HDR10.  

That being said, I have no idea why the TV is getting the audio information and again it only recently started showing Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos. Before a few weeks ago it would only show Dolby Vision. My Shield is set to auto audio. Let me know if you have any other troubleshooting tips

rbjtech

What version of Emby for AndroidTV are you using ?    Beta - v 2.1.0.4g ? 

(not that you need the latest as I've never had this issue from the first release ..)

rbjtech

Do you have Dolby Processing turned OFF on the shield ? (as your AVR is doing this anyway).

dougw03
51 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

What version of Emby for AndroidTV are you using ?    Beta - v 2.1.0.4g ? 

(not that you need the latest as I've never had this issue from the first release ..)

I'm using 2.0.98g and server 4.8.1

dougw03
48 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Do you have Dolby Processing turned OFF on the shield ? (as your AVR is doing this anyway).

Yes this was causing lip sync issues and disabled it a while ago

js28194
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I am not exactly sure what you mean by this statement.   Can you elaborate please? 

I have my Sheild going to Onkyo then to TV in a "traditional" setup, however I do see albeit for a few moments, HDR on the top right, DV10 on the bottom, then HDR disappears and Dolby Atmos for a few seconds and disappears.  This is expected behaviour as my AVR pass this information via meta data to the TV and promptly disappers.  This I tested both in the Android TV app (not phone) and Kodi (I use E4k) as my daily driver across my 4 Sheilds.  My initial issue above was in both Kodi and Emby, however, like I said a reboot of my router fixed this and since then I have retested the same file and everything is working perfectly fine.

image.png.a8cd7fa60f274d701a492533ce488242.png

To add, this is why I suspected Network in the first place and paid attention to the "micro fraction" of pausing in the Audio.  I had to Sherlock my way into this and deduce that there was some glitch in the matrix as my network is strong, something was a miss.  Like I said I above I retested this file again today and have had no issues at all.  I really wish I could have replicated to help some folks but alas.  It works in the Lab :)  And dangit, you can obviously deduce this is "The Avengers"... Emby exposed me agian :)

Edited by js28194

rbjtech
8 hours ago, js28194 said:

I am not exactly sure what you mean by this statement.   Can you elaborate please? 

Simply put - you want the AVR to decode the Audio, you do not want any Audio coming out the TV speakers.

It may be that the AVR is indeed passing the Audio metadata along with the Video passthrough, but it should not be passing the Audio (bitstreaming) any 'further' on the HDMI chain.   If it is, then you're going to potentially be getting sound ot your TV speakers as well will will destroy any sound positioning and probably will be adding a nasty audio delay on the sound as well.

Any half decent AVR is going to have a video overlay (usually toggle on/off on the remote) - so you get a notice on what the signal is, how many channels, what speakers are active etc etc. 

Yannouxix

I had the same issue. I may have found a solution.

On LG's settings, go to Sound, Advanced Setting and then on DTV Audio Setting, change from Auto to Pass Through.

dougw03
5 hours ago, Yannouxix said:

I had the same issue. I may have found a solution.

On LG's settings, go to Sound, Advanced Setting and then on DTV Audio Setting, change from Auto to Pass Through.

Thank you! This seems to have fixed it for me as well. I still get the notification when I pause/skip but this is much less distracting than the random popups.

FYI @rbjtech

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
NorthDegree

Doesn’t anyone have a Fire TV cube 3rd gen and have this issue ? Just curious if this is a shield TV pro only issue

Edited by NorthDegree

Scrouples23

I turned off HDMI CEC on my receiver and the issue hasn’t happened once since then. No idea why that would cause it but perhaps how the receiver speaks to the OLED passing things back and forth.

be curious if this helps anyone else!

• Like 2