My tinkering problem.

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I seem to have what I guess is a form of OCD.
It seems that no matter how good or complete my Emby server/distribution setup is I cannot resist the urge to "improve" it.

Over the last year I have redone/moved/optimized/improved my setup at least 5 times. That number of changes has been about the same ever since I retired several years ago.  before that I may have had the same urges but they were fulfilled by the normal "work" needs and changes.

Every time I make changes I have a period of real anxiety that things will go horribly wrong and they have a couple of times.

I do not think it is really detrimental to my life but as I get older, over 75, I find making changes more and more taxing and I get tired real easily so I nearly run out of gas half way through the process. I know that once I start making changes I must follow through and finish or I will be without Emby for a while. That worries me somewhat but I just can't resist making changes and the last one, completed yesterday, really makes a difference in both ease of maintenance and convenience.

I want to not have to go through what I did yesterday again but I am already finding that I have little "ideas" of things that "could" be better.

I do not really need help or the help I need can not be obtained from an online message board so I am just posting here to share a bit and see if others have similar issues.

BTW: When I still had a Plex server changes went wrong more often than they do now but I do not know if the difference is just that the hardware and software has improved or that Emby is truly more stable, both now and then, than Plex.

I hope I can reduce my urges to change things as would hate to be trapped bedridden without Emby. I have other things I can watch/listen to but I prefer Emby most of the time.

I guess I need a hobby to direct those urges but electronics/networking are just fun and I am very good at them and my Emby setup seems always to be a little short of perfect. All other hobbies seem kind of dull, uninteresting or too tiring to learn so I guess I am stuck with my Emby setup obsession.

• Like 4

TeamB

perhaps try setting up a second instance of emby to play with, you could even use the beta server on the new test instance to help test out new features etc.

Gilgamesh_48
4 hours ago, TeamB said:

perhaps try setting up a second instance of emby to play with, you could even use the beta server on the new test instance to help test out new features etc.

That is a good idea. However I already do that and I also have a "whole house" audio system using MediaMonkey to play and control audiobooks everywhere in my home. And I have also combined it with voice control (Using Alexa) to make starting/stopping playback easy.

I have a number of systems that I can tinker with but that actually fuels my desire to tinker rather than reducing it.

BTW: I do not actually play my audiobooks through my Echo devices because there is not, yet, a reliable way for Alexa to play from local media and all my audiobooks are stored locally.

• Like 1