Feature Request: Profile Selection on Roku login

radioactivesqrl

radioactivesqrl

I searched for forums and didn't see any requests for this yet, but would it be possible to add multiple user profiles to the Roku Emby app? Other streaming apps support multiple user profiles which make it convenient to resume content and to manage which content has been played by which user.

Since Emby works a little differently where each user has their own user/pass unlike Netflix/Disney+ where the profiles are behind a single account I don't know if that poses a problem. I believe that Prime Streaming works the same way that Emby would have to with multiple user accounts with unique logins.

I only have a single server in my case, but the ability to select one of multiple accounts across multiple emby servers would probably be desirable by some.

Hi, well yea we'd have to reinvent the way our whole user system works so it's not something that would be specific to the Emby Roku app.

radioactivesqrl

While I'm not intimately familiar with the architecture. I would *think* that there would just need to be an extra screen added to the Roku app launch where credentials would be entered and cached or selected from prior credentials. The credentials are already being cached for a single user's automatic login. I would hope that it wouldn't be too much of a lift to expand that to multiple users and add a selection screen prior to the login action.

(not advocating for Netflix style user profile management since that would be a radical departure from how users are managed, but a system where each user maintains their own credentials)

Thanks for the quick reply.

1 hour ago, radioactivesqrl said:

While I'm not intimately familiar with the architecture. I would *think* that there would just need to be an extra screen added to the Roku app launch where credentials would be entered and cached or selected from prior credentials. The credentials are already being cached for a single user's automatic login. I would hope that it wouldn't be too much of a lift to expand that to multiple users and add a selection screen prior to the login action.

(not advocating for Netflix style user profile management since that would be a radical departure from how users are managed, but a system where each user maintains their own credentials)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe you can accomplish this already if you configure the server and app to do it.

My Rokus all open to the Emby user selection screen on app launch.

Edit: The difference may be that all my users are local and either have a pin or no credentials required.

Edited by roaku

radioactivesqrl
2 hours ago, roaku said:

I believe you can accomplish this already if you configure the server and app to do it.

My Rokus all open to the Emby user selection screen on app launch.

Edit: The difference may be that all my users are local and either have a pin or no credentials required.

My users are the same (local). Can you expand on how you configured it to do that? When I launch Emby, it automatically logs in as a specific user. If I hit the back button, it completely logs me out and I need to select the server and type user/pass from scratch.

6 minutes ago, radioactivesqrl said:

My users are the same (local). Can you expand on how you configured it to do that? When I launch Emby, it automatically logs in as a specific user. If I hit the back button, it completely logs me out and I need to select the server and type user/pass from scratch.

Sorry, I'm not in front of any of my Rokus or Emby Server at the moment.

Going from possibly faulty memory...

There is an option in the Emby Roku app settings to remember the last user to login. I have that unchecked. This causes Emby on Roku to open up to the user selection screen (or, the server selection screen if there's more than one Emby server on the network).

On the Emby server, you can configure each user individually to not require password and/or to allow PIN access while on LAN. I have a mix of no login required and PIN users on my server.

This set up is pretty convenient. The user selection screen is always the first thing users see, and 'switch users' is available for quickly switching between users when the app is already running.