Subtitles force video transcode with live TV

willwhitworth

willwhitworth

I have a Roku Ultra (4670X) that will direct play Live TV video from a 1080i OTA channel without issue when subtitles are disabled, which is great.

image.thumb.png.2e6076f426a80e1bf4d510c409705b78.png

However, once I enabled subtitles, the stream restarts and then transcodes the video since it's converting the subtitles directly into the video. NOTE: I have the "Burn in SSA subtitles" set to "No" in the Roku playback settings.

image.thumb.png.613c54bd1e5b3b2e437f29cfb84c8b19.png

What's strange to me is that I can play this same show using Plex Live TV and it will direct stream the video even when I have subtitles enabled. The stream does not restart if I turn subtitles on or off like it does with Emby.

image.png.bf59e5d158fb6999f2bdafafb4d856fe.png

Do I have something set incorrectly in Emby that is causing the video transcoding when subtitles are enabled? It doesn't appear to be an issue with the Roku hardware, since it works without transcoding the video with Plex Live TV.

Let me know if it would be helpful to provide any additional details. Thanks!

willwhitworth

I just did another test to reproduce the issue. Here's the 2 server logs for watching live TV channel WMC-NBC 5.1 without subtitles and then with subtitles.

ffmpeg-remux-b6e3366f-3481-4c7a-acf2-458047fa9d51_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-025eb2d8-0728-4eca-b299-672b1fb74216_1.txt

I also submitted a log from the Roku at 4:07 PM Eastern, in case that helps. The user name is Will.

Let me know if there's anything else helpful I can provide. Thank you!

Edited by willwhitworth