Disable channels

gillmacca01

gillmacca01

My IPTV provider supplies me with 19000 channels. I only need about 100

Is there a way to either disable all channels when m3u is first imported, or preferably disable channels by live tv tag?

I know xteve is an option, but don't want to have to run a separate program if I can do it in Emby

Edited by gillmacca01

samsung2100
On 08/12/2022 at 13:39, gillmacca01 said:

My IPTV provider supplies me with 19000 channels. I only need about 100

Is there a way to either disable all channels when m3u is first imported, or preferably disable channels by live tv tag?

I know xteve is an option, but don't want to have to run a separate program if I can do it in Emby

Your m3u list of 19k channels place the link http://whatever:80/get.php?username= link in your browser and download it, then open it as a txt. Delete all the channels you don't want/need and then save the file and place it in documents or some place on your puter. If you do this the other way manually removing 19k channels by unchecking each channel 😆 no no, avoid that lol. Then just upload as m3u in emby by adding your newly modded saved m3u.

Have you tried using the checkboxes in the live tv channel management screen to disable channels that you don't wish to use?

gillmacca01

Yes, but as I pointed out, with over 18000 channels to disable, this would take ages

Good Day,

I HAD the same issue with several providers over the years. I say several providers because at the time I was searching for a provider that I could rely on and would stay with them for some time. Longer story short, I have been with this provider for over 4 years now and I only had to eliminate the unneeded channels initially and then a second time for some refinement. I was using NP++ because it is fast and simple to use and didn't add any additional things to the file. I also found a desktop app with a GUI interface that made it even easier to edit. For instance, I could edit out tons of channels based on their grouping, language, etc. And yes, the original m3u file had well over 35,000 channels. Once I edited the file, and as long as you are using the same provider there is nothing more you need to do.

Hope this helps...cheers!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
casminkey
On 10/16/2023 at 1:26 PM, tech37 said:

For anyone coming across this thread in the future, I started a repo that has a couple scripts for disabling all or unmapped live TV channels: https://github.com/coulterpeterson/emby-bulk-actions

Any help to run this?  I'm not familiar with running python scripts and getting this error:

PS C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system> python disable_all_channels.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\disable_all_channels.py", line 26, in <module>
    get_channels_response = requests.get(SERVER_URL + "/emby/LiveTv/Manage/Channels", params=get_channels_query)
                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'

Running this from the server within the Emby install folder.

casminkey
23 minutes ago, casminkey said:

Any help to run this?  I'm not familiar with running python scripts and getting this error:

PS C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system> python disable_all_channels.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\disable_all_channels.py", line 26, in <module>
    get_channels_response = requests.get(SERVER_URL + "/emby/LiveTv/Manage/Channels", params=get_channels_query)
                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'

Running this from the server within the Emby install folder.

Disregard. It helps to read ALL of the instructions. 🤦‍♂️

Thank you for this!

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2022 at 18:46, Luke said:

Have you tried using the checkboxes in the live tv channel management screen to disable channels that you don't wish to use?

Would love a ‘select all’ option for this. 👍🏼

• Thanks 1