Emby Theater 318 Hangs

Ice
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Doesn't seem to want to play anything, it just hangs while trying to load videos, same settings as 317 which was working just fine, reverted back to 317 and it works again

• Thanks 1

AdamPhillips

I 'm having the same problem, loads the backdrop image, displays the OSD overlay, the spinning circle spins a few times then it just freezes. Doesn't respond to any controls, can't go back, have to kill emby theatre by windows key, right click on taskbar icon and close window or use the task manager.

AdamPhillips

Luke,

I have installed the build from your link above.

I tried a variety of files, it has fixed the problem for some but not all.

4K HEVC HDR10 with DTS-HDMA, EAC 5.1 and TRUEHD 7.1 all seem to work correctly.

1080p H264 with TRUEHD 7.1 and DTS 5.1 still display the backdrop, the OSD navigation controls and then hang.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdamPhillips said:

Luke,

I have installed the build from your link above.

I tried a variety of files, it has fixed the problem for some but not all.

4K HEVC HDR10 with DTS-HDMA, EAC 5.1 and TRUEHD 7.1 all seem to work correctly.

1080p H264 with TRUEHD 7.1 and DTS 5.1 still display the backdrop, the OSD navigation controls and then hang.

What renderer is enabled in the app's video settings? You may want to try gpu-next.

11 minutes ago, AdamPhillips said:

Is it just that single file or multiple? What do they have in common?

Do you have subtitles selected when playing?

Does it make a difference which audio track you are choosing?

Does it play with MPV directly?
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/release/ ==> mpv-0.35.0-x86_64.7z)

AdamPhillips

The 2 titles that will not play in Emby Theater are both single files, not using subtitles, the DTS 5.1 does not have any other audio tracks, the TRUEHD 7.1 title also has an AC3 5.1 audio track which also causes Emby Theater to hang.

I downloaded and installed MPV from your link above. Both of the problem titles play fine. 

13 minutes ago, AdamPhillips said:

The 2 titles that will not play in Emby Theater are both single files, not using subtitles, the DTS 5.1 does not have any other audio tracks, the TRUEHD 7.1 title also has an AC3 5.1 audio track which also causes Emby Theater to hang.

I downloaded and installed MPV from your link above. Both of the problem titles play fine. 

Thanks!

Could you try whether it also plays fine with gpu-next setting. It goes like this:

mpv.com --vo=gpu-next yourfile.mp4

AdamPhillips

Both of the problem files run fine using the command line you suggested.

I should mention they are both MKV files not MP4 as in your example.

AdamPhillips

I downloaded and extracted MPV_EMBY.ZIP and again both files played fine.

I just ran it from a test directory is that what you wanted, or was I supposed to replace files within the emby theater install?

5 minutes ago, AdamPhillips said:

I should mention they are both MKV files not MP4 as in your example.

No problem, doesn't matter.

Just now, AdamPhillips said:

I downloaded and extracted MPV_EMBY.ZIP and again both files played fine.

Okay, good.

1 minute ago, AdamPhillips said:

I just ran it from a test directory is that what you wanted, or was I supposed to replace files within the emby theater install?

That was just right. ET doesn't use the .exe anyway.

Last question: are you sure the server isn't transcoding (or trying to) in the non-working cases?

If yes, then, could you provide that file (privately, via PM)? I
Is it large?

AdamPhillips

As far as I know everything runs direct without any transcoding. Not sure how I can tell with the problem files since ET hangs without playing.

The files are 6.8GB and 7.6GB so I don't think it is practical to PM them to you.

Just chiming in to say that I'm having the same issue since yesterday. I haven't had time to dive in and troubleshoot which type of files it's getting stuck on, but it seems to happen with most files that I try to play. It should be playing all files direct, as I'm running ET on the same machine that runs my server.

• Solution

I've posted a new 3.0.19 release containing yesterday's fixes, but we'll still continue to look into this issue with you and then hopefully get another build out. Thanks.

On 09/12/2022 at 08:42, Luke said:

I've posted a new 3.0.19 release containing yesterday's fixes, but we'll still continue to look into this issue with you and then hopefully get another build out. Thanks.

Looks to be working properly so far with this latest update.... 🙂

• Thanks 1