Nvidia Shield TV Pro vs Roku

Patricksp

Patricksp

I want to upgrade my Roku and the Roku Ultra look like it doesn't do passthrough audio? and Nvidia does? I was just wondering what other opinions on this, I am using a Synology NAS and didn't know where else to post this

Thanks

I use Emby on Roku except when I need DTS-HD or TrueHD playback, then I switch over to a Shield.

For me, the Roku OS isn't trying to do or distract as much as Android/Shield and mostly stays out of the way. It's also much easier to use for the rest of the family.

RanmaCanada

Shield is the BEST for playback, period, until Nvidia releases a firmware that breaks everything, then it's not.  The other thing you have to take into consideration is does the other hardware you are hooking your device up to understand the codecs you are trying to passthrough.  For example, are you passing it through to an AVR, or are you just hooking it up to your TV?  Most older TV's can not passthrough DTS-HDMA or TrueHD nor will they decode it.  https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough and more info here https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2021-2022-edition.2389508/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Patricksp

Well My wife got me the Nvidia and WOW what a Difference especially and I mean the Sound, I am now hearing everything in either 5.1 or 7.1 on my Emby and Now Netflix, Amazon etc I hear them in 5.1. I thought I was gonna have to upgrade my equipment and spend thousands but just getting the Nvidia Tv Pro fixed it, it's also so much faster than the ROKU. 

Thanks for the Help 

justinrh

Glad to hear it is working nicely for you.

Curious - how do you know you are getting 5.1 or 7.1 audio?  Do you have a 7.1 system?

Patricksp

I have an old ANTHEM STATESMAN so when I play a Movie that's only in Stereo when I turn the volume it says Stereo and if it's in 5.1, it will say it. 7.1 will be Pro Logic Neo Nexus 6+ or something like that. I can also look at the receiver and see what the Encoding is DTS or THX etc  I also Downloaded a Sound test that does 5.1 and 7.1 

I never had any real issues with EMBY just any time I used a streaming service i would get it in Stereo no matter what sound settings I used Dolby, Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, nothing worked but the Emby.  I am so glad I go the NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO. 

• Like 2