SLOW Transcode with Subtitles and Constand Loading Ring

Dizzy49
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Dizzy49

I'm playing a 4k HDR10+ file with TrueHD audio.  I know the audio has to transcode, but if I put subtitles (which is needed for a movie like Avatar) then I get the loading ring constantly displaying, and it will pause and stutter.  When I look on the server I expect to see the transcoding info, but nothing is displayed.  I tried with 3 different files and it did the same with all 3.  If I set Subtitles to OFF, then it transcodes/plays just fine.

I was watching Avatar that has like 10 Subtitle options.  I was trying to find one that ONLY subtitles the Navi.  I selected SSPG (or something like that), and it was able to transcode and play normally.

I tried to reproduce on my new Fire Cube and I just got a black screen and it wouldn't play at all.

Anyone else encountered something similar?

With TrueHD, it's only transcoding the audio which is very quick.  When you add any graphical subtitles such as PGS, then you are now forcing the video to transcode and add the subs via the burn-in process.

Your best option is to use the subtitle download feature and download matching srt subtitles.  This will prevent the video from transcoding.

Otherwise, you need a decent GPU that is capable of transcoding 4K HDR10+ on the fly at a fast enough rate.  

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Unless your device can Direct Play PGS subtitles - then it is highly recommended to just use external SRT as SamEs says above.    Then it will still direct play and use subtitles just fine, you won't get the graphics style of the Navi - but it will work.

If your file has embedded SRT - then while that is technically ok - emby still has to extract the subtitles BEFORE it starts playback.  On a 100Gig file (4K remux as an extreme example) then emby has to read the entire thing - thus you get a delay (could have been your blank screen..), especially if the subs only start appearing mid movie for example.

Either pre-extract the SRT's yourself (the best chance of sync not being an issue) or get them externally - save as .SRT's in the same folder, same file name with a language specified in the filename.  ie  filename.en.srt   if you always want them showing (as for navi you would..)  - then add a .forced. as well - ie filename.en.forced.srt

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I am happy to report that the new version works beautifully!

No issues playing TrueHD and/or subtitles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1