Multiple requests in one (sorry)

MSI2017

An average spinning HD consumes around 5W. This makes 3.6 kWh/month. Depending on where you live, the cost will be between $0.40 (cheapest US) and $1.60 (EU).

How many HDs do you guys have?

sydlexius
3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

An average spinning HD consumes around 5W. This makes 3.6 kWh/month. Depending on where you live, the cost will be between $0.40 (cheapest US) and $1.60 (EU).

I've got 12 cans of spinning rust in my system, however Unraid does a good job of keeping the inactive drives spun down.  Coupled with this script, and spin-up doesn't seriously impact the user experience (yes, the script says Plex, but it works for any media streaming Docker container).

• Like 1

rbjtech
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

too many .. 😆

It's not just the outright cost though - it's the noise, heat they produce (thus + cost of cooling) and speed/controller issues which all contribute to the 'there must be a better way' discussion.

I keep my HDD's on 24x7 - my oldest (on my backup system, offline now, I don't keep that one on 24x7) is something like 9 years in continuous hours - start up's was less than 50 in that entire time lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It's not just the outright cost though - it's the noise, heat they produce (thus + cost of cooling)

Okay, when the heat of the HDs is an issue then you must really have a lot of them...

34 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I keep my HDD's on 24x7

If you are operating at such figures as I'm supposing now, then this is the (only) right way.

Power-down is for home users where devices are off for a large percentage of time, which compensates then for the thermal oscillation with regards to the total lifetime.

• Agree 1

MSI2017
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

In the emby world - this would actually make for an interesting plugin, which I have had thoughts about before myself - Storage Tiering - where you could actually copy/move the entire 'show' to SSD - it wouldn't work for films (unless you could predict what the user will watch next lol, but new releases should probably go on the faster Tier) but for in flight TV shows - you can reliably predict what the next episode will be.   So if you moved all the 'in progress' shows (in their entirety) to an SSD then you could in theory, power down the mechanical drives containing all the other shows ..   As a show finishes, it stays for x days and then gets moved back to slow storage to make way for new shows that are being watched..

I could not have said it better myself. This is exactly what I meant in my original post @Luke. Just the option to have a certain movie/show stay on the ssd persistent untill unchecked would make it perfect