Custom sort order for Genres and Tags

Vicpa

Hi,

Add ability to edit Metadata, primarily Sortname and Description to Genres and Tags. 

This is similar functionality to what was recently added to playlists. (great btw).

I particularly need a custom sort order for genres and tags. The fields are available just no UI access.

Thanks,

-vicpa

Edited by Vicpa
Clarify request

• 1 month later...
Vicpa

Hi @Luke

I realize that this is :

1) low visibility

2) low impact 

3) But maybe a low level of effort

Request ?

I changed a few genres sort names  in the DB (not really a viable option) and as shown below the standard ui  functions as expected.

1295379654_Screenshot2023-01-06105948.thumb.png.b03248f5fc1678fcfe9d69e01bcb3d05.png

I have like 60+ Tags that I need a sortname to group together.

I edited the request name to focus on needed functionality.

So whatever UI change, plugin (to edit only sortname) or DB script  works for me.

Thanks

-vicpa

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
user24
On 12/6/2022 at 1:42 AM, Vicpa said:

I particularly need a custom sort order for genres and tags

I would like this as well! I've been experimenting...

One way that could perhaps work is to use emojis as a prefix. This is much less intrusive to the main genre/tag name than using an alphanumeric sort name prefix. It is also very easy to distinguish the genre/tag group you are looking at. It seems to work with my quick test below:

emojitest.thumb.jpg.dd56b6cf651a1ed569196e5ea8a79b8d.jpg

The emoji items all appear before the standard alphanumeric items. I just used a simple color coded emoji scheme, but you could use any emojis you want to, just be aware that you may need to experiment to get your preferred sort group order.

I also tried creating and importing emoji music Genres and Tags(via ROONTRACKTAG) using MP3Tag and that works.

If this is a good option for you, you can likely batch change tags using MP3Tag or the Bulky plugin? (But you know this already!)

After I test this a bit more, I'm thinking of properly implementing it across my main music library.

Would this work for you?

• Thanks 1

user24

For anyone who may be interested, here's an updated view of testing out the emoji color coding idea. 

genreexampe2.thumb.jpg.74fddb220179afef5b7b7112b706f7b8.jpg

I still haven't used the silver, purple and brown emojis, or any round ones, so there is plenty of scope for many more sort groups using this system.

Also, for music, with MP3Tag Actions and Scripting Functions, it's possible to automatically create/change Genres and Tags for a large library, without needing to do it manually. My custom Create Decade Genre action group below was used to (relatively quickly) create the #Decade groups show above.

createdecadesscript.thumb.jpg.c453632bfaa85580165778f2708f0d31.jpg

The first eight lines add the decades to the Genre field and the last line removes duplicates, if the Genre already exists. 

Something else that would also be really useful for music tagging would be for Emby to implement importing ROONALBUMTAG tags.

I realize that there is already an open FR for this here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/106182-copying-tags-from-roon-to-emby/

Not only would this it be useful for Roon users, it would also be very useful for anyone else wanting to import embedded album only tags into Emby (as opposed to song/track tags with ROONTRACKTAG). If this had been available now, I may have used it instead of the Decade Genre approach above.

The Decade Genres though are working reasonably well for what I want, but that's another topic..!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1