Copying TAGs from Roon to Emby

amatala

Hi,

I would like to transfer my custom TAGs from Roon to Emby Server. In Roon I am using ROONALBUMTAG to store all my custom album TAGs and I would like to import those into the Emby database. Is there any similar TAG that Emby will read automatically and copy the TAGs to its own database? I currently have over 30K albums in my library and most of them have custom TAGs, transferring them manually would be a hell of a job, so I am looking for a way to automate the operation, considering the fact that all required info is already present in my file TAGs...

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi, we can add RoonAlbumTag and RoonTrackTag for the next release. Do these support multiple, and if so, how are they separated?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we can add RoonAlbumTag and RoonTrackTag for the next release. Do these support multiple, and if so, how are they separated?

Thanks for the response, that would be of great help to me :)
Yes, these TAGs support multiple values separated by
semicolon.
When the change will be implemented, I will be able to test it directly as these TAGs are already present in my files (a rescan will probably be needed in order to be taken into account).

Hi @Luke,

Can you add "Style" tags when you are working on the above?.  The format is the same multiple value separated by semicolon.  Will the Roon tags be mapped to emby tags? If so that would work for Style as well.

Thanks for supporting the OP request. I can add this as a feature request if you would prefer..

-Vicpa

Thanks for the quick reaction. I have tested the implementation of ROONTRACKTAG and it is working fine, the TAGs are properly recognized and I can browse the tracks by those values.

However, at this time I am not using this ROONTRACKTAG much, the most important one for me is ROONALBUMTAG because I am tagging full albums, so in Emby that would have to be mapped to album TAGs. When that will get implemented I will be able to perform more extensive tests as I am currently using ROONALBUMTAG for thousands of albums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
amatala

Hi,

Is there still any plan to have ROONALBUMTAG support in Emby? If not, can there be other similar TAG which would provide the same functionality?

I have no problem mass copying the contents of ROONALBUMTAG to another TAG if that would allow me to load all those custom albums TAGs into Emby.

Thanks!

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
user24
On 2/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we can add RoonAlbumTag and RoonTrackTag for the next release.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:05 AM, Luke said:

Hi, yes the album tags are still on the to do list. Thanks

On 3/28/2023 at 2:29 AM, Luke said:

Hi, yes it’s something we can look at supporting. Thanks.

Hi Emby Team - is RoonAlbumTag "still on the to do list" for any time soon, e.g. Emby 4.9?

From Luke's comments above, it seems to have decreased in priority from 'maybe likely' to 'perhaps possible'. 

RoonTrackTag works very well for importing embedded custom song tags, but the only way (that I know of) to add an equivalent (albeit non-embedded) custom album tag is within Emby itself. This makes major updates to a large music library more difficult and time-consuming because:

• MP3tag Actions and Scripting Functions (or similar) can't be used to greatly automate much of the process before importing;
  • there is a lot more backwards and forwards between Emby and MP3tag (or similar) to ensure all required new/updated tags are in place;
  • managing custom album tags and custom song tags across two systems may cause more errors and potential loss of metadata and content to occur.

Therefore, having RoonAlbumTag to complement RoonTrackTag would be really great!  Perhaps other music fans would support this as well?

Edited by user24

Hi, yes it's on the to do list. It shouldn't be too difficult given what is currently happening.

• Like 1