Noise hdd while using Emby

Super957

Super957

I have  on my NAS QNAP TS-451D2 ... 4 hdd 3,5": 2 WD red plus and 2 Toshiba Enterprise all 14TB each (all disk are compatibility with QNAP)

No problem with hdd in general,  but when some client see movies on my server, the hdd are constantly making a background noise because of the "work" they are doing.

This is normal or one of two models WD Rd Plus or .Toshiba Enterprise.. are noisy of them ??

Thank

Hispa

Hd.zip

Senza titolo.png

631936070_Senzatitolo.thumb.png.9026204c949a9a2454c810e513a7fd36.png

Edited by Super957

• 2 weeks later...
Super957
On 12/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, Luke said:

Hi, well there is going to be disk activity with those streams.

Ok thanks, I understand but I ask who on a NAS with 4 large capacity disks (My qnap has 4 bay with 4x14TB), while the emby server is active and various clients are connected, is it normal for the disks to make enough noise?

Thank

Hispa

Super957
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Le immagini vengono memorizzate nelle cartelle multimediali?

I think you're talking about the images created by Emby for each film? if so yes eg.. in folder Movie there are all movies and all files (movie, nfo etc..) created by Emby.

But I think this is so default or not?

Hispa

rbjtech

This is simply because mechanical HDD's are not well suited to writing 100/1000's of small 'streaming' type files - and the heads will 'chatter' as a result.

It is much better if you use an SSD as a cache (if the NAS has this capability..) - and point emby to use that as the 'temporary' area - then it should be silent apart from the initial seek and maybe image reading.

Another factor outside of direct emby control is the fragmentation / file distribution on the NAS - if the file is spread over multiple disks and is fragmented (ie some on the inner part of the disk platters, some on the outer edges of the platter - or on different platters if RAID etc then the head will need to seek - making noise.   If the file is contiguous (ie one, lump) then the heads do not need to move as much - thus it's silent.

Look at 'HDD Acoustic management'  for some more background - this isn't an emby problem per say - but it can be easily resolved using the above caching solutions.

Edited by rbjtech

• 2 weeks later...
Super957

I solved by changing HDD...

I had 2 WD Red Plus and 2 Toshiba MG07ACA, all 14 TB. I suspected they were the Toshiba even reading here and there on the web...

So replaced the 2 Toshiba with 2 more WD Red plus and noise gone 🙂

Hispa

Eigeplackter
On 12/17/2022 at 5:43 PM, rbjtech said:

It is much better if you use an SSD as a cache (if the NAS has this capability..) - and point emby to use that as the 'temporary' area - then it should be silent apart from the initial seek and maybe image reading.

Could you elaborate where to find this setting within emby server ? I'd be really interested as I got a 400GB SSD Cache in my Synology.

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, Eigeplackter said:

Could you elaborate where to find this setting within emby server ? I'd be really interested as I got a 400GB SSD Cache in my Synology.

image.thumb.png.dbb3f07c3b8942573aaeae3ebcdc4aec.png

• Thanks 2