HDR10 and Dolby Vision support Safari/Chrome MacOS

MSI2017

MSI2017

Hi all,

So I've been using the new XDR MacBook and have been enjoying HDR content througout the web. Unfortunately,  Emby doesn't seem to be able to trigger HDR playback on MacOS. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (both are supported by the OS) won't trigger. Any updates coming to add this? 

Thanks!

Hi, there is no function for web apps to trigger HDR. It happens automatically by the browser video player if it supports it. Just because a device supports HDR10 or DV doesn't mean the browser video player does.

Does Safari support it?

samuelqwe
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Does Safari support it?

It does, as both YouTube and Netflix do playback in HDR/Dolby Vision in the browser, but I suspect there are likely many limitations in what content can be played in HDR in the browser.

• Agree 1

MSI2017
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, there is no function for web apps to trigger HDR. It happens automatically by the browser video player if it supports it. Just because a device supports HDR10 or DV doesn't mean the browser video player does.

Does Safari support it?

Safari supports it, so does Chrome on MacOS. But I believe you have to trigger it a certain way. Many other sites correctly do

MSI2017
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Ok for starters I would make sure that you're direct playing an MP4. Is that what you're doing?

Yes correct

MSI2017
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok for starters I would make sure that you're direct playing an MP4. Is that what you're doing?

I was too quick. I checked if they were MP4 but it seems like both Safari and Chrome do not like (e)AC3 or DTS audio which means that is the reason it'll transcode and lose HDR. I have tried an AAC audio HDR10 file and that worked well. Problem is that even when it just has to transcode the audio it will also do the video (often going from hevc to h264 for some reason). 

An easy fix would be to just convert the audio and leave the video alone. Dolby Vision will still not trigger tho

• Thanks 1

samuelqwe
24 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

I checked if they were MP4 but it seems like both Safari and Chrome do not like (e)AC3 or DTS audio which means that is the reason it'll transcode and lose HDR.

Actually, Safari should be able to play Dolby Digital audio (AC3 and eAC3), at least according to Dolby.

https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/apple/macos/os-support/

I suspect Emby’s transcoding profile likely doesn’t take this into account or there is some other limitation that I don’t know about.

MSI2017
On 12/6/2022 at 6:08 PM, samuelqwe said:

Actually, Safari should be able to play Dolby Digital audio (AC3 and eAC3), at least according to Dolby.

https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/apple/macos/os-support/

I suspect Emby’s transcoding profile likely doesn’t take this into account or there is some other limitation that I don’t know about.

I am not quite sure why it does that. I've made a DV file with AAC and where it correctly played in DV for one file, the other still got transcoded, again messing with HDR. @LukeWould it be possible to let Emby just transcode the audio to AAC and leave the video alone? Would make testing a lot easier

samuelqwe
2 hours ago, MSI2017 said:

It could also be that it only accepts certain DV profiles?

I would think only Profile 5 DV works, and maybe some Profile 8 videos. If I recall correctly, Dolby Vision videos shot on directly on the iPhone are Profile 8, so I would expect those to work as well.

MSI2017
On 12/9/2022 at 11:23 PM, samuelqwe said:

I would think only Profile 5 DV works, and maybe some Profile 8 videos. If I recall correctly, Dolby Vision videos shot on directly on the iPhone are Profile 8, so I would expect those to work as well.

I've checked but unless I put the file through subler it will still transcode at times. Will test a bit further today. I don't mind doing this to all my files to get DV working but keeping AC3 would be great for devices that do support it

samuelqwe
52 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

I've checked but unless I put the file through subler it will still transcode at times. Will test a bit further today. I don't mind doing this to all my files to get DV working but keeping AC3 would be great for devices that do support it

Sorry for the confusion, I’m just saying what the browser should be able to support in general.

Emby‘s transcoding profile just doesn’t seem to allow those files to be played directly, so Emby will require an update that changes its transcoding behaviour before it could potentially work.

In theory, Safari should be able to playback the same files as QuickTime though. So if it already doesn’t work there, then it for sure won’t work in the browser.

Edited by samuelqwe

MSI2017

@Luke I have some issues figuring out why exactly the server is deciding to transcode. I have used Subler on Mac to make two files which are Dolby Vision playable on the Mac. But unfortunately for one it works well via Emby, the other once gets transcoded. Both files do get recognized and played as DV on my LG OLED. Both files also play correctly playing locally via QuickTime. I've added some screenshots

File one, this one works correctly. Both the TV and the MacBook recognise it as Dolby Vision (it is a single file, so no HDR10 to fall back to)

504516307_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_22_32.thumb.png.4339aef613b59f9d3f777df0d97322ba.png279191608_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_26_32.png.8a38189fd15d287c74f980ddc0663f02.png

The second file, this one works fine locally via QuickTime, and on the LG. But using Chrome and/or safari it stars transcoding

2110602505_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_22_41.png.9cd5f7c73865772e56d45ea3b12cf309.png

657425199_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_28_08.png.58ac14b25992bc6801c93474a2c67506.png

MSI2017
On 12/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, MSI2017 said:

@Luke I have some issues figuring out why exactly the server is deciding to transcode. I have used Subler on Mac to make two files which are Dolby Vision playable on the Mac. But unfortunately for one it works well via Emby, the other once gets transcoded. Both files do get recognized and played as DV on my LG OLED. Both files also play correctly playing locally via QuickTime. I've added some screenshots

File one, this one works correctly. Both the TV and the MacBook recognise it as Dolby Vision (it is a single file, so no HDR10 to fall back to)

504516307_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_22_32.thumb.png.4339aef613b59f9d3f777df0d97322ba.png279191608_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_26_32.png.8a38189fd15d287c74f980ddc0663f02.png

The second file, this one works fine locally via QuickTime, and on the LG. But using Chrome and/or safari it stars transcoding

2110602505_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_22_41.png.9cd5f7c73865772e56d45ea3b12cf309.png

657425199_Screenshot2022-12-14at16_28_08.png.58ac14b25992bc6801c93474a2c67506.png

@Luke or @softworkz any idea? Seems like an Emby bug to decide to transcode

On 12/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, MSI2017 said:

@Luke or @softworkz any idea? Seems like an Emby bug to decide to transcode

Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Yes, it gave no further explantion compared to what the dashboard showed. But I have made some interesting progress on this. 

The file playing back correctly was a Dolby Vision profile 8 file, which has HDR10 data to fall back to. Unfortunately, Apple being Apple there is no way to verify but it seems like Apple devices always fall back to HDR10 when playing profile 8. 

The other file not working is profile 5 which does work correctly when downloading the file and playing it with quicktime. I have played a DV profile 5 stream from the Dolby Dev website and can confirm that browser playback for DV works.

Something else regarding the profile 8 file. When playing back on my phone locally (so having the file on device and playing with VLC for examle) the phone displays the video correctly in HDR10 as it does not support Dolby Vision, however, when streaming that file via Emby it does not fall back but shows the wonky purple and green image you see when playing a DV file on a non -DV device.

Long message but imo interesing findings?

• 4 weeks later...
MSI2017
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

HDR10 is fixed as long as it is an MP4 with AAC audio. Otherwise it starts transcoding and tonemapping. DolbyVision is still not working unfortunately

MSI2017
On 1/10/2023 at 7:48 PM, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Can I share some logs which are sortof related?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
MrPaulo

Hi,

I have the same issue on mac m1. The mac emby app (v 2.1.9) does not trigger transcode but the video has the wrong colours when playing dolby hdr files.

Playing on safari or chrome triggers transcode - not interested to use these.

Emby is spotless when it plays these fine on nvidia on a LG 2022 4k tv.

If you have a beta version you want to test on an m1 mac please let me me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 3:24 PM, MrPaulo said:

Hi,

I have the same issue on mac m1. The mac emby app (v 2.1.9) does not trigger transcode but the video has the wrong colours when playing dolby hdr files.

Playing on safari or chrome triggers transcode - not interested to use these.

Emby is spotless when it plays these fine on nvidia on a LG 2022 4k tv.

If you have a beta version you want to test on an m1 mac please let me me know.

Hi, we are working on improving this. Thanks for reporting.