Video replay size on hi resolution display

stwarr

There seems to be something funky with the sizing of the video replay window on displays that have a high resolution. I've attached an image of a 1080i video displaying on a 3440x1440 pixel monitor, and there is a large black border all around the image. I can change the aspect ratio setting to 'fill' or 'cover' to remove the borders, but then I get a distorted or cropped image. Something similar happens for me with a 4k display mode, although the bordering is less excessive than with the wide screen monitor. The borders aren't present if I lower the PC display resolution to 1920x1080.

In the screenshots, I'm running the latest Emby for Windows app, and Windows x64 server, although my synology server exhibits the same problem.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 183601.png

Screenshot 2022-12-03 161108.png

Edited by stwarr

generiq

The border is due to the video not actually being 16:9 (1920 x 1080). It has padding at the top and bottom. Your monitor aspect ratio is 2.38:1, which is probably closer to what the video actually is. A few things I would suggest, re-encode the video and remove the padding, also, in the video settings choose to use gpu-next for video output.

Of course that is it!! I was tracking down multiple playback issues, and managed to have a total brain burp on that one.

However it was linked to a real problem I encountered with the windows app - when changing PC display resolutions, the full screen toggle icon sometimes just seems to not show up in the playback controls. This problem seems to persist across restarts of the app. Seems you have to mess around with resizing the window and trying playback of different files before it reappears.

Edited by stwarr

No, I think my problem is a little different - in my case, the ‘full screen’ toggle, the split square as the rightmost icon above the playback timeline, does not appear. I’ll grab a screenshot of this tomorrow.

Edited by stwarr

On 12/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, stwarr said:

No, I think my problem is a little different - in my case, the ‘full screen’ toggle, the split square as the rightmost icon above the playback timeline, does not appear. I’ll grab a screenshot of this tomorrow.

Hi, that would be great, thanks !

Two screenshots attached, the first showing the full-screen toggle, the second showing it missing. I restarted Emby for Windows (3.0.18) and resumed playback for the second:

pic1.png

pic2.png