Emby for Samsung - no audio output from AAC stream

stwarr

In the UK, HD HomeRun recordings of FreeView transmissions result in .ts containers with embedded h264 and aac_latm video/audio streams resp. I have a lot of these files.

Issue #1 : I have just setup a new 2022 Samsung Neo qled TV (model: QE65QN95BATXXU, vers: 1304.1) with the latest Emby for Samsung app (v1.4.8). I'm running Emby server v4.8.0.19 on a Synology x64. No matter what I try, I cannot get the TV app to produce sound when I play these type of files. No sound is produced whether I use the TV in-built speaker, an optical output, or an HDMI eARC output.

If I play the same file on a PC connected to the same TV, through my AV receiver, then all is well. A screenshot is attached showing the 2 streams simultaneously.

Issue #2 If I play a bluray rip that has an HD-DTS audio stream, then the server transcodes the stream to the Emby for Samsung app as AC3, and I hear audio. In reality, I want to be able to passthrough the bitstream format to my AV receiver, but the Emby app does not seem to support this feature.

Please help.

consus.PNG

Edited by stwarr
update screenshot

I browsed the Emby server files directly from the TV via the DNLA server feature rather than a USB stick, but yes, I get audio ok with this method. 

BTW - I started an Emby stream on the TV (no audio), stopped, then tried the same stream on my iPhone and got a ‘no compatible streams’ error from the server. On second attempt on the iPhone, everything was fine. Definitely seems like something is up with this latest server version.

Edited by stwarr

Plot thickens slightly - the same Emby for Samsung app works fine on an older UE55KS8000 model, but on the newer model, it not only doesn’t produce audio, but also seems to put the TV audio output into some bad state that means other sources don’t produce audio without messing about / resetting the TV audio settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay here - I've posted 2 short clips recorded from UK Freeview transmissions - the 1st is an HD channel, the 2nd an SD channel. Both clips play fine on an older UE55KS8000 model, but only the SD clip works properly on the 2022 QLED NEO QN95B model, whereas the HD clip produces no sound. Just for completeness, live TV exhibits the same behaviour. @SamES

Jumanji (1995).ts Deck the Halls (2005).ts

• 3 weeks later...
SamES

Sorry, I had responded to this, but must have gotten distracted and never saved my response!

Both files play fine on my 2017 TV, and I can't see any reason why they should give you an issue.  Can you please try Jumanji on a USB drive using the TV's internal player (instead of via DLNA).  This will confirm whether the file really is supported on the TV or not.

On 04/12/2022 at 05:13, stwarr said:

Issue #2 If I play a bluray rip that has an HD-DTS audio stream, then the server transcodes the stream to the Emby for Samsung app as AC3, and I hear audio. In reality, I want to be able to passthrough the bitstream format to my AV receiver, but the Emby app does not seem to support this feature.

Correct, since 2018 Samsung no longer supports DTS, so it's not anything we can resolve in the app - it's actually a Samsung limitation (and LG)

Edited by SamES

• 1 month later...

Apologies on the very late response here (didn't seem to get the usual email notification). Some additional information:

Samsung has updated its firmware for the QN95B/2022 models which has helped with various minor audio glitches that I was seeing generally with things like the Tizen BBC iplayer application. I have also updated the emby client to 1.5.1 (server version 4.8.0.21). What I can say definitively is:

1. browsing directly from the TV to my HD Homerun Connect Quatro device, I am able to stream all UK freeview channels, and both HD and SD content work correctly;
  2. browsing a USB stick connected to the TV, I am able to play all .ts recordings (created by emby server), and both HD and SD content work correctly;
  3. via the emby for Samsung application, streaming SD live channels works correctly, but HD channels produce no audio;
  4. via the emby for Samsung application, playing SD .ts files works correctly, but HD .ts play without audio;
  5. on an older 2016 Samsung TV model, HD playback works fine;
  6. in all scenarios, emby stats reports that it is using direct play.

Everything seems to point towards there being some problem with how the emby client is establishing the audio playback stream for the AAC/LATM audio playback that manifests only on the newer Neo TV models, and not on older models. How to progress from here?

Edited by stwarr

Thanks for the investigation, although that's odd because we don't really "establish audio". We just feed the entire video to the Samsung video player.

BadBishop

I'm having the same issue as Stwarr. HD channels (ATSC 3) using  HD Homerun tuner, AC4 audio produces no sound on both of my newer Samsung QN85B  Neo QLED and Q90T models.

Browsing a USB stick connected directly to the TV, I'm able to play all HD content with AC4 audio. When using the Emby app on my Samsung TV to play HD content with AC4 audio produces no audio. Emby stats report 1080P HEVC and AC4 5.1 audio with direct play. 

I'm using Emby client 1.51 and server version 4.8.0.21. I. Older Emby client 1.4.8 doesn't work either.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 4:42 PM, BadBishop said:

I'm having the same issue as Stwarr. HD channels (ATSC 3) using  HD Homerun tuner, AC4 audio produces no sound on both of my newer Samsung QN85B  Neo QLED and Q90T models.

Browsing a USB stick connected directly to the TV, I'm able to play all HD content with AC4 audio. When using the Emby app on my Samsung TV to play HD content with AC4 audio produces no audio. Emby stats report 1080P HEVC and AC4 5.1 audio with direct play. 

I'm using Emby client 1.51 and server version 4.8.0.21. I. Older Emby client 1.4.8 doesn't work either.  

@BadBishop can we please look at an example?

Thanks !