LG TV G1

ajeansnz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ajeansnz

Hi there,

I have an Emby server in-home, Emby client on the LG TV G1, the LG connected via eARC to an Integra DRX 5.4 home theatre amp.  The LG is set to Passthrough audio to the Integra to handle.  However Emby insists on reencoding all audio, DTS, Dolby TrueHD ... everything.  As much as the TV will passthrough, I can not get Emby to DirectPlay the audio (the video is DirectPlay-ing, whilst the audio is re-encoded).

Am I missing something here ?  Or ideally can I override Emby server's automatic checks to force it to DirectPlay the audio ?

Best Regards

Allister 

Hi, sorry but LG TV's do not support passthrough of DTS, and then even for TrueHD, while the TV's might support that, it seems they're not making it available for all third party developers to utilize.

To test this you can try temporarily restricting access to transcoding for your emby user. This will force the LG app to direct play. I can pretty much guarantee you'll either get no sound or a failure.

ajeansnz

Thanks for your fast response Luke - much appreciated.  I tried as you suggest and of course you are 100% correct - no audio passed through at all from what I can see on the Integra input info.  So 'Passthrough' is not really 'Passthrough' with these vendors.  I also notice frustratingly that AppleTV forces re-encoding everything into Dolby.  I have been told an Nvidia Shield is the best way to passthrough original content - is this correct ? 

• Solution
57 minutes ago, ajeansnz said:

Thanks for your fast response Luke - much appreciated.  I tried as you suggest and of course you are 100% correct - no audio passed through at all from what I can see on the Integra input info.  So 'Passthrough' is not really 'Passthrough' with these vendors.  I also notice frustratingly that AppleTV forces re-encoding everything into Dolby.  I have been told an Nvidia Shield is the best way to passthrough original content - is this correct ? 

Yes that is correct.

ajeansnz

Luke - promise I won't pester you on this any longer but will appreciate your thought. 

The Nvidia Shield Pro vs the Nvidia Shield - for Emby as a client will the latter be fine? 

Seems they run the same processor and other than RAM and Storage an identical spec.  I don't care about the cost difference, just that the standard shield is much more compact and can be hidden.

I am guessing the Emby client is efficient, but I haven't worked with Android.

Again - will appreciate your nod on what the client needs to pump.

rbjtech
On 30/11/2022 at 23:59, ajeansnz said:

Luke - promise I won't pester you on this any longer but will appreciate your thought. 

The Nvidia Shield Pro vs the Nvidia Shield - for Emby as a client will the latter be fine? 

Seems they run the same processor and other than RAM and Storage an identical spec.  I don't care about the cost difference, just that the standard shield is much more compact and can be hidden.

I am guessing the Emby client is efficient, but I haven't worked with Android.

Again - will appreciate your nod on what the client needs to pump.

100% Pro version - it has a 64bit OS vs the tube being 32bit - with high bitrate files, the Pro is far superior - but do keep in mind a new Shield is highly likely to be release next year... 

Edited by rbjtech

ajeansnz
34 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

100% Pro version - it has a 64bit OS vs the tube being 32bit - with high bitrate files, the Pro is far superior - but do keep in mind a new Shield is highly likely to be release next year... 

Thanks for differentiation - and yes there is high bitrate content so Pro it will have to be.  Thanks for feedback team - nice to have a responsive forum !  Much appreciated.