Unable to connect remotely following IP address change

King_Col_Bundy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

forzaitalia93
On 12/13/2022 at 3:39 AM, King_Col_Bundy said:

Just want to let you all know that this is fixed. Thank you @Luke @cayars @Happy2Playfor your help. 

I managed to fix it when playing around with a few things yesterday. I turned the VPN off on my NAS, which changed the remote access IP. I then changed the port on emby to a different number. It was a pretty easy fix, but I had no idea you could change the port for emby. 

Ciao mi puoi dire come hai risolto di preciso ? Ho il tuo stesso problema ma però io non ho la vpn

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 7:05 AM, forzaitalia93 said:

Ciao mi puoi dire come hai risolto di preciso ? Ho il tuo stesso problema ma però io non ho la vpn

@forzaitalia93 I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

• 11 months later...
King_Col_Bundy

Hi all,

I have recently moved house after a few months of not having my NAS up and running. Now I am experiencing a similar issue after reconnecting my Synology NAS (to a new network/router) and I am unable to access the server outside of my home network.

It is not the same issue that I was experiencing as I have tried with a VPN on and off, and tried changing the port as well.

The port forwarding on my router seems to be fine and has populated the below automatically:
image.thumb.png.e0d98587d4592008700e466fd62eeadc.png

If anyone has some ideas that would be great.

8 minutes ago, King_Col_Bundy said:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi there, what exactly happens when you try to connect?

Did you go through all of the same questions again that were asked the first time around?

King_Col_Bundy
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what exactly happens when you try to connect?

Did you go through all of the same questions again that were asked the first time around?

Hey Luke, it just loads for a while and the error message says Unable to Reach Server.

I have gone through the questions and solution I had last time. I couldn't see anything in the port forwarding on my router that would cause an issue because it seemed to be enabled.

Edit: I should mention that running local on my WiFi network is perfect.

Edited by King_Col_Bundy

King_Col_Bundy

I have started a Plex server just to try and see if I would encounter the same problem. I was able to fix this by manually specifying public port in the Plex settings and now it works fine. I looked into the router port forwarding settings and it looks the same as the Emby ports:
image.thumb.png.12a4aaef9c0b1879bbe6997c89de499a.png

1 hour ago, King_Col_Bundy said:

I have started a Plex server just to try and see if I would encounter the same problem. I was able to fix this by manually specifying public port in the Plex settings and now it works fine. I looked into the router port forwarding settings and it looks the same as the Emby ports:
image.thumb.png.12a4aaef9c0b1879bbe6997c89de499a.png

You could try having Emby use that same public port. But the fact that it works with Plex doesn't prove anything because they have a relay feature that kicks in automatically when a direct connection from device to server is not possible. This relay feature will route all communications through their own cloud servers and as far as I know, can't be turned off.

King_Col_Bundy

Just tried using the same public port and unfortunately still doesn't work :(

• Solution

Have you checked to see if your ISP is using a CGNat?

King_Col_Bundy
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Have you checked to see if your ISP is using a CGNat?

That was it - I called my ISP and got them to give me a static IP, now it works just fine :)

• Thanks 1