emby transcoding folder fills disk from time to time

dmshimself

jaycedk

Im using this script running in cron job, to clean it out.

#!/bin/bash
find /path/to/your/dir/transcoding-temp/* -mtime +1 -delete

This command will delete all files in the specified directory and its subdirectories that were modified more than 1 day ago.

Please note that this command is irreversible and will permanently delete the files.

• Thanks 1

DamnedUndies
1 minute ago, jaycedk said:

#!/bin/bash

This command will delete all files in the specified directory and its subdirectories that were modified more than 1 day ago.

Please note that this command is irreversible and will permanently delete the files.

Thanks @jaycedk- this sounds like a temporary solution/workaround until the real issue is resolved in Emby server

Just ran into this as well, running Emby in a Proxmox LXC, transcoding filled my disk, I'm going to increase the disk size significantly in the meantime.

On 11/24/2023 at 11:35 AM, jaycedk said:

#!/bin/bash

I believe there are more than just one transcoding issue that fills up our drives...  This solution would fix one of them (random transcoding files that just seem to remain forever)...  Thank you!

But the one that most often kills my system, at least, is one where you exit live TV (in my case, usually on a Roku app) and yet the transcoding file just continues to grow indefinitely.

Perhaps changing -mtime to -ctime may solve both problems?

• 3 weeks later...
DamnedUndies

Hi @Luke

I just noticed the following:

If I power-off my TCL Roku TV while viewing Live TV, the transcoding-temp directory keeps a .ts file open that slowly grows over time until it eventually fills the disk.

However, if I exit out of the Emby app of my TCL Roku TV while viewing Live TV, it gracefully exits and removes the .ts file as expected.

Seems there must be a way for the server to detect this condition (when the device is powered-off) and subsequently clean up the transcoding-temp area?

19 minutes ago, DamnedUndies said:

Hi @Luke

If I power-off my TCL Roku TV while viewing Live TV, the transcoding-temp directory keeps a .ts file open that slowly grows over time until it eventually fills the disk.

However, if I exit out of the Emby app of my TCL Roku TV while viewing Live TV, it gracefully exits and removes the .ts file as expected.

Seems there must be a way for the server to detect this condition (when the device is powered-off) and subsequently clean up the transcoding-temp area?

We’ll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

13 hours ago, DamnedUndies said:

Hi @Luke

This issue has apparently been tough for them to figure out...  It was first reported at least back in July 20, 2019:

As I reported some time ago, in this error case it also doesn't seem to matter if "Are you still watching?" prompt is enabled or not.  The growing of the .ts file never stops until the drive is filled.

And, as I also reported sometime back a year or two ago, I also noticed that often the .ts file will grow and grow, but Emby's dashboard will indicate that there is no user activity at all -- But I don't know it's related to the same issue or not.

Basically, transcoding drive space issues have been an ongoing problem for a very long time now....

The only real "fix" is to throw as much space at the transcoding drive as you can.  And the cronjob listed earlier in this thread, at least for those with linux type systems, so far seems to help as well.

Edited by UCM_1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
sfraga2003

Boa noite!
Esse problema persiste até hoje. Fico imaginando você ter 90 clientes assistindo TV o tamanho HD será necessário.
Hoje tenho 5-6 clientes simultâneos e o meu HD de 60GB vai pro espaço em questão de horas.
Você pode arrumar uma solução para este problema

Edited by sfraga2003

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, sfraga2003 said:

Good night!
This problem persists to this day. I'm imagining you have 90 customers watching TV, the HD size will be required.
Today I have 5-6 simultaneous clients and my 60GB hard drive goes into space in a matter of hours.
Can you come up with a solution to this problem

Emby already does clean up as need but yes each transcode will fight for the available space and deleted segments as need.

Or are you saying you still have abandoned transcodes within the folder?  

sfraga2003

Eu aumentei para 85gb o servidor e vou acompanhar se nao vai encher novamente.
Te informo futuramente.

• Thanks 1