Emby recognizes movies as tvshows on recording via tv guide

taker1988
Go to solution Solved by taker1988,

taker1988

Hello,

today i updated Emby to v4.7.10.0 on my Synology DS720+ NAS. I was playing around with some recordings and recognized, that Emby is recording just fine, but it also handles a recorded movie as a tvshow now?

I checked the settings, checked the paths...all seems to be fine, but it doesn´t work, like i want to.

It also created a new library which was called "Recordings". But i putted in the optional paths for tvshows and movies, that Emby can separate the tvshows and movies.

Now all recordings are stored in Emby in the library "Recordings", movies and tvshows as tvshows. As i said i putted in the two optional paths...so even the files should be in those separated folders, but they don´t. They are all in my optional tvshow path now.

Someone got an idea what I am doing wrong?

Best regards

Screenshot 2022-11-29 160850.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 163736.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 163807.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 163838.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 163911.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 163924.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 163938.jpg

embyserver.txt

Screenshot 2022-11-29 165135.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 165631.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 165647.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-29 165658.jpg

Edited by taker1988

taker1988

Hi,

I am using easyEPG in Docker on my Synology DS720+. (old version: DeBaschdi/docker.easyepg: A docker container for running easyepg with built-in cronjob (github.com)) and here is the version I am using now: [docker] NEW easyepg - Netzwerk - Kodinerds.net - Deutschsprachiges Forum zum Kodi Entertainment Center

I never had the problem before. It showed up, as I updated Emby to 4.7.10.0

It's probably something in the data. Who knows, they're probably assigning series id's or something along those lines. Can you provide sample xml? 

taker1988

Sure. I attached it.

Btw: Neuer Emby Server Version 4.7.10.0 ist sehr fehlerhaft - Emby in Kodi - Kodinerds.net - Deutschsprachiges Forum zum Kodi Entertainment Center <-- Maybe some bugs with that Emby version we talk about. It´s in the german kodinerds forum.

epg.xml

Edited by taker1988

Hi.  I tried looking at your epg data but "Werner" has about 1000 hits as a director's name and I couldn't find any reference to the exact show you had in your images.  So I couldn't find the specific entry but it has to be that the data is defining those as series by providing a series ID or episode number.

21 hours ago, taker1988 said:

@Luke any news? 😕

Are you sure this is the right xml that corresponds to your screenshot? Your screenshot shows Werner - Gekotzt,  but there's no trace of Gekotzt in this xml file.

taker1988

Hmm, okey...here is another one. As you can see on those two pictures, Stargate is tagged as a TVShow and Triple X also. (If you look at the "Serie aufnehmen" - Button)

Screenshot 2022-12-04 085842.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-04 085903.jpg

epg.xml

Here is your answer, it's in the xml:

<programme start="20221204071500 +0000" stop="20221204080000 +0000" channel="112620">
	<icon src="https://ondemo.tmsimg.com/assets/p184337_b_h10_al.jpg?w=960&amp;h=540"></icon>
	<title lang="de">Stargate</title>
	<sub-title lang="de">Die Tok'ra</sub-title>
	<desc lang="de">1998 ● S2 E12 ● FSK: 12
Sam hat einen ungewöhnlichen Traum, in dem sie durch die Augen von Jolinar sieht, der kurz vor seinem Tod ihren Körper besetzt hatte. Dadurch hat Sam Informationen erhalten, die den Menschen bisher verborgen blieben und die SG 1 jetzt helfen, um mit den kontaktscheuen Tok'ra Kontakt aufzunehmen. Sam begleitet das Team auf seiner wichtigen Mission, obwohl ihr krebskranker Vater bereits im Sterben liegt.

Actor(s):

Richard Dean Anderson
Michael Shanks
Amanda Tapping</desc>
	<credits>
		<actor>Richard Dean Anderson</actor>
		<actor>Michael Shanks</actor>
		<actor>Amanda Tapping</actor>
	</credits>
	<date>1998</date>
	<category lang="en">Science fiction / Fantasy / Horror</category>
	<category lang="en">Adventure / Western / War</category>
	<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">1 . 11 . </episode-num>
	<rating system="FSK">
		<value>12</value>
	</rating>
</programme>

taker1988

Sorry @Luke but I don´t understand? :D

If you mean, that this is a thshow, than yes. But My movies (in my example Triple X) are also recognized as a thshow and not as a movie.

Right, sorry, needed to refresh  my memory on how we handle xml tv.

Unfortunately there's no way to know if something is a movie or episode of a series, so that's why we treat almost everything like a series and then if you record the series, it will record all airings of the movie.

The only exceptions are if it has a category of movie in the xml, or any other categories you may have configured for this on the xml tv setup screen.

You're probably going to say can't we detect it as a movie if there are no season and episode numbers, and the answer to that is no because this information is often missing from xml guide data and sometimes there are episodes without numbers anyway (specials).

And I think if you look at the xml, you can see what I mean. Compare those two and let me know how you think we should determine something is a movie.

We can definitely determine that something is part of a series, but when it's not, there's no way to know if that's because it's a movie or if the series information is just missing from the xml.

taker1988

Ok, i got it. But...maybe you could make a Dropdown menu? So, if i click on TVguide and than on a movie or a tvshow...whatever...then the popup shows the infos about the tvshow/movie and i got the buttons with "play", "record" and "record series" (i guess, cause i got it in german).

you could add there a button which allows us users to "tag" it as a tvshow or as a movie. could this solve the problem?!

anyway...if i take a look inside the xml...there are the runtimes of each show/movie.

<programme start="20221204071500 +0000" stop="20221204080000 +0000" channel="112620">

you see the start and stop time? this should be the runtime. maybe you could tag a show/movie as a tvshow if the runtime is about an hour. and if the runtime is longer than an hour, it "must" be a movie and so you could tag it as a movie.

i hope you understand what i am trying to say. ^^

//edit: i wanna say it again. i only got that problem since version 4.7.10.0. as i used the version before there was no problem. a recorded movie was saved in my movie-record-folder and a tvshow was recorded to my tvshow-record-folder. 

I talked also with the coder from easyEPG. He said, that he hasn´t changed something in that time, i updated Emby. So i guess that it MUST be a problem with de Embyversion.

Edited by taker1988

you could add there a button which allows us users to "tag" it as a tvshow or as a movie. could this solve the problem?!

I don't see this as a solution because I don't think many are going to want to manually tag guide programs individually, considering how large guide data tends to be, and how much it changes on a regular basis.

So i guess that it MUST be a problem with de Embyversion.

Sure, it might be due to changes, but it's not due to a problem because of the reasons I outlined above. There is simply no way for any software reading that xml to know if Triple X is a movie or episode. I'm sure we made a change at some point so that users could still record series in this situation, but it's not a bug, it's just handling the data in the best way that we can.

I think the best solution would be to create an option on the xml setup screen to control this, so that when Emby Server can't determine if something is an episode or movie, then you can decide how it gets handled. But of course, that's going to create the opposite problem which is some episodes being treated like a movie.

taker1988

Hmm, okey I understand. But I am not sure, if you maybe got me wrong. Have a look at my attachement. 

This means, if you don´t tag ONLY that one tvshow/movie, than there is no change. It will record it, like emby recognizes it.

BUT if you tag it like a tvshow (whatever if its really a tvshow or a movie) it will be saved to the tvshow folder. and if you tag it as a movie, whatever if its a tshow or a movie, it will be saved to the movie folder.

You think this is a bad idea?

Screenshot 2022-12-05 224158.jpg

OK yes in theory that's possible if you're only doing that on recordings, but I would still consider that less desirable than more options to control the interpretation of the data because that will apply in more places.

taker1988

Hey, sorry I dont understand your answer. My english is not the best. :D Could you explain it in easier words?

Thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
taker1988

I removed the two extra paths for splitting the recordings to movies and series. So I am using only one path for both now. I created a new Library with "mixed content" and now the server seperated by itself a tvshow to tvshow and a movie as a movie. Scrapping is working also now.

• Thanks 1

dRuEFFECT
On 12/5/2022 at 5:02 PM, Luke said:

OK yes in theory that's possible if you're only doing that on recordings, but I would still consider that less desirable than more options to control the interpretation of the data because that will apply in more places.

having the option to manually select which category/folder it goes to would solve many issues i have with recordings. Ideally for me I'd like to specify different custom recording paths for News, Talk Shows, Series, Movies, Sports, and Wrestling, so being able to add in custom slots to the Advanced section of Live TV (shown below) would be perfect. I have separate (non-dvr) media libraries for each of those categories I mentioned, and I want to be able add the dvr recordings folder to each of these libraries separately. I don't care that I'd have to manually change the recording category (as in the mockup taker showed previously), 99% of recordings will be set at "Record Series" so I'd only need to set it up once per show. This is the one and only thing I liked better about how Plex handles recordings, and just wish I could do the same here. Please consider adding this?

image.png.7c2fee38c95049d037124890adeb9ee7.png

Edited by dRuEFFECT
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1