Premiere device limit exceeded.

Henv
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Hi,

What is needed to clear this error ?

Premiere device limit exceeded. Please contact your Emby system administrator or purchase the app unlock from the user menu on the home screen

It's Emby installed on a TV and Emby was installed from the Google Play store.

TIA

GrimReaper

Is that your server you're connecting to or someone else's? Standard Premiere subscription carries 25 device limit - how many devices using Premiere features you have? 

• Solution
GrimReaper

Then server admin/owner needs to subscribe to higher-tier Premiere license (45 or 75 devices limit) or you need to unlock your TV app (one-off purchase) so your device will not count against device limit - note that unlocking your app only enables full playback, for LiveTV features extended Premiere is required. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Agree 1

• 10 months later...
scott46953

How long has this device limit been a thing on Emby?

I do not remember seeing any limits when I signed up and paid for my unlimited account.

However, tonight I hit a the limit but only a couple of connections active....

so i started deleting all my test accounts and accounts that are over 1 year old... 

I work at a tv repair shop and I use Emby to test TV's that i fix instead of screwing on a coax cable.

So every TV I ever tested for less then an hour all count towards this device limit>??

So then i notice I should start deleting the devices from the device menu, but then I remember reading a few moments ago,,, I have a 25 device limit???

I thought I paid for unlimited lifetime>? 

So I look at device menu  and it says I have almost 250 devices???

Not only has it counted every time I logged into Emby using every computer I ever sat down at, but every device I have used since day one... 

Some devices are so old there is not even a date of age on them???

Then I get to thinking,,, shouldn't I be grandfathered in to my unlimited account from when I signed up or did i just miss the connection limit?

how do I go from being close to limit the other day when I noticed the limit to Over the Limit the next night when I have not done anything deferent?

But how do i have 250 devices if there is a 25 limit?  Did my account get stuck over the limit before the limited was inserted?

or did i just never notice the limits the whole time?

So i look for a delete all devices or a delete all selected devices button,,,, none of those are on the screen... so i have to manually delete all 250 devices for it to reset?

or do i have to ask someone to reset the limit?

then i look at upgrading to an unlimited device plan, since that is what I thought I purchased in the beginning and i do not see one?
I do not want limits, i want unlocked full customer lifetime.  I do not want the hassle of returning to make payments or to worry about minutes on my cell phone.

Thats why I am pre-paid.  Sorry in advance, sorry if i missed something or miss understood in the beginning.

how do i get this fixed?

UPDATE:  I just pulled my payment receipt. It does not state any connections or device limits???

Edited by scott46953

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

How long has this device limit been a thing on Emby?

Soon to be 5 years for 25 devices limit, was 15 before that. 

16 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

So every TV I ever tested for less then an hour all count towards this device limit>??

Devices are tracked only for abt. a week. 

15 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

how do i have 250 devices if there is a 25 limit?

Limit applies only to devices that use Premiere features, not total number of devices, Devices tab is irrelevant for Premiere limit. 

https://emby.media/support/articles/Premiere-Limits.html

scott46953

Ok, but the next question is.... when looking to upgrade I get confused on the upgrade limit....

If i currently paid for 15 that was upgraded to 25 now... thanks by the way... 

so it is 25 plus the added 45 for a total of 70? or is it just changing the 25 to 45?

Doesnt all Emby Live TV & DVR and hardware acceleration (since it is Emby Premiere subscription required)... all count towards this limit? most devices will do this just playing video.

If all devices, since most do, why cant i control the quality of the transcoding?  The picture size is not manually selectable, the only thing manual is bitrate..

I had to raise the bit rate on a UHD live channel to over 8 to get a 1080 picture.... while watching Nascar, however i should be at UHD at any bitrate I chose. or within a custom range.

Why does UHD live never use Hardware Acceleration?  I'm guessing the audio codec preventing it?  or is it just me? my next step on my nv3060 was change off the gaming driver to studio

If I upgrade to 45 limit, that doesn't seem much from 25 to be honest, and it runs out again.  It does not seem practical to build another computer system to make a new server account, so for future examples what should be done? How would I sync that together, sounds like a headache.

Is there an up coming sale on Emby upgrades? lol :)

scott46953

it would be nice if instead of telling my sister she needs to upgrade to watch live channel that i'm on the phone asking her to play...

that it should be nice and friendlier by telling the server owner on screen popup, WARNING: Over Device Limit Reached!!!  If device limit not upgraded soon (or by X date), connections or devices maybe effected.  Right now all I see is a little message in a Emby premier menu with nothing else to warn me about a serious issue.

GrimReaper
4 hours ago, scott46953 said:

so it is 25 plus the added 45 for a total of 70? or is it just changing the 25 to 45?

Extended Premiere options are not cumulative. 

https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html

Doesnt all Emby Live TV & DVR and hardware acceleration (since it is Emby Premiere subscription required)... all count towards this limit?

LiveTV and HWA are Premiere features, yes. 

https://emby.media/support/articles/Premiere-Feature-Matrix.html

Devices using Premiere features are tracked for about a week, as already said and as denoted in the Premiere limits link posted above. 

If all devices, since most do, why cant i control the quality of the transcoding?  The picture size is not manually selectable, the only thing manual is bitrate..

I had to raise the bit rate on a UHD live channel to over 8 to get a 1080 picture.... while watching Nascar, however i should be at UHD at any bitrate I chose. or within a custom range.

Why does UHD live never use Hardware Acceleration?  I'm guessing the audio codec preventing it?  or is it just me? my next step on my nv3060 was change off the gaming driver to studio

Not sure what you are describing here, but you can raise a separate topic describing your issue. 

If I upgrade to 45 limit, that doesn't seem much from 25 to be honest, and it runs out again.  It does not seem practical to build another computer system to make a new server account, so for future examples what should be done?

Upgrade to 75 devices? Emby is a personal media server platform for own use and sharing with friends and family. For something educational/small business-oriented you can write to billingsupport@emby.media and see if you can come to some sort of agreement, given valid reasons. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

rbjtech
9 hours ago, scott46953 said:

I work at a tv repair shop and I use Emby to test TV's that i fix instead of screwing on a coax cable.

Why not just plugin in the same external device via HDMI to test the repairs ?  Then you'll only use 1 license for every TV fixed.

• Agree 1

scott46953

tv's that are already smart tv's that have "built-in" Roku, android, or smart with Emby app ready for install is much easier then moving around an old last leg AirTV box.

This would defeat the purpose of cables, I think i will resort to plugging in a cox VS using Emby for testing.

Thanks for clearing this up,  I'm deleting everything on my account that is not needed and will use google remote desktop to login to Emby so I'm not counted on myself.

From what I am understanding, i just need to wait for the Device limit to reset or lower itself or purchase a 1 month 45 Devices Monthly, but this says  (recurring).

I will contact billing tomorrow if i have anymore questions.

Thanks for your time.

scott46953

I just got a can not play the football game over this...  on my own device....

so none of my current devices are working?  This is not counting correclty.  I will defintly be using google remote

On 10/8/2023 at 2:10 PM, scott46953 said:

I just got a can not play the football game over this...  on my own device....

so none of my current devices are working?  This is not counting correclty.  I will defintly be using google remote

HI, we're sorry to hear about this. Please email billingsupport@emby.media

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Beddu85

hi guys,

i don't understand one point.

If i have 1 device that use Emby Premier, example APP Smartphone and I will change my smartphone with new smartphone...

Can I remove Premier access from my old smartphone?

The Emby Premiere device limit will is 1 or 2?

in this link https://emby.media/support/articles/Premiere-Limits.html there are 2 different answer (1 that the limit is for a week, 2 that the user can't remove device from list, but i can just wait 1 week to remove device from list):

1. How long does a device count towards my limit?

The system tracks device usage for about a week. So you need to count only devices used regularly by your users when estimating the limit for you. It is important to understand this is a device access limit NOT a concurrent connection limit.

2. How do I "knock" a device off the list?

You can't. The system tracks this automatically. Note, the devices you see listed in the "Devices" section of your dashboard are not your Premiere devices. Premiere devices are tracked by key, not by server and only if they use Premiere features.

Can you help me?

23 hours ago, Beddu85 said:

there are 2 different answer (1 that the limit is for a week, 2 that the user can't remove device from list

Hi.  Both statements are true.  You cannot remove a device yourself but it will go away after a week of non-use.

Does that make sense?

scott46953

Yes thanks for clearing that up, next step is, I need something on my screen that shows me in detail, when a device was... 

First started premier service,

Current end date at premier service... In which this date should be changed according to the last time it was seen and used the premiere service.

Also this menu needs to show what account the device goes to. 

Needs to be easily read and understood by everybody that's currently a premiere member.

I feel like I'm riding blind, all I have to go by is a premier screen that says

within limit

Getting close to limit

Over limit

I have no notification when I am over my limit, there's also nothing in the scheduled tasks to check for this.

The only way I get greeted currently by this is usually unexpectedly when a device does not provide a premiere option, usually shows up in the form of not being able to play live TV.  Generally done in a rude fashion to whatever device it occurs on.

It would also be nice to limit premier options per user, for example if Joe blow has a premiere limit set for two by the server, and Joe blow decides to load up a third TV, when he is within max connection but has met the server premiere max setting, at that time he should be greeted with the current standard message to upgrade as a donation to The MB team.

I also think in the ending result would incur less demand premiere from server. And more funds for upgrades to the premier server team at MB, and a happier server owner. :)

also an actual number current to the premier count...  I don't like not knowing if I'm one away from the max.

Edited by scott46953

32 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

Yes thanks for clearing that up, next step is, I need something on my screen that shows me in detail, when a device was... 

First started premier service,

Current end date at premier service... In which this date should be changed according to the last time it was seen and used the premiere service.

Also this menu needs to show what account the device goes to. 

Needs to be easily read and understood by everybody that's currently a premiere member.

I feel like I'm riding blind, all I have to go by is a premier screen that says

within limit

Getting close to limit

Over limit

I have no notification when I am over my limit, there's also nothing in the scheduled tasks to check for this.

The only way I get greeted currently by this is usually unexpectedly when a device does not provide a premiere option, usually shows up in the form of not being able to play live TV.  Generally done in a rude fashion to whatever device it occurs on.

It would also be nice to limit premier options per user, for example if Joe blow has a premiere limit set for two by the server, and Joe blow decides to load up a third TV, when he is within max connection but has met the server premiere max setting, at that time he should be greeted with the current standard message to upgrade as a donation to The MB team.

I also think in the ending result would incur less demand premiere from server. And more funds for upgrades to the premier server team at MB, and a happier server owner. :)

also an actual number current to the premier count...  I don't like not knowing if I'm one away from the max.

Hi.  From the same article:

Why can't I see which devices are counted in my limit?

The main reason we do not provide a way to do this at this time is security and privacy. To allow your server to see this exact information would require us to expose a public API that provides this information. Since we do not require you to have an account with us in order to use Premiere, there is no way for us to secure this API in a way that we are comfortable enough with to expose it. We are working on ways we may be able to do this in the future.

scott46953

Why does that not make sense?

If the user is on my server, I obviously know who they are and the information is already available to me. Either from the server itself or by other means available to the server operator.

So in best regards can you clarify what private information that is already on my server that I'm not allowed to see??  I don't like knowing that I got private information on my computer from the server hiding that I don't know about,, let alone or forum, from any source...

Showing me information from other server owners is not what I'm talking about.

scott46953

So if I create a new emby account, pay for premier device limit 45.  And then I go out and I buy 50 streaming sticks, I shall be able to use 44 of those for a week without any issues of messages from upgrading..

The minute I go to 46 devices, any any device after 45 shall show no premiere options without upgrading...

Is this correct?

But you're saying to show me what devices are counted on your premier list count is against privacy?

What privacy is it against, I don't know any API that has a privacy against showing a server owner what devices are counted as connections.

1 hour ago, scott46953 said:

So in best regards can you clarify what private information that is already on my server that I'm not allowed to see??

This information is not on your server.  Premiere devices are not tracked on your server or by server.  They are tracked by key on our admin server.   Creating an API to access detailed information is a possible attack vector since your server has no way of authenticating with ours at this time (we don't require you to create an account with us).  We continue to investigate ways to provide some of this information safely and securely but, in all honesty, it isn't our top priority because the vast majority of our users using the product as intended have absolutely no issue with the device limits. 

• Like 2

Beddu85
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Both statements are true.  You cannot remove a device yourself but it will go away after a week of non-use.

Does that make sense?

that make sense if the 2 point are write in the same phrase.

Example:

How do I "knock" a device off the list?

Yes, you can remove your device!! You just wait 1 week to inactivity device!!

About question of Scot i think that he is right.

I buy Emby Premier with 25 device and with my server i will manage the device I must have te possibility of delete or add one device premier.

I think that there is a very sample solution...

You "emby solution" use the same system to check key and account premier, only 25 device with same key, but in my "emby server" you add in "device list" the flag for every device present in list "accept/not accept if use Premier". With this system i will decline access from one device that use Premier 🙂

bye

• 3 weeks later...
OSBuckeyes4Life

It’s a very bad user experience, and the face you think as an app you can block devices, it’s not going to end well for Emby. It’s a personal, I repeat, personal media server, what gives you the right to tell me who I can share my media with. All the users that hit 25 are your best users so best of luck when they start falling off. Yay Go Emby, I finally have something to complain about. 

I mean come on, “We” keep track of your devices, fuck off!

Lambtalk
On 1/12/2024 at 4:29 AM, ebr said:

This information is not on your server.  Premiere devices are not tracked on your server or by server.  They are tracked by key on our admin server.   Creating an API to access detailed information is a possible attack vector since your server has no way of authenticating with ours at this time (we don't require you to create an account with us).  We continue to investigate ways to provide some of this information safely and securely but, in all honesty, it isn't our top priority because the vast majority of our users using the product as intended have absolutely no issue with the device limits. 

Just trying to understand the flow of things to hopefully clear this up for other users.

So when a client app connects to a media server, it retrieves the license key/the server shares the license key with the client app, then the client app shares that key directly with the Emby Admin server?
Emby Admin server presumably checks that the key being shared matches to the server that the client is connected to, and if so, adds +1 to the device list against the key?

What happens in the event that the Key being passed from the client app to the Emby Admin server does not match against the media server the client has connected to? eg. the client device has fraudulently used a valid key from someone else's server and is sharing that with Emby as part of the license check.