Blank screen on Live TV

EmbyOak

EmbyOak

I have a friend who is on my Emby server, everything works great except Live TV.  He gets audio, but a white or pixelated video.  I've tried playing with the settings, nothing fixes it.  He is using an AppleTV.

I had another friend complain this weekend that his Live TV off of my server doesn't work, same symptoms as above.  He uses AppleTVs as well. At a third friend's place this weekend, who doesn't use LiveTV, I tried the LiveTV, same thing, white blank screen with the audio playing.

In troubleshooting this morning, I have my one friend admin rights.  No change.  Still a blank screen with audio working.  I can do this with my iPhone as well using the Emby app using his account, LiveTV doesn't work.  When I use my account, everything works perfectly on my AppleTVs and the Emby app on my iPhone.

I do not know if this is because they have not purchased Emby and I have, but it is weird that my credentials allow LiveTV to work and their credentials do not.

embyserver-10.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ef006fa0-c74a-463c-8d65-175a77480661_1.txt

EmbyOak

For fun I tried a Roku.  Same thing. I have no problems watching LiveTV but when I switch to my buddy's credentials, I get a blank white screen.

EmbyOak

Correction.  It happens with web as well.  I was testing a network channel this morning which worked fine for myself and my friend's user but when I tried other channels this evening, those channels continued to work for me but not for my friend.

I looked at the stats of the show and saw that it is converting subtitles directly into the video.  When I turned off subtitles, the picture worked.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 8.22.13 PM.png

EmbyOak

Many more channels are working on Roku now with closed caption disabled.  There are still a few stragglers which is weird.

When it comes to the Emby app on the iPhone, there were still channels that were having issues with the blank white screen so I played with more functions and forced 2 channel instead of multi-channel.  This cleared up the remaining channels that were having issues.

I have not tested the AppleTV with my buddy's credentials as of yet.  That stated, I did notice, not with just LiveTV but video content in my library, when I start a program it hangs, I have to hit the back scroll button and this kicks things in to working, otherwise it just hangs at 0:00.  The remote on the appletv for scroll back or forward does not move in 10s increments anymore.  If you push the scroll button it seems to act like you are holding the scroll button down permanently, you need to hit the scroll direction one more time to cancel it.

EmbyOak

I can confirm I can get this to occur with accounts that are not mine, consistently.  It has to do with closed caption. Once closed caption is off, I have video.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, are you still having an issue with this using the latest update to Emby for Apple TV and Emby Server?

EmbyOak

This apparently does not happen with Firesticks nor Nvidia Shield devices.  I have not personally tested but I've been told by a friend who has both has not had an issue but those with Roku and AppleTVs on his server are experiencing the issue.

hstamas

I see this as well using the VirtualTV plugin (playing local files).

If I hit enter on the remote sometimes the screen comes back, sometimes I have to exit playback and start again.

• 2 weeks later...
EmbyOak

I just tried this on a Roku and it worked as it should.  I tried it on a friend's AppleTV last night and it seemed to work as well.  No changes to my server, still running 4.8.0.21-Beta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
EmbyOak

I seem to have set everyone up with "no subtitles" in the web front end and that works.  I just added a friend to my system last week (Roku).  He got the issue before I disabled subtitles via the web front end for his accoount.

These are the logs.

ffmpeg-transcode-6de2d678-b126-4791-bc55-3044cce13231_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-cf162046-b20e-4524-b988-77eeecc9687c_1.txt

17 hours ago, EmbyOak said:

I seem to have set everyone up with "no subtitles" in the web front end and that works.  I just added a friend to my system last week (Roku).  He got the issue before I disabled subtitles via the web front end for his accoount.

These are the logs.

ffmpeg-transcode-6de2d678-b126-4791-bc55-3044cce13231_1.txt 111.76 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-cf162046-b20e-4524-b988-77eeecc9687c_1.txt 220.39 kB · 1 download

I would try updating to the latest server build and see how that compares. Thanks.