Playback stops when moving from WiFi to Mobile

bigfry

I see this has been brought up several times over the last few years so wanted to check if there has been any traction on getting the player to switch networks when leaving the local WiFi?

The biggest hassle is plugging my phone into the car, starting some music, then pulling out of the driveway and getting one song before it stops. Only solutions I have at the moment are to wait until I've left the area before starting music (which doesn't work if Android Auto decides to auto start playing on connection and I need driving directions), turn off WiFi before plugging in, or wait for the playback to stop, then force close and restart the app on my phone.

If I could get the "Local IP address" to populate as the remote address (domain name), then theoretically it could work, but no matter what I change in the Network Settings, the local address always displays as the servers IP address. I've also tried deleting the "local" server and adding by remote domain name in the app, and it works once, but next time I start the app it's back to the server's local IP address.

Is there a way to force the "In-Home (LAN) access" field to populate as the remote domain address? I do have my network set up so this will work locally, but realize this could be a very bad setup for most people. Or even better, is there a chance that clean network switching will be implemented in the player in the near future?

• Like 2

It would be nice...

Personally I close the app, turn off WiFi, and then reopen the app to start playing media. I imagine it comes down to priorities for the emby dev team. 

MikeD315

I thought I was the only one that this happens to.  It's super frustrating like you said, when you start music and pull out of the driveway and then it craps out.  I have to fully close the app and start over to get it going again.  How is there not a function in the app to attempt to re-connect when the WAN connection changes?  Seems like a pretty simple fix.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luke said:

For the player in the middle of playback, not yet, but it's on our radar.

Thanks for responding. Hopefully sooner than later.

What about changing the "Local Address" the server reports, or disabling the android app from overwriting the address I've manually added when it connects to the local network? Are those options that I'm overlooking or misconfiguring?

You can control the local network address in emby server network settings but I would not hack that to be a remote address as it will cause other problems.

13 hours ago, Luke said:

You can control the local network address in emby server network settings but I would not hack that to be a remote address as it will cause other problems.

Tried that and it didn't take 🤷‍♂️

In settings it saved the external domain, but the android app continues to revert to the local IP address. Guess I'll try some other stuff on my end then.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1