Fire Cube v3 not playing 4K .mkv files

TechLife

Dizzy49
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

If it were me, I'd just get a much cheaper 4K Max stick - it'll play everything the Cube will do (incl AV1) at a much-reduced price and you can then move it to another TV etc when the new Shield does eventually come out .. ?

I actually bought a 4k Max Stick at the same time, just in case.  But neither are really giving me anything over the LG App, so I'm thinking I'll stick to it for simplicity sake.  I'll revisit when the new Shield comes out, OR Amazon fixes their Cube.

I'm half tempted to build another HTPC.  I had a HTPC running Kodi YEARS AND YEARS ago.  Ran great, but once I got married using a keyboard as a remote wasn't going to cut it.  I haven't even looked into costs or remotes or anything.  I might try to hook up my laptop to the TV/Soundbar tomorrow for S&G to see what happens.

• Like 1

Dizzy49

Is it possible to transcode the TrueHD to DD+ and keep the Atmos metadata?

I'd set up a script that would go through all my files and anything with TrueHD I would have it transcode, and then add that audio stream to the file.

rbjtech
42 minutes ago, Dizzy49 said:

Is it possible to transcode the TrueHD to DD+ and keep the Atmos metadata?

I'd set up a script that would go through all my files and anything with TrueHD I would have it transcode, and then add that audio stream to the file.

Embedded AC3 core (5.1) is probably the best quality wise, but maybe a THD 7.1 to EAC3 7.1 conversion will preserve all the channels but I don't believe the tools to extract the object based data from the Atmos metadata are available.

rbjtech
7 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

ah really !  Thanks for the link - interesting.

edit - still only a 10/100 Ethernet Port - so for top end 4K Remux's - it's going to struggle.

I'll still wait for the Shield 2023 I think .. 😆

Edited by rbjtech

7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

still only a 10/100 Ethernet Port

Certainly its wireless performance is way over that, no?

99.9% of the general public do not have wired networks anymore so I understand them not spending a penny more than necessary on an Ethernet port.  They are selling the device to you at a loss already.

TechLife
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Certainly its wireless performance is way over that, no?

99.9% of the general public do not have wired networks anymore so I understand them not spending a penny more than necessary on an Ethernet port.  They are selling the device to you at a loss already.

WiFi 6 802.11ax

Mine is only hitting around 360mbps, but I have no issues streaming full 4K mkv’s (once we got them working lol)

VirulentPip
8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

edit - still only a 10/100 Ethernet Port - so for top end 4K Remux's - it's going to struggle.

You can use a USB 2.0 Ethernet adaptor, I do this and never get bellow 350-400Mbps. More than enough. 

I use 5GHz wireless and have no problems, but then again the router isn't far at all, use the adapter in another room. 

rbjtech
50 minutes ago, VirulentPip said:

You can use a USB 2.0 Ethernet adaptor, I do this and never get bellow 350-400Mbps. More than enough. 

I use 5GHz wireless and have no problems, but then again the router isn't far at all, use the adapter in another room. 

Yep - and I have wired all my FireTV sticks this way.

As a network/security guy - wireless is for when you have no other choice (portable devices..) - for a fixed device - use a fixed wired connection.  

If you don't - and are streaming high bitrate 4K over your ISP supplied AP behind 3 layers of brick wall - then ax or not, it simply is not going to work ...  If you're smart enough to invest in multiple decent AP's, then you're probably also smart enough to know wired delivers you a problem free connection..

I'd like to get feedback on if the HD Audio passthrough is just for the HDMI in/out - if so, then actually it brings nothing new to the game anyway.

Edited by rbjtech

VirulentPip
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I'd like to get feedback on if the HD Audio passthrough is just for the HDMI in/out

I have one coming tomorrow, so if not already answered by someone I’ll let you know. 

• Thanks 1

TechLife
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Yep - and I have wired all my FireTV sticks this way.

As a network/security guy - wireless is for when you have no other choice (portable devices..) - for a fixed device - use a fixed wired connection.  

If you don't - and are streaming high bitrate 4K over your ISP supplied AP behind 3 layers of brick wall - then ax or not, it simply is not going to work ...  If you're smart enough to invest in multiple decent AP's, then you're probably also smart enough to know wired delivers you a problem free connection..

Good call. As a network and home automation engineer using Untangle/Ruckus, my observation isn’t common. I forget in the real world using ISP provided equipment is common.

That being said, I couldn’t agree with you more. I hardwire EVERYTHING possible. Wireless is a fallback convenience, not a go-to staple

• Like 1